Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

Option to automatically hide empty Smart Lists

wally.es says:
First, a little background: I use a lot of smart lists to help me categorize my tasks. I have some that pull tasks for individual projects at work, one for all the next actions I have at work, one for all the next actions I have at home, etc.

I was thinking it would be kind of handy to have these smart lists automatically disappear from my tabs when they are empty. So if I finish off all of my tasks for a given project that smart lists ceases to take up space in my window. Then if I add another task that would end up in that smart list it magically reappears.

Some users might want to see empty an empty list rather than not see the list at all when it's empty, so--at the risk of over-complicating this wonderfully simple UI--maybe it would make sense to have this be configurable for each smart list. Just a checkbox in the list's settings that says, "Autohide when empty." Or the behavior could just be on for all smart lists.
Posted at 7:27pm on April 30, 2008
Launched
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
This is now possible with the new Remember The Milk.

To hide empty Smart Lists (or lists, tags, etc), hover over the "Smart Lists" heading in the left navigation. Click on the dropdown arrow, then choose either "Show all" or "Show with incomplete" (this will hide empty lists).

Hope this helps, and thanks for everyone's feedback on this!
Posted 7 years ago
erik says:
great idea! I live by smartlists and since my screen became cluttered, I had to really cut back. A feature like this would allow my smartlist creativity to roar back to life.
Posted 15 years ago
ranbarton Power Poster says:
Bravo for the best idea seen on these boards in quite some time!

I have, in the past, repeatedly suggested having smart list tabs change color based on specifiable criteria, but I think this is both easier and more useful.

I would love to see this appear in RTM.
Posted 15 years ago
bkudria says:
This would be difficult without the possibility to use colored tabs, I think - you'd always have to scan all the blue tabs to see which ones you have available. With colored tabs, you'd either see or not see your bright red 'urgent' list...

So, uh, count this as another vote for both features.
Posted 15 years ago
bmaddock says:
i would love to see this feature. i create lists for each project i have, and it clutters the GUI to have empty list tabs showing once the project is done. (i don't want to have to delete the list.)
Posted 15 years ago
ranbarton Power Poster says:
@bmaddock - If you have lists that you are done with, you might find this of some use:
http://www.rememberthemilk.com/help/answers/tasks/archivelist.rtm
Posted 15 years ago
pirania says:
Great idea. I mailed this to support, they asked me to upvote it here.
Posted 12 years ago
You cannot comment on this idea as it is locked.