Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

Gmail add-on for Mailplane

joshmchugh says:
It looks like all we need is to have the RTM Gmail extension in the form of a .js/Greasemonkey script, and Greasekit will handle the integration into Mailplane.
Posted at 11:02pm on March 26, 2008
joshmchugh says:
just answering my own post as a cheap method of keeping this request current. We are working on a hackaround of this feature on the Google RTM group. Very close to making it happen, just need a javascript ninja to figure out a greasemonkey script issue with unsafeWindow vs. Window...
Posted 15 years ago
succeedingsteps says:
This would be great to have!
Posted 15 years ago
kanroame says:
This would be exactly what I have been waiting for!!!

Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
Please let me know when this plugin is available -- this will most definitely be excellent!
Posted 15 years ago
chrisgib says:
great news - please let us know when it's available. I have no idea how to use Greasemonkey so make it easy! Thanks
Posted 15 years ago
tricon says:
Has there been an update on this?

Thanks!
Posted 15 years ago
scottkesler says:
I too would love to see this happen.
Posted 15 years ago
dotdean says:
would be awesome. please let it happen.
Posted 15 years ago
jonathanbloom says:
This is something I'd also like to see.
Posted 15 years ago
mecallahan49 says:
I agree. Mailplane is very cool and all it really needs is a way to display RTM like it does in Gmail with a browser.
Posted 15 years ago
vintagedance says:
Any progress on this?

It looks like several people have tried to unofficially port the RTM plugin over, but they have been unsuccessful.

It would be nice if RTM could add official support for a Safari / Webkit version of RTM for Gmail (which would also then run in MailPlane).

Perhaps it could be made an RTM Pro-only feature to encourage signups.

Both RTM and MailPlane applications would benefit!

I'm currently evaluating RTM and I love the RTM integration with Gmail on my daytime Windows machine, but I love MailPlane on my nighttime Mac.
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
Has this issue been picked up recently? With the addition of Google Labs' widgets in gmail, all one would have to do is to allow mailplane to load gmail's widget in the sidebar.....
Posted 15 years ago
homesick says:
I've found Mailpalne to be great for (among other fine functions) fast switching between my gmail accounts and RTM on the right side is the _only_ thing I'm missing. It would be great though, that the RTM isn't related to any of the accounts in Gmail but to be a separat "module" within Mailplane, with it's own login or whatever. I'm using only one instance of RTM anyway.

Thanks!
Posted 15 years ago
pbrack says:
at the risk of sounding repetative.....don't suppose there has been any progress? If not could i have some pointers on how to get started at writing/contributing to such a plugin?

Posted 15 years ago
vintagedance says:
Hmm... I've been using Toodledoo for a while now, but thought I'd come back and see if RTM had made any improvements regarding start dates, adjusting the almost identical blue colors for priorities, or better integration with Mailplane.

Answer: Nope -- or who knows? No acknowledgment of any kind from RTM support in the last 6 months.

I'm also looking for drag-n-drop reordering of tasks / subtasks which Toodledoo doesn't support yet.

However at least Toodledoo Support has acknowledged that arbitrary ordering of tasks is a major feature they are working on, but that it is a complex problem that may not be solved anytime soon.

Toodledoo Support is also good about acknowledging new feature requests on their forum, even if they can't give any details about possible implementation dates.

Looks like RTM Support is still completely invisible and uncommunicative on the RTM forums.

A simple acknowledgment post in some of these forum threads that says, "Thank you for the feature request. Currently RTM Support cannot comment on plans for future features." would go a long way towards establishing more trust and communication between RTM Support and the RTM userbase.

As such, I guess I will look elsewhere for a more responsive / communicative application community.
Posted 15 years ago
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
> A simple acknowledgment post in some of these forum threads that says, "Thank you for the feature request.
> Currently RTM Support cannot comment on plans for future features." would go a long way towards establishing
> more trust and communication between RTM Support and the RTM userbase.

Hey vintagedance,

I'd recommend checking out the Ideas forum guidelines for our policies. :)

"Reply policy

Please note that while RTM staff do read all of the posts in this forum and consider all feedback as we work to improve RTM, we're sorry we're not able to respond to questions such as:

- What do you think of my idea for feature X?
- Are you planning on adding feature Y?
- When will feature Z be available?

Thanks for your understanding!"

Whether or not you agree with our policies is up to you, but I just wanted to make it clear that they do exist (RTM has more than a million users, and for a number of reasons we can't provide individual feedback to every feature request that we receive, sorry).
Posted 15 years ago
na2rboy says:
"Policy" has not much to do with the general issue. Hundreds of threads are here with ideas and everyone knows you can't respond to all (any?) of them. But I believe you could help the situation by telling the users some of the things you are working on, instead of taking time to defensively post the policy.
Posted 15 years ago
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
Hi na2rboy,

Rather than continuing to take multiple forum threads off-topic (whoops!), I've addressed your question over here.

Hope this helps.
Posted 15 years ago
twilbur says:
Hey folks, I'd love to bring this thread back on topic -- an RTM Gmail extension for Mailplane. I'll offer a 1-year Pro gift subscription as a bounty for someone completing this work... any takers?
Posted 14 years ago
twilbur says:
Ah, curses, looks like according to the investigation that was done in April '08, this'll take more than personal heroics, it'll take direct support for RTM, and they won't be enticed by my offer of a 1-year Pro subscription. :-)

Google Groups thread where Ruben, the Mailplane developer, gives up: http://tinyurl.com/lhxuwp
Posted 14 years ago