Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

Sort by date added

milhose96 says:
I would love to be able to sort my tasks on any given list by the date I originally added it. This way I could easily see which tasks I am putting off, because they would be at the top of my lists. I have found that I like to not use priorities and due dates when not necessary, but with that being said my lists feel fairly unorganized. My favorite feature of a paper-based task list is just that; if I have something not completed above a ton of completed tasks, I know that I am putting it off and that I should be either focusing on it, or reconsidering if I need to do it at all.
Posted at 2:35am on February 16, 2009
Launched
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
This sorting option (and more!) are available in the new Remember The Milk. Thanks for everyone's feedback on this!
Posted 7 years ago
ken.weirman says:
+1
Posted 14 years ago
(closed account) says:
+1
Posted 14 years ago
joellybaby says:
+1
Absolutely!!
Posted 14 years ago
(closed account) says:
I agree 100%. If you were able to sort by date added, it would be my preferred sorting for all my lists. Please :) Please :)
Posted 14 years ago
achao says:
+1
Posted 14 years ago
lewen7er9 says:
I'm surprised this isn't already a feature.

+1
Posted 14 years ago
jyaruss says:
Yes, please.
Posted 14 years ago
kammersgaard says:
me too :-)
Posted 14 years ago
kevin_xk says:
me too
Posted 14 years ago
leah.shalom Power Poster says:
I think that you can do this by adding addedBefore:today (or whichever day you want) to the search box. You will then also see the date added in your task details box.
Posted 14 years ago
mariusbernard says:
Yes exactly, sorting by date/time added is necessary.
Posted 14 years ago
(closed account) says:
+1
Posted 14 years ago
jasonfounts says:
Might as well tack me onto this list. I like the workaround for displaying the date added but would like this visible as well. Thanks!
Posted 14 years ago
roland.malaprade says:
+1
Posted 14 years ago
jacotj says:
+1
Posted 14 years ago
kapilapshankar says:
+1
Posted 14 years ago
chris.preen says:
+ 10 !
Posted 14 years ago
kenston says:
+1!
Posted 14 years ago
travia20 says:
Why can't we sort by date added?
Posted 14 years ago
fudzzz says:
Yep, I really can't believe these guys left out that simple sort feature. Date added would be the most useful way to sort stuff, and that would be my preferred method
Posted 14 years ago
doobie31 says:
Agree completely. Our "tasks" don't really have a due date, they're all of equal priority and we just won't to take care of them sequentially and right now there's no way to do that that I can see.
Posted 13 years ago
steve23606 says:
+1
Posted 13 years ago
mrkrb says:
Definitely would like to see the task list by date and not alphabetically
Posted 13 years ago
ofire says:
+1
Posted 13 years ago
petterj says:
+1
Posted 13 years ago
ekmagos says:
The added date is already stored so it seems like it is just an interface issue where the option is made available. Hopefully that can be made a priority.
Posted 13 years ago
thommeread says:
+1. A GTD must.
Posted 13 years ago
huebler says:
+1
Posted 13 years ago
wfindlay says:
+1
Posted 13 years ago
dbavirt says:
I want better access to date added, date modified, and date completed. I know the first and last are available, since when I search for addedBefore:today or completedBefore:today the values show up in the box. I want to be able to find stale items.
Posted 13 years ago
x01509 says:
+1
Posted 13 years ago
anthony.hamlet says:
+1 This one feature will make GTD work sooo much better for me!
Posted 13 years ago
philipglevy says:
yes, please!
Posted 13 years ago
guice says:
My way of getting round this is to put the date in the description and then sorting by "Task Name". Gareth
Posted 13 years ago
nocebicmeme says:
+1
Posted 13 years ago
anthony.hamlet says:
I will reiterate my desire for this feature. This one feature means sooo much when I have really long lists. I don't use priorities, preferring to work off of order added.
Posted 13 years ago
kjandb says:
+1 PLEASE!!!
Posted 13 years ago
aleksi says:
+1 So small and so important change! Please!
Posted 13 years ago
barden says:
I also need this badly :)
Posted 13 years ago
pauljacobson says:
This has been bugging me since I switched to RTM and I came up with a solution which doesn't look very pretty but it does work. What I have started doing is adding the date which I add the tasks to my lists to the name of the tasks in the following format:

"2010-MM-DD Name of task"

MM = month in digits (October is 10, November is 11 and so on)
DD = day in digits (01, 01, 03 and so on)

I then sort my list/s by task name and RTM uses the date to sort by date. If I sort by due date, for example, RTM sorts by due date and then by my new date added using the dates.
Posted 13 years ago
craig.broadbear says:
i need this. Im currently looking for a replacement that does this sorting by default.
Posted 13 years ago
craig.broadbear says:
i like to quickly add several tasks at a time - i dont mess around with due dates I just want a list in the same order I enter the tasks. e.g. like a text file!

Posted 13 years ago
aleksi says:
Dear RTM, may you please implement it? It's a must-have feature, it's very simple and it doesn't breakes design at all!

May you _at lease_ add this date as invisible attribute to task row? This way it can be handled in "A Bit Better RTM".
Posted 13 years ago
aleksi says:
addedBefore:"2 weeks of today" works, but it sucks.
Posted 13 years ago
anthony.hamlet says:
Maintaining the order of added is an essential tool to use getting things done. Being able to sort by date added will be very helpful for me to know what has been sitting on my list the longest.
Posted 13 years ago
pyrho says:
+1
Posted 13 years ago
oystein_garnes says:
+1
Posted 12 years ago
german.escallon says:
Yes!! Developers.. This is a basic feature that should've been there from the beginning. It resembles a paper list. Duh!!!
Posted 12 years ago
lkolny says:
+1 it's a pity there was no response from RTM team on that subject :-(
Posted 12 years ago
dvanee says:
This is a great suggestion. I like the sort by Due Date and Priority but I would love the option for the third level to be by Date Added. I often postpone items, or have a number with no due date or priority. Having these sorted alphabetically by task name will sometimes group tasks if I have named them similar but I would prefer these to be by date added so I can see what I have been putting off.
Posted 12 years ago
agentofchange says:
really would like this feature also!
Posted 12 years ago
pjpw says:
Come on RTM. This is a must have and as the date added is already captured just not displayed by default surely it would not be too difficult to implement.

How about some feedback here please as to whether it is even being contemplated.
Posted 12 years ago
robin.shortt says:
+1
Posted 12 years ago
anthony.hamlet says:
Pretty please with sugar on top
Posted 12 years ago
jpetro says:
if you add a note it's puts a date on it, but this feature would be great.
Thanks
Posted 12 years ago
ranbarton Power Poster says:
I think this sorting request should be merged with this one here (http://www.rememberthemilk.com/forums/ideas/11914/), which is (as far as I can tell) the mother of all "More sorting options, please!" thread.
Posted 12 years ago
(closed account) says:
Adding my own voice to this as well. Please add this.
Posted 12 years ago
chante.drasdis says:
I love RTM, but we need a chronological tool. Staleness is all over!
Posted 12 years ago
henrikba says:
@leah.shalom: Great tip - I have so far been relying on geeing around in the iCal export to find add date!! Phew and thanks!

@Bob: Banana from me if you get this implemented!!
Posted 12 years ago
mattrz says:
Soon after I wrote my last entry, the Android app was released so I renewed. Now let's get this sorting feature implemented, preferably before another entire year goes by!
Posted 12 years ago
mattrz says:
addedBefore:today does not sort the list by date added for me. Am I doing something wrong, or does this workaround merely give you a way of viewing a date-added-range, but no way to sort by date added?
Posted 12 years ago
freddieq says:
I use a task management system called "SuperFocus". To use SuperFocus, I need to be able to list the tasks in the order that I added them. Since RTM doesn't currently let me sort by create date, I'm having to use a workaround. What I've come up with is using the due date as a makeshift create date (I use a SmartList to add tasks and the SmartList is set up to set the due date to "Today".) Of course, this means I need a workaround to handle tasks that have an actual due date. So, I use tags to flag them. This is the best workaround I've been able to come up with so far, but it means I'm having to give up a lot of valuable natural functionality to do it. I could give up this contorted mess (and I would in an instant), if it were just possible to sort lists by the create date.
Posted 12 years ago
peter.wolk says:
This thread started in February, 2009! That's three years!

I've been a pro user for some time now - the only improvement I've seen at the interface level (I like many others don't have any kind of urgent need for iPad, iPhone, Android,and on and on) was the Smart Add.

I've said before, elsewhere, that not providing regular improvement updates is a strong negative in many dimensions. Especially when we're talking about such a simple, useful, and requested, feature to implement as this. Ohne that's on the verge of mandatory for many users.

The data is there. Making it visible by default has to be easy. And I presume that adding another sort option is straightforward too. Assuming users will just continue to create awkward and unsatisfactory workarounds forever with no commitment from RTM to release requested features by a certain date is ... (fill in an appropriate word here!)

'Nuf said.
Posted 12 years ago
torborg says:
Please add this! I need it for the SuperFokus system
Posted 12 years ago
anthony.hamlet says:
I've now paid for a pro account 3 times and have been looking for this option since I joined. Peter.Wolk phrased my frustration quite well. This would help me sooo much in managing my lists.
Posted 12 years ago
jessicamiller00 says:
Yes!! Yes!! I would LOVE to be able to sort tasks by creation date. This would allow RTM to be used with the Autofocus task-managment system.
Posted 12 years ago
brett_mumaw says:
Please add me to this list.
Posted 12 years ago
mattrz says:
We're all still waiting for this??? Please please please I don't have time research some other system that lets me do this!
Posted 12 years ago
sleeve says:
Need this urgently.
Posted 11 years ago
kylir says:
Come on RTM! Do SOMETHING!
Posted 11 years ago
kammersgaard says:
I second Peter.Wolk, I have also been a paying user for three years and I really need this feature. You can't just keep saying that you will look into it.
Posted 11 years ago
anthony.hamlet says:
Has anyone tried syncing to Microsoft Outlook to try sorting by date in there? If it works I am wondering if it might be worth purchasing Microsoft Outlook to use the sort options there.
Posted 11 years ago
s.mackesey says:
Please, please add this feature. This must be a simple thing. Hordes of people have been calling for it for years. I signed up for pro because I love other aspects of this service, but seeing that this issue still has not been addressed is making me question the support I will receive...
Posted 11 years ago
mgercke says:
I also don't use the due-date for 80% of my tasks.
So I end up with a long list without additional information.
A "sort by date_added" would help a lot.
I my with list I would color-code the tasks when they are sorted by date_added, so that I can easily see which tasks are "critical".
But ok, that's not a must and I guess I could work with an add-on for that.
But the "sort by date_added" would help a lot!
Posted 11 years ago
afmaury says:
I would like to see this added as well.
Posted 11 years ago
tdelaet says:
+1
Posted 11 years ago
gegillo says:
+1
Posted 11 years ago
adoran2 says:
You can get to see the data in the detail panel for individual tasks if you use a search that contains addedWithin, e.g. addedWithin:"50 years of today". Not ideal but it helps a little bit.
Posted 11 years ago
radekfris says:
+1
Posted 11 years ago
kristinang says:
+1 :)
Posted 11 years ago
th91444 says:
hmmmm
Posted 11 years ago
giro says:
+1
Posted 11 years ago
jaywiese says:
Yes please! Can't imagine this would be very difficult to implement...
Posted 11 years ago
xxjohnboy says:
+1
Posted 10 years ago
xxjohnboy says:
+2 actually
Posted 10 years ago
irkrps says:
+1
Posted 10 years ago
omar.torres says:
+1
Posted 10 years ago
alfredo.dimaunahan says:
+1. very helpful when implementing the Final Version technique in RTM
Posted 10 years ago
russ.charif says:
+1
Posted 10 years ago
admirau says:
+1
Posted 8 years ago
erosin47 says:
I just recently signed up for RTM... I'm surprised that there is no response in here from someone there -- other service providers seem to have people who come in and let people know what's going on (or not going on). I'd really like to have a function like this, too, for a number of reasons.
Posted 8 years ago
pean says:
+1
Posted 7 years ago
withouthavingseen says:
Pleeeeeease
Posted 7 years ago
You cannot comment on this idea as it is locked.