Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

Google Quick Search Box integration

(closed account) says:
I have always loved being able to quickly add tasks via Quicksilver, but it seems that the days of Quicksilver are coming to a close. The developer has released a new app with Google called Quick Search Box (QSB) which is quite similar to Quicksilver. The latest version works quite well. Has anyone begun trying to implement an RTM plugin for the application?

Peace,
Bram
Posted at 12:52pm on February 7, 2009
joostvdree says:
This would be great! I thing quick search box has a big future ahead since it is now also available for windows. A RTM plugin would be great!
Posted 14 years ago
dbrunet says:
I'd second that - an RTM plugin is needed!
Posted 14 years ago
(closed account) says:
That'd be cool indeed !
Posted 14 years ago
(closed account) says:
yes please... anyone out there?
Posted 14 years ago
roopesh says:
I just dug into the QSB built in iTunes plugin and noticed it's all written in Applescript. I developed an Applescript-based integration with Entourage, and I think I'll be able to take bits and pieces and port it to QSB.

I'll give it a try over the next few days/weeks and post back if I can figure it out.
Posted 14 years ago
roopesh says:
Wow, QSB is horribly undocumented. This will take longer than I thought...
Posted 14 years ago
apjk says:
+1 for a QSB plug in… i'd love that. (the single most reason i can't move away from quicksilver)
Posted 14 years ago
joostvdree says:
@ roopesh
hang in there!
Posted 14 years ago
(closed account) says:
@roopesh

I was thinking of doing the same thing (run via applescript). I need a quick entry mode like crazy. Have you made progress on this at all, or should I start looking at coding my own?
Posted 14 years ago
(closed account) says:
I hope you guys have some success with this. I've been using QSB for the past week and I'm loving it. All it's now lacking for me is the ability to search my gmail and RTM integration.
Posted 14 years ago
(closed account) says:
I'm hoping that those brave and much more tech savvy than me people on this forum can figure out how to develop an RTM plugin. Everyday I hope!

Thanks.
Posted 14 years ago
(closed account) says:
@roopesh

Was just looking through your Entourage script to see if I could port it over to GQSB. That's a huge script, man. I'm digging through it, but I could use a hand to weed out the unimportant parts.

Just as a poll, would people be happy (for now) if there was just a way to dump a new task in the Inbox? Or do people absolutely need list integration?
Posted 14 years ago
ranbarton Power Poster says:
Inbox is all I need.

Does the new Smart Add handle all that?
Posted 14 years ago
(closed account) says:
Theoretically, you should be able to use the smart add syntax to put it wherever you want, but the old Quicksilver plugin would allow you to specify the list directly.

Anyone versed in getting the Auth to work via applescript? Or is there someone out there who knows more about Python than I do? I am drowning in this. It's over my head.
Posted 14 years ago
(closed account) says:
Dumping a new task would do me for starters.
Posted 14 years ago
(closed account) says:
I would be happy with dumping a task into the inbox
Posted 14 years ago
eric.belt says:
I'm also for development of a RTM plugin exactly like the Quicksilver plugin. I have QS installed solely for the purpose of easily adding tasks to RTM. It is THE QUICKEST way to add tasks.
Posted 14 years ago
(closed account) says:
It will be hard to implement the QSB plugin the same as the QS plugin, due to the lack of third pane support in QSB. But with Smart Add, you can designate lists and such inline.
Posted 14 years ago
amirmasoudabdol says:
Great, This is cool.
Posted 14 years ago
(closed account) says:
I would also love a qsb-plugin with the smart-add-syntax.
Posted 14 years ago
stevemoser says:
bump
Posted 14 years ago
(closed account) says:
The smart-add syntax is built into the API, so it would automatically be included in the QSB plugin.

Again, if there is someone who is more adept at either Objective C, or Python than me, or someone who has actually gotten the auth to work via Applescript, let me know. I have been pecking at it here and there, but no luck.

Or if anyone knows a way to (instead of using the auth token), send a username / password to RTM, QSB has a built in accounts manager, so we could use that.
Posted 14 years ago
(closed account) says:
Could you not just get it to use the mail to rtm feature? i.e. just run
a command in the background with sendmail. Something like:

sendmail user@rmilk.com
subject: the task tomorrow at 2pm !1 @home #.tag http://a.url
Posted 14 years ago
(closed account) says:
I mean so QSB sends the text that the user inputs to the subject part of the sendmail command. Not sure if this would be possible, but it might work. I have this kind of thing working with rtm with an applescript I've put together a while back.
Posted 14 years ago
(closed account) says:
Yeah, but it's not exactly the most efficient way of doing it. That method would assume that people have a desktop email client to tap into, which I personally don't like to use. Building an actual QSB plugin would be MUCH easier to use once it's created.

Just in case people are curious, I have been working on this. Had to teach myself Python to do it, but I am about 90% there. Having some trouble with the auth right now, but once my comment gets approved on the API mailing list (*cough*seriously-it's-been-2-days*cough*) I should *hopefully* get that bug worked out. Once I get it working, it will be open sourced so people can clean up my amateur python code, and possibly add new features to it.

But god damn it, I was tired of waiting.
Posted 14 years ago
(closed account) says:
See here:

http://www.rememberthemilk.com/forums/tips/8679/
Posted 14 years ago
(closed account) says:
This has been updated to work with the newest version of QSB (which you should seriously get. It's a huge improvement.) You can download here: http://ow.ly/1rBsr

If you have any problems, this is the worst place to tell me about them. Get to me on Twitter: @gfontenot
Posted 13 years ago