Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

Ability to modify one instance of a repeating task, without altering the rest (e.g. change priority on the first instance only)

pstoffel says:
It would be handy to be able to split a repeating task into
- the first occurrence
- the remaining occurrences
That way, you could elevate the first occurrence's priority because it is getting quite urgent, without touching the complete repeating task (the future occurrences remain untouched). You might also add some extra notes to the upcoming occurrence, modify the due date now that you have a clear view on your upcoming agenda,...

I admit, this would solve my previous question too (postpone "every"-repeating tasks)... but doing that with this feature in place would still require an extra step, and that request is (at least for me) a bug, not a 'missing feature' ;-).
Posted at 8:56am on October 7, 2008
hutcheon says:
I agree. It was a shock when I wanted to change an instance of a reoccurring task, but found it changed all the tasks.

Instead of having all of the repeating tasks linked together as one task that shows up several times, have one that holds all the reoccurrences, but no fixed due date, and separate tasks that appear when the due date of the reoccurrence gets closer. Eg:

* Take out the garbage (Due: Today, Priority 1)
* Take out the garbage (Due: Next Tuesday, Priority 3, Note: "Don't forget the yard waste")
* [Reoccurring] Take out the garbage (Due: None, Reoccurring: every 7 days, Priority 3)
Posted 12 years ago
(closed account) says:
This would be consistent with iCal's useful behavior in this respect. It also comports with real life. Sometimes something different happens, even if we want to keep a regular reminder.
Posted 12 years ago
afmaury says:
Does anyone have any workaround ideas for this?
Posted 11 years ago
craig.mcdowell says:
It would be so great to have the option to postpone, re-prioritize and add comments to a single occurrence of a repeating task without affecting every past and future task.
Posted 9 years ago
(closed account) says:
Perhaps this didn't exist when this was originally posted, but the After repeating feature might work.

In order for this idea to work, all the tasks would have to be separated from each other so you could adjust the properties of each one separately. If that's the case, why not just create separate tasks rather than a repeating task.

I'm sure there are counter-arguments, but that's my 2c.
Posted 2 years ago