Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

Option to increase the width of the add-on

torfason says:
Hi, I started using RTM a while ago, and with the RTM application, it's even better. In fact the RTM GMail interface is so nice that I find myself lamenting the lack of width adjustment even more.

Is there any way (even a hack involving the editing of some configuration files) to increase the width of the RTM for GMail plugin?
Posted at 2:58pm on July 31, 2008
torfason says:
Hmm, so I went ahead and did this.

Turned out this was actually hard-coded in a javascript file, which I edited to increase the width (working off the grease-monkey code mentioned here a while ago).

I realize this will lead to maintenance headaches for me in the future, and also that this is may not actually be allowed by the RTMGmail terms. I'm hoping that there will be no hard feelings about that, especially since the only goal is to increase the real estate of RTM on my GMail window. Of course, it would be great to see a version where the width could actually be configured through the RTMGmail options, which would make this hack unneccessary.
Posted 15 years ago
brandonkane says:
This would be great. I would especially love a config setting.
Posted 15 years ago
erik says:
Torfason, I'm a novice code hacker, can you get a bit more specific on the changes you made? I've wanted variable rtmgmail width almost since the day it came out!

Thanks
Posted 15 years ago
asifm42 says:
+1 for variable width for the gmail plugin firefox extension.
Posted 15 years ago
joakim.back says:
I came here looking for the same answer. I'll have to look into the javascript then :)
Posted 15 years ago
david.s.lomas says:
Not sure how practical this is now. I'm no expert, but it seems to me the js used to actually implement the gmail addin is dynamically loaded from the RTM website...

So I would second, third, fourth (wherever we're up to) the idea of making this configurable. I temporarily hand-edited the styles using the DOM inspector to make the column 300px wide instead of the 200px and it was fab on my 1600x1200 monitor :)
Posted 15 years ago
josegd says:
Same feelings.. I cannot take advantage of my screen real estate (22 inch monitor). It would be wonderful to drag the bar to increase / decrease the plugin's width
Posted 15 years ago
felciano says:
Has anyone figured this out? Is this setting, in fact, in one of the installed Javascript files?
Posted 15 years ago
jgbrenner says:
+1 for width
Posted 15 years ago
jacob.stutzman says:
With the new Gmail Labs feature to stick GCal on the left side, my RTM is now ever-so-slightly too big. I'd like to be able to shrink the app just a bit, so add me to the variable width +1'ing.
Posted 15 years ago
tpchris says:
came here looking for the same reduction in width to take advantage of the new google labs widget adder. i'd be in heaven with cal, email and todo list all on one page without needing to use a browser dependent script
Posted 15 years ago
luchie says:
I'd sooner run with the bulls at Pamplona than start hacking Javascript files.. but I'll put my hand up for this feature. It would make the extension PERFECT
Posted 15 years ago
torfason says:
This seems to get bumped up every now and then, and i find this a terribly useful feature. For now I've rolled an adaptation, to get an extra 100px width, into a GreaseMonkey userscript which can be installed from:

http://apps.zulutime.net/rtm/rtm_in_gmail_wide.user.js

It will load two other files dynamically, so I blatantly copied them as well.

Needless to say, since all of the code is copyrighted by RTM, if they object this will have to go down. I hope they won't, at least until the official release gets a width configuration.

And of course, no guarantee of fitness for any purpose is implied.

Best,
Magnus Torfason
Posted 15 years ago
vinthomas says:
I did your script, it is a little buggy in FF3 for mac. But I would love to see this become a feature in the next release of the sidebar.
Posted 15 years ago
matthew.tiffany says:
I'd also appreciate variable width, or the option to move it below the e-mail list.
Posted 15 years ago
naomi.blackburn says:
me too - would be a great function
Posted 15 years ago