Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

iPhone app

arr says:
I was wondering if there were any plans for a native iPhone app... Sure, web apps are great and all, but they can't really do cool things like alerts and whatnot. Also, the iPhone lacks a to-do list app at all so there's nothing to sync with.

It would be a great app and something I would gladly pay for. The only native todo list apps now for the iPhone are not so good. I miss the functionality that my Palm E2 to-do list app had (although it was pretty low tech).

-Mike
Posted at 5:15pm on February 22, 2008
Launched
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
Thanks for your patience everyone! :) Our native iPhone app is now available on the App Store. Please see the announcement on the blog and RTM for iPhone and iPod touch mini-site for more details.

We've also created a new forum specifically for the app -- as this forum topic is getting a little long, I'm going to close this topic and ask folks to please continue any iPhone conversations over on the new forum.

Thanks! :)
Posted 15 years ago
krypticide says:
Native apps would be great, in order to improve speed and interface.
Posted 16 years ago
kforeman says:
I agree, the lack of a good native todo app on the iPhone is what led me to RTM in the first place. The mobile safari version of RTM is great, but making it native would be even better.
Posted 16 years ago
criminal109 says:
I find the web applications useful, but a bit cumbersome and slow to use on the iPhone. A native, lickity-fast RTM application on the iPhone with sync capability to the web would be huge! I prefer to send emails to RTM to record a new task rather than suffer through the web interface.

(That said, I am thankful for the web interface to get access to all my tasks remotely when I really need to)
Posted 16 years ago
sagodinez says:
I just read yesterday that Google is making Google Gears available for some mobile phone platforms (Windows Mobile being one of them). Hopefully when Apple releases the SDK, Google will add functionality of Google Gears to the iPhone. I think this would allow RTM to function on the iPhone along with a host of different native iPhone apps.
Posted 16 years ago
erifneerg says:
yea, it's great that they finally gave a date/etc but we not dev peeps won't see anything till June.
Posted 16 years ago
wojo says:
With the release of the SDK now, you guys have a few months to get together an amazing RTM app :)

Now I'm off to download the iPhone SDK after the Apple servers had a chance to cool off a little (couldn't get on for hours after the announcement!).
Posted 15 years ago
dmd1272 says:
yes a native Rtm applicaiton for the iPhone/iTouch would be stellar
Posted 15 years ago
erifneerg says:
clearly, it needs to be an offline app. Well, at least i would like it to be offline for the ipod touch. Then my choice of 'pda' would be clear. i've been a fan of the HTC Touch but waiting for it to come out for verizion. If/once the app is release and is usible offline then my will be choice clear.
Posted 15 years ago
edden52 says:
Agreed. A native app would be just the ticket. With full capabilities like the web version. But with a user friendly interface - date selection, repeatable events, etc. via graphical selection with minimal character input. Perhaps auto sync back to RTM every few hours along with a manual option. You've got the web utility and a customer base so you're a step ahead of the competition. The OSX ToDo program, which many developers may be forced to sync with, lacks much of what RTM offers - another advantage. I want (need) a native ToDo app and will gravitate toward whatever usable app appears that fits my needs; so much the better if RTM offers it up first.
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
+1 bump

I need offline capabilities on the iPhone. EDGE is ssslllooooww and connectivity is not always available. It needs to be native and not some kind of Google Gears for Mobile (only available for Windows mobile at the moment anyway) solution as otherwise you guys will get killed by dozens of native, pretty GTD apps that *will* come out for iPhone in June.
Posted 15 years ago
erifneerg says:
jamieraut is right about out apps coming out from iphone dev land. Omni Group did say that they working on take there apps to the iphone/ipod touch
Posted 15 years ago
asifm42 says:
I agree.

Native iPhone apps for the following would make the iphone so much better.

RTM
gmail - ability to search and label
gcalendar - ability to see your other calendars
ability to sync notes

Sorry to sort of change the subject. RTM on the edge hurts and 3g is not going to be as a fast as a native app that automatically syncs on user controlled timer. so +1 for native RTM app.
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:

I just want to add my name to the list of interested parties wanting the RTM app to be native and "lickity-fast" as stated above. That would rule!

I find the iPhone-like site (i.rtm.com) to be too slow over edge, and end up using the m.rtm.com site instead.

Anyway - keep up the good work!
Posted 15 years ago
ian.betteridge says:
I'll add my vote to a native iPhone app too. Obviously, thanks to the "no background processes" rule it won't be able to sync in the background - but syncing when you launch/quit it should be more than enough. Basically something that replicates the features of the current (excellent) iPHone web interface, but which is available when I'm on the subway :)
Posted 15 years ago
kevin.bouck says:
add another vote for native iphone (online/offline) interface. A google gears capable web interface would also be meet the online/offline requirement, but wouldn't be as slick as a native interface.

I'm also interested to see what Omni Group does with OmniFocus for iPhone (assuming they will do it).

Posted 15 years ago
antoine.girard says:
+1 vote also for an offline version of the iphone/ipod version ... that would soooo convenient.
Posted 15 years ago
maique says:
you can also count me in for this offline app. it would be great, now that it seems like it's available everywhere else i need it...
Posted 15 years ago
omar.gurnah says:
I'm a new user of RTM and signed up purely because I hope there will be a native app in June.
Posted 15 years ago
cchez says:
I'm a big fan or RTM... so simple and sooo flexible!... and i was just about to upgrade to PRO to be able to access with my iphone, but the actual version doesnt meets my requirement of offline browsing as a native app would do... my main problem would be those times when i dont have signal (i live abroad and travel a bit often) and therefore not being able to access my tasks and do a little organizing. So here's one more vote for a native app.
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
I am starting out with RTM and would love this feature. I would definately pay for the software the day a native app is released.
Posted 15 years ago
robertbasil says:
I'll add my vote to the list. :)
Posted 15 years ago
rubikskube says:
Yes please, this would be fantastic.
Posted 15 years ago
pmarie says:
I agree and would even pay for it :)
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
As a Windows Mobile and iPhone user, I have found myself grumbling over the lack of one particular application. Milksync.

However RTM goes about the transmission of data via, native app or MilkSync or whatever, I would greatly appreciate it. Your web service is second to none... now, let's get it working seamlessly on the mobile device that is second to none. : )
Posted 15 years ago
jason.lemieux says:
Yup. Sign me up. Either gears-based web app or even better a native app.
Posted 15 years ago
johnlauck says:
I think RTM needs a native iPhone app and a native desktop app. Take a look at evernote.com. They haven't released a native iPhone app, but I'm sure they could and that's the functionality I would love in RTM.

As an example. I could run the RTM app on my desktop (possibly with iCal integration) sync it to the cloud. Then I can open the app on my iPhone and see the changes. Then go to iGoogle and see it there. And for quick entires I can still use the Quicksilver plugin.

I need better reminders and the more platforms the better I can stay on track. Using the web app just never works if I want to add a task quickly.
Posted 15 years ago
eric.belt says:
I have been using other online todo apps that work with the iPhone and switched to RTM because of it's integration with GMail. I tried the iPhone interface trial and it was good but like others have said, a bit slow. I've been holding off on getting a Pro account to see if some good native todo apps will be available. But I would definitely get a RTM Pro account if it included a native iPhone app! I would like to know if this is being considered or currently being worked on.
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
I put off buying an iPhone because they don't have a todo list. I love RTM. A native app would be awesome. I would definitely pay for it.
Posted 15 years ago
shawn.beatty says:
Any official word on this from the RTM team? An iphone native app would be especially great for us iPod touch users. I love RTM but can't get to it at all if I'm outside wi-fi... With today's big announcement from apple I was hoping to hear something official if this will ne available for the launch of the application store. (July 11) Keep up the great work!
Posted 15 years ago
dmd1272 says:
Yeah, especially when I read that developers have had the iPhone SDK for a few months already.
Posted 15 years ago
dougireton says:
Location-based (GPS) reminders please.
Posted 15 years ago
vladimir.cezar says:
"I would definitely get a RTM Pro account if it included a native iPhone app!" x2
Posted 15 years ago
surajchoksi says:
I can't wait to use the iphone native app.
Posted 15 years ago
ddosen says:
I agree - I'd like this natve on the iPhone. I'll try this and OmniFocus for free and see if either company makes an announcement.
Posted 15 years ago
elemenoh says:
here here! A native app would be great. Congrats on winning the award last night!

Omni focus has a very interesting native app...
Posted 15 years ago
adame says:
iPhone + GPS + background push notification service from Apple for third party developers + RTM = amazing!
Posted 15 years ago
sobko says:
iPhone++

Posted 15 years ago
stormlifter says:
I really think that a Native App for iPhone would be great.
Posted 15 years ago
rovingdan says:
I agree - Omifocus looks like the killer app at the present but unless the provide an online sync solution to MobileMe or something else I think an RTM native Iphone app would be a really killer. Don't forget there are many Windows users (forced often because of work) who can't use pure Mac offerings.
Posted 15 years ago
whiteheadj says:
I would definitely be interested in this.

It would be amazing.
Posted 15 years ago
stephen.minton says:
one more vote for an iPhone native app. I'm sure that you guys see this as a top priority now that the iPhone is poised to become such an important new computing platform (around the world). Having 'access anywhere' via the web is great, but native apps are important because nobody is online all the time (planes, trains and automobiles); even in online places, networks can go down for varying lengths of time.
Posted 15 years ago
avernet says:
Yes, yes, I would love a native application!
Guys, keep up the great work; we love RTM!

Alex
Posted 15 years ago
timkalee says:
One more for the native app, although knowing myself, I'm a very forgetful syncer. Push updates please!!
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
+1 Native RTM with push tasks would be awesome.
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
So, I count about 40+ people who would love an iPhone Native app but I don't see any response from RTM

Has anyone heard anything? Are the guys working on it?
Posted 15 years ago
elemenoh says:
Push is a must.

I really think a native iPhone app is the missing link here. I love GTD w/ RTM but I can't work RTM it into my daily life at this point. It's just too impractical. I need to be able to add a task the moment I think of it. No matter where I am. Inspiration strikes at random moments... rarely when I am sitting at a computer & logged into RTM. I can write it down on paper but I usually end up loosing it or being too lazy to enter all of my scribbles into RTM at the end of the day.
Posted 15 years ago
kymble says:
Hi guys,

I'll just add mine to the list for an iPhone native-app.

It is soooo frustrating when u can't use RTM properly with no internet!
I hesitate to fully commit to it BECAUSE often I'm travelling and go in and out of coverage....

I'm sure u could build it easy, 'case ur obviously clever... ;-)

Also, it would be SUPERCOOL if u could use the iPhone's new GPS to automatically find out the location and serve u up things to do based on that. How slick'd that be?
You're probably already on it.

Look forward to a funky app soon,

K
Posted 15 years ago
chrisbx says:
I agree and look forward to a great native RTM app for iPhone and iPod Touch. It would be perfect !
The single problem with the web app is indeed when we cannot connect to the web or when the connection is very slow. For instance, I was doing shopping yesterday but I could not connect to the web in the supermarket. So I could not consult my errand list on my iPhone !
So, with a native app, it would be very useful that this app could keep the tasks from the last sync and send the modifications at the next sync (modifications made when the iPhone was off-line).
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
Just want to add my vote for an offline/native RTM for iPhone. I LOVE RTM, and brag it up to anyone I think might be interested in listening :) There are six people in my little office who own iPhones, and all of them whine about the lack of a good integrated to-do app. I keep telling them when the apps store opens this month, RTM will be there waiting.... (fingers crossed)

Thanks for the great service.
Posted 15 years ago
mikejrtaylor says:
I'm also declaring for this service. Make it happen, RTM!
Posted 15 years ago
chrisbx says:
Do you know if the RTM team has the project to develop a native app for iPhone ? no answer from them about that ? again it would be great. Otherwise we could imagine that another company develops a native app which could sync with RTM, no ?... what does the RTM team think about this possibility ?
Posted 15 years ago
Well, Bob seems to be frantically coding something here... ;)

Thanks for the feedback everyone! We love the iPhone too.
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
Please make it happen. We need a native iPhone RTM app !!! :-)
Posted 15 years ago
desenso says:
I'm kind of disappointed his wasn't planned in advance!

But yeah, we definitely need a native app.
Posted 15 years ago
desenso, Bob has been frantically coding on this something for many months... :)
Posted 15 years ago
philbolli says:
the app store launched today.... without rtm. at least i didn't find you guys. I hope you wanted to include the new tricks bob learned at the wwdc. thumbs up for the rtm iphone native app with over the air sync !
Posted 15 years ago
eric.belt says:
I was crossing my fingers with hope to find the RTM app while browsing the in the App Store. No luck. :(
Posted 15 years ago
judsond says:
I can wait a while, as long as I know "something" is coming, haha. Yay rtm! :D
Posted 15 years ago
Maybe we haven't been feeding Bob enough bananas? I knew we should have made him code faster...

Anyway, if there's something to share, you can be sure we'll share it. :)
Posted 15 years ago
andrea.giuliodori says:
Ok Emily.. I'll wait.. don't stress Bob too much.. I think we can wait some week.. and I'm sure it will be astonishing!

Ps. Integration with Gmap!!!!!!!! ;-)
Posted 15 years ago
chrisbx says:
Emily, where can I send bananas for Bob ? ;-)
Posted 15 years ago
fwenzel says:
Oh yeah, I'd totally use an RTM app on my iPod if it was able to run offline! Yay!
Posted 15 years ago
alberto.bietti says:
While looking for an RTM app on the AppStore on iTunes, I found the Todo app (one word, or you'll find a different app), which synchronizes with RTM, and it looks pretty good, but:
- it isn't free (10$)
- it doesn't seem to support locations, maps or anything similar
- it's not made by RTM ;-)
- I don't think the app notifies you directly on the phone for tasks, but that's apple's fault, since they don't even let apps run in the background (therefore no notifications)... I know they plan to add some notification servers sometime soon, but that would need an internet connection, and the main point is to have an offline app (and only synchronize when you're online), so... thanks Apple... :-(

I don't have an iPhone yet, but I plan to get one sometime soon now, and I will rather wait for Bob to eat many bananas and finish his coding on that something ;-)
Posted 15 years ago
ranbarton Power Poster says:
Alberto - could you please elaborate on how Todo syncs with RTM? On a task level, a list level, a smart list level? What metadata fields does it support, and could you please provide a URL to its developer? I don't mean to sound dubious - I am in fact excited to learn more.
Posted 15 years ago
lesliefisher says:
Can we clone bob? I would love to be able to work on to do lists on planes, etc.

And thank you ahead of time for working on whatever the heck you are working on.
Posted 15 years ago
cbj1329 says:
I just wanted to add my vote for RTM native on the iPhone. I currently access RTM via the mobile interface from a Palm Treo several times a week (I primarily use RTM through a browser). I will be purchasing an Iphone in the next few days.

Thanks!
Posted 15 years ago
russ.goerend says:
i would totally pay for an RTM native app for the iphone. something that syncs all across RTM but is available without having to load a web app.
Posted 15 years ago
gregoire.banag says:
Hello,

We expect all the native application that will allow us to use RTM every 5 seconds. Access with a 2G connection to the application is quite frustrating, because this is the weak point of RTM, speed boot on the Iphone.
So we wait, and if you want Beta testers, made me sign!
Posted 15 years ago
alberto.bietti says:
ranbarton - Yes you can find information and screencasts about the app on the app website here.
Posted 15 years ago
Thank you, Alberto. I am grateful for the link.
Posted 15 years ago
Wow. I encourage anyone interested in a native RTM ipHone app to watch this screen cast: http://www.appigo.com/screencasts/RTMConnect.mov

At first glance, it seems very much like MilkSync for Blackberry, i.e., the tasks come over but no list information.

I posted a question in the program's google groups board about how it handles lists and smart lists, and look forward to learning more.

Emily/Bob - Here you have a programmer using your API to beat you to the market. I am both impressed at your openness and worried about the competition. I think this effort compels you all to deliver a solution that includes the list constructs on the iPhone/iPod, or to duplicate his effort for less than his asking price, or to partner with him in some way, I suppose. I will watch to see the results of Bob's labors most eagerly. More bananas!
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
I saw the Appigo app too while looking at the existing To Do apps in the App Store. I couldn't believe my luck in finding one that sync's with RTM.

I purchased it immediately!

Posted 15 years ago
sky says:
Thanks ranbarton, just bought a copy of Appigo's ToDo. Awesome.
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
I just bought Todo, and at least for a GTD type setup that uses smart lists, it is entirely useless.

Appigo's Todo will not sync any smart list whatsoever. It can only do static lists. As a result after syncing I get a single list with 200 items. It is impossible to find anything and I'll likely delete the app.

+1 for a native RTM app please!
Posted 15 years ago
chrisbx says:
gappenz, I must understand that, if you use smart lists, even your static lists are not synchronized and you obtain a single list with all your items ???...
Posted 15 years ago
kateoneill says:
Definitely interested in a native iPhone app. Would certainly pay a few bucks extra, but would also appreciate its being included in a Pro membership. Either way makes sense for me.

And it can't happen fast enough. :)

Let us know where we can send bananas for Bob to help him out. ;)
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
@chrisbx

The application sync's all your lists EXCEPT smartlists. So on the application, you'll see your static, manually created lists separated, etc., and you can assign new tasks to those lists just fine.

I think that's what your asking...

For me, when mobile, I only care about things due "Today" so I'm less affected by the smartlists.

I was really, really looking for something that would allow me to use RTM on my phone that was faster than the web, and this saves me from having to learn a new system like Things or OmniFocus (aka, the most expensive task app on earth).

If RTM wants to come out with their own app, great. In the mean time, I think the Appigo app is more than what I was expecting and works (so far) flawlessly.

To each his own I guess. I was hoping to just clear up as much as possible with this post.
Posted 15 years ago
criminal109 says:
Emily,

Terrific news!!!! Can't wait -- I'm very excited!

Thanks for the tip of the hat.

Best.
Posted 15 years ago
lotharsmash says:
This is probably one of the few apps I will purchase on the App store :)
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
@chrisbox, @chriswitt

chriswitt is correct. Static lists get sync'd, but smart are simply ignored as if they did not exist. If you have mainly static lists, this probably works fairly well for you. But I have not found out yet how to get a decent GTD type setup with RTM that use mostly static lists.

If anyone has a good GTD style setup with RTM that works with ToDo, I'd love to hear about it. In the meantime I am back to the web interface.
Posted 15 years ago
bdwelle says:
I was going to +1 for a native RTM app, but wow, Appigo seems to do the job just fine. Sweet!
Posted 15 years ago
coliv77 says:
I also vow to buy a RTM iphone app. I already have Omnifocus but I'm hesitant to migrate as I've been a long time user of rtmilk.

Go Bob!
Posted 15 years ago
spasticon says:
Yay Bob!
Posted 15 years ago
kutyshalev says:
+1 for native iphone app
Posted 15 years ago
allanphoto says:
1 more for native iPhone app please. if you are working on it could you add a note to the blog. thanks
Posted 15 years ago
chrisbx says:
@ gappenz and chriswitt
Thank you for your answers. Thus ToDo is usable with RTM even if you have smart lists BUT you cannot sync these smart lists which are ignored. About these smart lists, appigo support has written that "We are looking into the possibility of supporting them and will keep you all up-to-date about the progress." (http://groups.google.com/group/appigo-todo/browse_thread/thread/f0ec596109eb48f4)
Posted 15 years ago
chrisbx says:
Another question : are the shared lists supported by ToDo ?
Posted 15 years ago
chrisbx says:
It seems that there are other important problems between ToDo and RTM : http://groups.google.com/group/appigo-todo/browse_thread/thread/9838d58a06154583
Posted 15 years ago
jamesmcoats says:
Add me to the list: i'd very happily purchase it.
Posted 15 years ago
jfriend says:
I'd love a native iPhone app. That would cause me to renew my pro subscription when it lapses or I'd pay a moderate additional fee for the app (which I think is the only way to make it happen given the app store.
Posted 15 years ago
xxdesmus says:
+1 for a native RTM iPhone/iPod Touch app as well. That would be incredible. I'd definitely renew my pro subscription as well.
Posted 15 years ago
jcromwell says:
I would DEFINITELY purchase a native RTM app for iPhone!
Posted 15 years ago
andrewcilento says:
I've been waiting to see if RTM has been working on a native iPhone app for some time now, and as soon as I find out one way or the other, I'll be purchasing a Pro subscription.
Posted 15 years ago
rex.pechler says:
Wow... that's a lot of interested people. +1
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
+1. I'll go pro for this.
Posted 15 years ago
zeb says:
Add me to the hungry RTMers list for a native iPhone app. Has there been an official position on this from RTM?
Posted 15 years ago
adam.buckeridge says:
Also adding my interest, RTM is the best solution I have found so far, but edge access is to slow for real use here in Ireland.

Would love to see a iPhone app , I know Bob is working on something :-) Will be patient , but available as a beta tester
Posted 15 years ago
njustn says:
Many apparently want this, and I'm sure the number will grow rapidly, given that apple has already sold 1,000,000 3Gs since friday.

We all bow to the will of the mighty bob, and hope he will grace us with his iPhone compatibility soon. =)
Posted 15 years ago
jeff.velasquez says:
Would love to hear how Bob is doing on his iPhone project!
Posted 15 years ago
rafasoares says:
+1
It would be great!
Posted 15 years ago
arthur.kalm says:
I think Bob should take as long as he needs to make a high quality and stable iPhone app. I hope the app will also work with the iPod Touch!

I'd definitely get a pro subscription for it! And, again, please don't couple it to the iPhone :P
Posted 15 years ago
plhosk says:
I am also interested in a native RTM app!

I'm also hoping for a gmail/gcalendar app.
Posted 15 years ago
neil.gabbadon says:
+1 for a native iPhone app. Glad to hear that it's in progress...will def upgrade to Pro if that's what it takes to get it.
Posted 15 years ago
mastermaq says:
+1 for native iphone/ipod touch app!
Posted 15 years ago
plhosk says:
I just upgraded to Pro in order to support development of the native app!
Posted 15 years ago
subvert says:
+1, paid for pro before trial was up in the hopes that the money will pay for more bananas to speed the coding of the application that may or may not be a native iphone app.
Posted 15 years ago
arr says:
Likewise.
Posted 15 years ago
yoruneko says:
I use the Web app, it's kinda okay but like others said it's kinda slowish.
Would gladly part with some euros for a native RTM, that would be flippin' sweet...
Native app FTW!!
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
Here's to hoping for a native RTM application! More bananas!
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
The program "Todo" has a RTM sync function.

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=282778557&mt=8

Posted 15 years ago
jason.lemieux says:
Whoa so it does. I just tried it out and it's pretty nice. I'd still reallllly like to see Bob whoop something up but this certainly works in the meantime.

Quick review:
Set up is dead simple
Initial sync took a couple of minutes (i have 1000+ completed tasks)
The data model fits nicely with RTM (tasks, lists, priorities, etc)
Adding tasks is pretty easy
So far pushing changes back up is taking quite a while... not sure if it's my connection, the server, or that maybe it's pushing/pulling all 1000+ with each sync?

Either way, totally solid app that works great.
Posted 15 years ago
tswartz says:
One more support for a native RTM application for the iPhone! I'm holding out a month before I buy Todo or something like it instead - I'd love to support RTM instead of someone else.
Posted 15 years ago
jason.lemieux says:
Ok update (see 2 posts above):

The subsequent syncing works really well and is pretty zippy (5 or so seconds on my crappy vermont backwoods cowpower dsl).

So, until RTM comes up with an even better integrated homegrown app I've got to say that Todo is dang nice.
Posted 15 years ago
rednow says:
From one Bob to the next...
I'll throw a bundle of bananas into the mix... just tell me where to ship.
Bob
Posted 15 years ago
stephen.higgins says:
I would give my third unborn child for a native iPhone app!!!
Posted 15 years ago
I think the quickest and easiest way to get bananas to Bob is to sign up for Pro, here:

http://www.rememberthemilk.com/account/order/
Posted 15 years ago
andrey.vw says:
Maybe if you setup an offer where if anyone that signs up for a pro account will have access (either free or discounted) to the native app when it comes out.

This way, you can have more money initially and thank the supporters.

How does that sound?
Posted 15 years ago
ifbydesign says:
+1 for native iphone app!

looking forward to seeing what Bob comes up with...
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
Has anyone from RTM actually said something is in development?

I am a pro user and would prefer not to have to buy a 3rd party application for the iPhone to sync with my RTM account
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
@daj_uk, above emily (Remember The Milk) says: "desenso, Bob has been frantically coding on this something for many months... :)" Posted at 1:08pm on July 10, 2008

Certainly not a 100% sure thing, but definitely seems to be an indication of what we should expect.
Posted 15 years ago
arr says:
I'd much rather pay $10 for a native app from RTM that supports all or most of RTMs features than $10 for a third party app that only works so-so with RTM.
Posted 15 years ago
chandler.vdw says:
emily, any word on that native app? can you guys post screenshots or something? we're all dying to see!!!
Posted 15 years ago
asifm42 says:
+1. Would love to see a native app soon. I'm sure that the RTM staff will bust out one that will rock. The web app is awesome on a WiFi connection but the Edge is toooooo sllloooowwww.
Posted 15 years ago
jaewon223 says:
yes to a native app. I am willing to pay for a native app because I have an iTouch and unlike an iPhone I do not necessarily have constant access to internet. I am also willing to pay if the app lives up to RTM standards (which i'm sure it will)

also, please hurry i cannot rely on those other crappy todo's available now.
Posted 15 years ago
fuzzy76 says:
I'm actually upgrading to pro now just in the hope that a native app is around the corner. The dataplan for iPhone here in norway is pretty lousy, so I hope it comes with an offline mode. :)
Posted 15 years ago
chrisbx says:
Emily, without disturbing Bob in his work, could you give information to us about the native app ? when can we expect it ? in two days, two weeks, two months,... ;-)
Posted 15 years ago
tjndds says:
We'll probably see it when the last two lines of code are written...:-)
Posted 15 years ago
shihchiun says:
An offline app would be excellent. Like others, I'm an iPod touch user, so I don't have internet access everywhere I go.

Heck, if there was an offline app, I'd pay for the app AND the pro account.
Posted 15 years ago
scott.elias says:
Since we have no indication when an RTM iPhone app may be released, I went ahead and coughed up the $10 for Appigo Todo. It's pretty nice. Fairly snappy and intuitive. The only issue for me is lack of support for Smart Lists which are pretty much all I use. But I suppose it'll do for now!

Maybe purchasing that app will guarantee RTM's will come out soon..
Posted 15 years ago
bluefishtshirts says:
Any word from RTM on if this is in development??
Posted 15 years ago
david.olive says:
Adding my name to the list that a native app would rule.
Posted 15 years ago
pajd100 says:
Add one more to the list of people interested
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
So great that I am not the only one who's looking for a native RTM app. I also have Apigo's To Do for the reasons elaborated on this thread before however I want a native native app. So Bob, we'll wait for you ... as you know we were to send you all bananas on God's great world if that was to help accelerate shipping your new something. Yours, immi from Germany.
Posted 15 years ago
rich.taylor says:
Currently evaluating RTM, loving it so far. I have to say I'd sign up for a pro account in a heartbeat given a native iPhone app. Go Bob!
Posted 15 years ago
vincent.ocampo says:
Like others I have an iPodTouch. We don't always have acccess to the internet, otherwise I would have purchased a PRO account by now. I have to agree with tswartz. I will gladly pay up for a native app, I will by ToDo soon, but I would rather support RTM. It is THE best. (I've tried, and deleted, dozens of other apps and they are weak compared to RTM.)
Posted 15 years ago
jholdaway says:
i need a todo list, and it looks like to get a good one i will end up paying, if i knew there was an app on the way i will hold off.. otherwise (and im sure im not the only one) the omni program will likely get my $$ and once people are forced to pay they dont switch often.
Posted 15 years ago
andrew.ong says:
For all you ipod/iphone owners, there is an application called Zenbe lists which I'm sure you've heard of by now. It includes sync funtionality and the ability to make lists on the mobile device at the least. A native RTM application would be nice though.
Posted 15 years ago
sjb says:
Another vote for the native RTM iPhone App. I too am using Apogee's ToDo and actually a pretty nifty little app. As everyone has pointed out a very nice interface and frankly once you use a native app..there's no going back to a web-app...gosh in RTM....just to wait each screen to redraw is painful in edge....better to use the iPhone for quick on the fly checking your list adding tasks to the inbox and my favorite entry method...Jott.

While the jott iPhone app is not as good as ReQall, the phone application in jott is better than ReQall. You just call the toll free number, Jott says, who you wannna call and you say, "remember the milk" and then you blab on. Then a couple of minutes later you select the refresh button on the bottom left of ToDo and there is your transcripted blab as a task in your inbox.

You can quickly process to the desired RTM list, assign a due date, assign a priority level and add some notes in mere seconds.

What is missing are 1) tags, 2) location, 3) Repeat patterns but other than that very nice app.

One unique feature which is not in RTM but is really sweet is that you assign a task "type" and can set it as "normal" default, to call a contact, email a contact or visit a website and with each of these options other than "normal" you get a popup screen to specify a contact or web page...too cool.
Posted 15 years ago
sjb says:
Forgot to mention the other "holy grail" for my preferred way of working would be to have RTM or another system better integrate with my calendar in iCal which is also synced to the iPhone via MobileME.

Why...as many of us know...when you check your massive to do list, eventually you decide on doing one or more tasks on a specific day and perhaps even a time. For me translating tasks to a time commitment on a calendar is what better prepares me to do the task. In iCal this is pretty easy..you can actually drag todo's onto the calendar.

Also fascinating that Apple does give you access to your iCal tasks in Mobile me on the web...so you can see the same tasks online and on your mac at home but...why not the iPhone...bizzare considering Mobile Me syncs contacts, calendar and mail, and documents and bookmarks.

As of now...only Omnifocus plays nicely with iCal but that is an awfully steep price to pay for admission....$80 for the desktop app and $20 for the iPHone app....

Anyway, I'm going to try to sit tight and watch this space for a month or so and see how things and Omnifocus and RTM and a host of other task management software battle it out in the new application store space....
Posted 15 years ago
adam.buckeridge says:
Any update on the iPhone app? don't want to give me money to a different company if you guys are coming out with a solution.
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
I too am anxiously waiting for a native iPhone RTM app. Just throwing another log on the fire. :)
Posted 15 years ago
brent.mcleod says:
+1
Posted 15 years ago
johnbruce says:
+1
Posted 15 years ago
sahild says:
+18 (my friends agree)
Posted 15 years ago
rovingdan says:
I also use Appigo because it the only option.

I think the smart lists, tags and location would be great.

The Omnifocus killer is RTM native app + location awareness (as implemented by omni focus)

Posted 15 years ago
jacksondn says:
+1
Posted 15 years ago
seagers says:
+1
Posted 15 years ago
chrisbx, I did ask Bob when he might be done, but he's a secretive little fellow, and wouldn't let anything slip. :(

He did say to let you all know that he really appreciates the bananas you've been sending his way (in fact, I think he's starting to look a bit chubby!).

As for a release date, I think tjndds may be onto something... when the last two lines of code are written sounds about right. :) We're doing everything we can to hurry Bob along though.
Posted 15 years ago
jdcoffman says:
Thanks for the update Emily, much appreciated. I do wish I had an idea of weeks vs months on this. If it's months I need to switch to another solution now, because I do indeed need an RTM native iPhone app for RTM to work in my use-case.

Very excited though!
Posted 15 years ago
chadstur says:
can't wait!
Posted 15 years ago
chrisbx says:
Thanks Emily !

Same as jdcoffman...
Posted 15 years ago
chandler.vdw says:
wooohooo. Anyway we can sign up for an email update as soon as it's ready?
Posted 15 years ago
dshim says:
+1

Could it be that the RTM team is waiting for iPhone's push notification services to go live before they release a native client? I'd be happy enough with a fetch-type syncing but push-based syncing would rock!
Posted 15 years ago
cadillaczak says:
I am a pro user and would also like this native app to be available. AND, re-designed. The pro online app is NOT intuitive at all. A pain to use. Can't believe I paid to use it, but it works.

Zak
Posted 15 years ago
jacksondn says:
Thanks emily for the update - my fiancee and I are both looking forward to the native app.
Posted 15 years ago
gregoire.banag says:
thank you for the update, i'm really Wait for this native app
Posted 15 years ago
dbo says:
+1
Posted 15 years ago
coliv77 says:
ToDo app works fine and synchs very well. However, lacking Tags and Tag filtering makes it almost useless to me.
It will do for now because it's much better than the Safari based RTM.
I'm strongly considering OmniFocus, which I also use for more complex tasks but it doesn't have a web version.
Please RTM, give us the native app! I'll pay for it!
Posted 15 years ago
kutyshalev says:
Here is a critical issue I want to bring up.

Let's assume this native iphone application exists for RTM.

The question I have is how exactly will it sync with the web ? As a native app, I am not looking for a long delay until I am able to flick a todo as "done" but I also want to make sure I am looking at my "latest" list, even if I had updated it just a few minutes ago on my computer.

I am hoping that RTM will implement a local DB on the iphone and while each time I enter the application, I understand that an internet connection will be created to sync the local DB to the server - don't make me wait. Show me all the tasks in the local DB and allow me to complete one right there.

And then, once the new tasks/info have downloaded from the web, update the local db.

Possible? Or will we have a few second (lets call it 5-10 seconds) delay between selecting the app and actually being able to use it...

Thanks!
Posted 15 years ago
kodeks says:
+1 vote

I do want a native iPhone app !
Need an alert function and quick response.
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
I signed up for an RTM pro account after stumbling across Appigo's ToDo app in the iTunes store. Works fine for now, but I do wish there was a version that supported smartlists. I'd happily pay for a native RTM To Do app. Fingers crossed!
Posted 15 years ago
sandrus says:
+1

I am sure, this would be the best ToDo app for the iphone.

Posted 15 years ago
twilbur says:
Another vote for a native iPhone app. I'd pay $10.
Posted 15 years ago
asifm42 says:
+1 again. :)
Posted 15 years ago
mrclark411 says:
+1
Posted 15 years ago
nouman6 says:
can't wait!
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
i have not paid for a single iphone native app to this point

but rmilk has become an important tool in my life

i would love to see a well designed iphone native app

this poor college student will even pay a reasonable amount for it

so please release it soon!

thanks
Posted 15 years ago
esantos says:
Same here!
Posted 15 years ago
hiddennook says:
I think RTM should release a native iPhone App that is free for Pro users and costs $32.50 for everyone else ($25 for RTM, the rest is Apple Tax).

What does everyone else say?
Posted 15 years ago
hhommersom says:
Great idea, would be a nice reason to renew my 'Pro' account
Posted 15 years ago
bchute says:
I'm in.
Posted 15 years ago
paulajean says:
Add me to the list...need the native app in order for this to really really work.
Posted 15 years ago
chrisbx says:
I try again : Emily, any good news for us ? when ? ;-)
Posted 15 years ago
fennell.tom says:
+1 on the app, and +1 on the reminders function request. Would save me some SMS.
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
1+ on the app
Posted 15 years ago
icowboy says:
not a pro...yet...just waiting for a native app :)
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
I was thinking, will Pro members get the native app for free? If not, then there doesn't seem like much point in signing up at the moment.
Also, access to the current web app is $25 which seems pretty expensive when compared to a few of the 'ToDo' apps that are available now.
What does everyone else think?
Posted 15 years ago
jkrell says:
I gladly paid $25 for the pro account because (a) I love RTM and (b) I like to support companies I believe in. While I hope/expect the native iPhone app to be free to pro users, I would probably still buy it even if it cost extra. Since signing up for RTM less than a month ago, I have come to rely on it as my main GTD motivator. It is unbelievable how more productive I have become.

Initially, I think it should be pretty barebones, but the possibilities are endless here -- integration with Google Maps, calendaring, etc. This could be one of the top iPhone apps of all time.
Posted 15 years ago
krypticide says:
I'm hoping the native app will have full features like list creation or task deletion.
Posted 15 years ago
dmccall says:
Add me to the list of people willing to buy a native iPhone app that syncs to my web account of RTM.
Posted 15 years ago
richstyles says:
I ended up buying ToDo by appigo. It's a really great app but doesn't quite support recurring tasks etc.

Can't wait for an official client. Will probably use both when that comes around. Now all I really need is a desktop client for OSX.
Posted 15 years ago
gary.brookshaw says:
I bought Appigo too - if you don't use smart lists or recurring tasks (and I don't yet) then it's perfect.

I hope the official RTM app is as nice as this app. The layout and usability is perfect.
Posted 15 years ago
bigmick says:
+1
Posted 15 years ago
gary.brookshaw says:
Spooky - I mention recurring tasks and then Appigo release an update that supports them...
Posted 15 years ago
anmlcrckrs says:
Appigo's Todo is the best I've found. Especially now that they have the update with recurring tasks. WELL worth the $9.99.

Does anyone know if they are planning on making an app? With Appigo's ToDo I don't see a huge amount of room for improvement with an RTM native app. I mean they are working to have everything that RTM has already and they have a huge headstart.
Posted 15 years ago
xus says:
Come on RTM, we know the app vetting process is arcane and takes forever but some news would be greatly appreciated. I'd be happy to upgrade to a pro account and pay for the app if need be but please could you let us know about how its going? I'm going to hold off buying another app until I really need one in September but RTM would be my favourite one to use.
Posted 15 years ago
kdetwieler says:
I might consider gettting a pro account if they had a native iphone app too. It would be very useful to me. I almost feel punished for being an iphone user since I can access the mobile version just as easily without paying an extra cost. C'mon RTM you know you want to create a native app and wow us!
Posted 15 years ago
russ.ponder says:
Not sure the lingo of "native app" so i might be asking the same question.
will it ever be possible to use RTM offline on my Ipod touch then sync when I have internet service?
Posted 15 years ago
jkrell says:
Dudes, Emily just said less than two weeks ago that it is coming along, so we all just need to chill. I am fine using the clunky web app until the native app is released. I am sure it'll kick butt when it comes out.

As for another app stealing its thunder, there were plenty of todo apps and sites available before RTM, yet there is a reason RTM is the best. I am sure the reason the native app is taking a little while is they want to do it right, rather than rush it out.

That said, I'd prefer to have it before they go all-out and implement calendar and map integration.
Posted 15 years ago
andrea.giuliodori says:
Another reply... just to make the thread hot.. ;-))))
Posted 15 years ago
pikamookie says:
+1 for an iphone app! As for the paid/unpaid, I'd hope since I'm already pro I would get it for free...seems a little steep otherwise.
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
+1!!! I'm ready to pay for the RTM native app.
Posted 15 years ago
vanilla8 says:
+1 for a native iPhone app. After playing around with RTM for a little while I've just adopted the the GTD methodology using RTM and upgraded to Pro. Although the web app is okay I'd love a nicely laid out, seamlessly synced (ideally using mobileme), fully featured native iPhone app, linked to iCal and Google Maps. I'd happily pay for that, in fact I WANT to pay for that, I have my credit card ready and waiting, bring it on...ps: If we could have a native desktop version as well to complement the website service that would be perfect. Keep the web app free and charge for the desktop and iPhone app.
Posted 15 years ago
ian.moore says:
I just paid for the web app in hopes of feeding Bob more bananas so we can see a native, offline app. I imagine it would be free, since you have to pay for the service, but I'd pay some more money to have the app native and offline so I can manage my tasks even when in airplane mode.

I'd also rather wait until Bob has time to test it than rush it out the door. Nothing quite like waiting for an app only to have its release be somewhat bumpier than it should be (*ahem* SplashID)
Posted 15 years ago
robbohuddo says:
+1 here too, I've bought things but would raher use rtm if there was a native app.
Posted 15 years ago
rbrtio says:
I decided to help feed Bob as well in hopes it will help motivate him to work on the native iPhone app.. :-)
Posted 15 years ago
joey.giordano says:
please!
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
iPhone app, "Things" by Cultured Code, is a native app that connects to RTM
Posted 15 years ago
esantos says:
I can't seem to find any information on "Things" and syncing with RTM. It doesn't seem capable of syncing with RTM (??).

Any link to any info?
Posted 15 years ago
browndotjoel says:
If i could have a native iphone app that works basically like the netvibes RTM widget I would gladly get a pro account and buy the app. I'm not a huge fan of the way the iphone/safari interface is laid out.
Posted 15 years ago
roland.malaprade says:
+1 for the native iPhone app.

I'm holding off upgrading my account to pro, because I don't got no iPhone yet.
Posted 15 years ago
ceejaysmith says:
Count me in for one more who will definitely 'go PRO' once there is a standalone RTM iPhone app.
Posted 15 years ago
stevelenti says:
+1 for native iPhone app..
Posted 15 years ago
toneill says:
+1 for native app
Posted 15 years ago
melphd says:
I add my request for a native IPhone ap. I have been using Things for IPhone and there are some things about it I prefer to RTM on the IPhone. If you made these changes, I would be oh so happy! I want to be able to move to-do's from one list to another in multiples, including the TODAY and TOMORROW lists. Also, I love how Things requires just one touch to show an item completed. Is there a log somewhere of items done? There may be, but I love that about Things, too. I am considering RTM because it has no calendar or email synching and I don't own a mac so all my to-dos could be gone if my phone crashes. Things is definitely quicker than RTM, too. More integration with gmail and google calendar online would be great, too!
Posted 15 years ago
tswartz says:
Any news on an app?
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
+1. C'mon RTM, be a pal and respond to your followers!!!
Posted 15 years ago
roger.mitchell says:
+1 Please make it available.
Posted 15 years ago
davidke says:
reminders, and geo location reminders
Posted 15 years ago
niai says:
+1
Posted 15 years ago
chadstur says:
Native app! Native app, I say. :p

+1
Posted 15 years ago
cfunk says:
+1
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
esnatos *SORRY* it's not Things, it is:
Appigo, Todo
www.appigo.com
They have a Todo application that syncs with RTM
Posted 15 years ago
vanilla8 says:
hwangeruk - smart lists aren't supported in appigo, which is a personal pain for me. Honestly, I'm monitoring Things and waiting for the sync feature to be introduced with their cool native iPhone app and their desktop app. If that works well I'll switch, but will continue to monitor RTM as I have a soft spot for this service. Just wish RTM would hurry up and release the darn thing, but at least there's an alternative...
Posted 15 years ago
amy_cgi says:
+1 for native app! This would be *so* helpful for me with my iPod touch
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
Dear Remember The Milk Genius Developers:

There is obviously a critical mass of people out there who are desperate for an RTM iphone app. You're obviously working on it, or decided against working on it for some reason. Why not make a public statement, so we can stop worrying?

This is keeping me up at night.

Love you,

Juan
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
+1
Posted 15 years ago
bevvyb says:
This is keeping my up at night too

Appigo To Do doesn't cut it if you want to use tags, so any chance of using a GTD methodology is out

Hopefully a RTM iPhone app would sort all that out
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
Juantastic--If you'll note above, Emily has made a number of statements to the effect that they are working on an application. Most recently, see July 24th.
Posted 15 years ago
dyz2102 says:
Native app is a must - the savings that I would accumulate from NOT receiving text message reminders but rather have the native app remind me on the iPhone directly - it's huge, and totally worth the money.
Posted 15 years ago
dcefrance says:
Thanks for your post Emily (July 24th at 14:52). It's always a good feeling to be kept in the loop...

Please add my name as a banana supplier for Bob and whatever I can do to help him get through those codecrunching nights.

I am dreaming of an RTM app which allows me to consult my RTM ToDo lists when I'm offline (somewhere with niether WiFi nor mobile coverage) and am allowing myself to fantasize about even being able to modify my RTM information offline and sync afterwards when I'm back online. This is what I'm doing with Zenbe Lists while waiting...

Although I certainly understand why you can't predict release dates or pre-announcements... I mean how long has RTM been in "beta" now? But I appreciate you keeping us informed and letting us know you are working in this direction...

Go for it Bob we're all counting on you!!!

;-)
Posted 15 years ago
herringtown says:
+1

= )
Posted 15 years ago
maseratij says:
Google Gears is and RTM are working with Linux on N800. Does Google Gears work on Safari?
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
Enjoy the bananas, Bob!

...but please, make the native app soon!!!!!!!
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
Any release date set?
Posted 15 years ago
adame says:
Can't waiiiiiiiiiiit!

Actually, I can. Bob is probably caught up in the hype of Australia doing so well in the Olympics.

=]
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
I would love to see this soon!
Posted 15 years ago
powder8 says:
This would make me use this site for all of my tasks were it integrated with my iPhone.
Posted 15 years ago
nouman6 says:
+1 :) would use this big time.
Posted 15 years ago
judsond says:
Keep in mind that they can't make it free for only pro users since apple's store doesn't have a "discount code" or anything like that. Apple does not offer different prices for different people, and it's not as if they can distribute it directly.

What they can do is limit what people can do based on their pro status. The API can tell if you're pro and let you do different things. Maybe for example, the app would be free, but would only connect to a pro account. An even better solution to be would be make it free, full connect to pro accounts, but let non-pro connect to shared lists or something. That way the pro users can convert people ;) "I want to share a list with you, just download the free RTM app, and you will have my grocery list" etc.

Very excited about this btw. :)
Posted 15 years ago
c0debabe says:
Go, Bob, go! I look forward to using the Apple RTM on my iPod Touch.
Posted 15 years ago
binaryeric says:
Emily! How is Bob's progress coming along? Is he still locked away working on something? :) or has he taken his creation hostage and will be posting a ransom note soon?
Posted 15 years ago
dennyyin says:
+1 :)
I cannot wait to see the native application!!! Definitely need it! I would like to pay for the Pro account once this application comes out!
Posted 15 years ago
gwynne.stoddart says:
+1 on native rtm iphone app.
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
Another vote here. I almost purchased To Do, until I read this thread. In terms of pricing, if you can make it modest, you will definitely attract more users. Of course, you can also stipulate that a Pro account is required (given the syncing support). So, if a Pro account is $25, maybe the iPhone app is $10?

Impatiently waiting...
Posted 15 years ago
james.basbas says:
+1 on native rtm app. I am ready to purchase a pro account, but spend a lot of time out of internet service so it useless to me without a native app to be able to go to. I second getting some kind of estimate on when it will be ready. Only because if you say 2 weeks I will wait to spend my money with RTM, but if you say 3 months, I need to look elsewhere.

Thank you,
Posted 15 years ago
tparish says:
+1 I'm ready for the native iPhone REM app. please please ... bring it on.
appreciatively.
Posted 15 years ago
scaryman says:
+1, when the IPhone App comes i buy the Pro
Posted 15 years ago
vanilla8 says:
FYI - Things has just been updated to include syncing between their iPhone app and the desktop version and now includes Tags.....
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
Things' netive app is very tempting. I really need something to start using now, and the webapp is not ideal, as I need to be able to use the app when I'm not connected, e.g. commuting.

Would be good to get some kind of idea how long is expected before the RTM app is released. If it's soon, I'll hold off, otherwise I might have to go with Things instead.
Posted 15 years ago
kersti says:
I was just looking at doing what Scott has done and buying Appigo.

A native iPot app would be the killer app for me. No access to wifi where I work so my Touch cannot use the online site.
Posted 15 years ago
pksiit says:
+1 on the native RTM iPhone/iPod app. and it'd be really good if it'll give offline access to the RTM lists. The RTM webapp is gr8 but you need internet for it.
Posted 15 years ago
outlanderbz says:
add me to this list.
Posted 15 years ago
joshnunn says:
I'd also like to know how long to hold off buying "todo". If its a month, I'll wait, a year- not so much
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
I'm really tired of waiting. Bought ToDo instead and it fits for my needs.
Posted 15 years ago
jkrell says:
Seriously, I'm all for patience and waiting for a good product, as opposed to something rushed. But it has been a long time since the app store opened (over a month) and still nothing but promises. The web interface is good enough to hold a lot of us over, but there's obviously a lot of interest in a native app. What gives?
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
bought Things instead, couldn't wait any longer.
Posted 15 years ago
jamesmcoats says:
Emily,

Can we please get a estimated release date? I know many companies don't like to put release dates out there--and that's understandable--but having some clue would be great. A native "todo" app is the main reason I was so looking forward to the iPhone app store and it would help me immensely.

Thanks,

James
Posted 15 years ago
beowulfe says:
+1 from me too. I'll go pro as soon as this is available.
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
+1 for me. I need a native app on phone before I want to commit to a pro account... If I can't get the native app then I'll need to invest in some sort of desktop syncing solution.

Even just an official notice that an iPhone app is planned would be enough for me to go pro today.
Posted 15 years ago
arr says:
Still anxiously awaiting :)
Posted 15 years ago
james.basbas says:
No response from Emily... and I couldn't wait any longer. I went with Todo, works nicely, no smartlists is the only disappointment I have seen so far. Otherwise looks nice, even got me thinking about switching over to toodledo but I am a RTM loyalist, just would like to see some action on a native app.

Thanks!
Posted 15 years ago
scott224 says:
If I want to add something to my inbox with RTM, I first have to wait the 4 to sometimes 30 seconds for the pages to load on my iPhone 3G. Then I have to click the + button and wait another couple seconds, then click on the task name to start entering the task.

I want RTM to work more like the new version of Things. Within 4 seconds I can be entering a new task into my inbox.

I want to use RTM, not Things. But, I simply can't use a program that requires me to wait 15 to 40 seconds (depending on wireless reception) to enter in a task.

For the iPhone user, a native app is a must.
Posted 15 years ago
@scott224 - I am not an iPhone user, so I cannot comment on the platform, but I can only assume composing an email is faster than what you describe. Assuming that is so, why not add your RTM import address as a contact and then zip off an email on the go, which will be waiting for you in RTM when you next have time to cull your inbox?

https://www.rememberthemilk.com/help/answers/sending/emailinbox.rtm
Posted 15 years ago
ab (Remember The Milk) says:
Just for the people who seem to not be reading the whole post, I guess that's reasonable considering the length it's getting ;)

It's littered with clues by Emily :) Clues that don't need Sherlock Homes on the case hehe

I saw Bob the other day and I guess I could report, the bananas some of you sent are doing wonders :)
Posted 15 years ago
bygottski says:
@scott224: Or better yet, Jott it.
http://www.jott.com
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
Man, I'm buying the RTM app the day it comes out. Can't wait for it!

P.S. I'm typing this from my iPod touch right now. :)
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY

It is six months ago today that someone suggested a native app. Since then 257 posts have followed, with that majority in full support.

Let's have some cake and hope the competition does not come up with something better (I know there are others out there already but they are not as good as RTM, yet!!)
Posted 15 years ago
sirish76 says:
+1
The RTM web.app is nice but suffers from long response times on 3G and Edge.

Many clues but no release date for the iPhone native app...
Maybe I'll have to consider the alternatives as some of you did. :-(
Posted 15 years ago
souviends says:
I'd like to add another vote for a native iphone app that syncs with the web service. The web service is wonderful, but it would be nice to have the functionality of native app (sorting to do lists, etc) on the iphone.

Keep up the great work!
Posted 15 years ago
binaryeric says:
I don't get it. Why wouldn't RTM at least provide some info about a native app??? I understand not publishing features, etc but can you at least write a blog confirming that the app is indeed on the way and give a rough idea of when it will arrive??

I am in the same boat as many others... I thought the RTM app would arrive sometime shortly after July 11th but here we are at Aug 22nd and still not even a confirmation that it will exist.

I *really* need an RTM app for offline task entry on my iPod touch and Todo already exists and is apparently pretty good... I would wait if I had *something* to go on... but without out, I will have to give up and buy Todo instead.

Loyal RTM Pro user who desperately needs a native app.
Posted 15 years ago
timkalee says:
Apple is postponing push for apps. :(
I'm actually surprisingly satisfied with the Todo/RTM syncing for now, but I'm still rooting for Bob! Missing my tags and smartlists too!
Posted 15 years ago
rwetsel says:
+1 (what are we up to now 1000? Ha).
Posted 15 years ago
jacksondn says:
+1
Go Bob, go Bob, go. We are all pulling for you!
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
+1
Posted 15 years ago
richstyles says:
I think those of you griping about a "native" iPhone would do fine with the Todo app from appigo or whatever they call themselves.

As much as I'd jump on a native app, I saved myself headache and heartbreak waiting on Bob the monkey. You're already paying $25/year for Pro (which you will need for the native app if you're not already) so the $10 for the Todo app is not that steep. You could even switch to toodledo for the time being and forego a pro subscription altogether. Not to mention it's a $500 phone you're tacking this onto.

If you value your time and productivity, $10 for immediate gratification and additional productivity is but a small price. Plus, helping third party developers eat is the best way to keep these great third-party solutions coming our way.

Just my 2 cents. Not starting a flame war. It's just that I was in a similar position but after buying Todo, I can just lay back and check here every now and then.

Native RTM better be really good to blow the competition away though. Better feed Bob some bananas laced with crack! lol
Posted 15 years ago
rajington says:
+1

...whew, just read the entire thread. Also wanted to say that this is my second-favorite webapp, first is Gmail. And I use a LOT of webapps. I was so proud when you guys won the ADA
Posted 15 years ago
rajington says:
Also, people waiting should realize that programming forthe iPhone is very different than the previous programming RTM has done. I'm sure we all will agree with the blizzard stance "products will be released when they are finished, polished and can meet the fan expectations and the blizzard name"
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
I think many of us would be satisfied to know for sure that an app will be released (even if it doesn't have a specific date).

However, I have taken the many clues and hints in good faith that the RTM will in fact be released and I went pro. The web app is good enough to hold me over for awhile longer.
Posted 15 years ago
jkrell says:
ab, the clues Emily dropped are hardly definitive. Throw us a bone -- are we talking this year? How about getting us down to the quarter? Q3 2008? Q4? Q1 2009?
Posted 15 years ago
ceejaysmith says:
Yeah, I've just 'gone Pro' in anticipation of a native app at some point. The web app is OK, but offline access would be so much better.

How 'bout an ETA??
Posted 15 years ago
dara.pressley says:
Decided to skip the starbucks today and go ahead and buy the Todo app.

By using my coffee money -- I still have budget left for an RTM app (if it were to have a price). :smile:

It would be nice to get an eta.

Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
I love RTM! Keep up the great work! I bought Omni focus for iPhone but it runs so slow (takes like 30 seconds just to open) that it became impractical to add quick todos. Plus no sync for Windows.

Switched to Todo which is solid but does not auto-sync, does not allow you to see saved searches, and doesn't support tags. (Plus doesn't have the cute cow logo). The other annoying feature is you can't hotlink phone numbers from notes.

Love to see what RTM comes up with and will likely switch yet again.
Posted 15 years ago
maseratij says:
I posted the query if Safari worked with Gears back on 8/14 with no replies. I honestly thought that this made more sense than a dedicated IPhone application.

http://www.jkontherun.com/2008/08/google-intros-b.html

Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
+1

at least let us know how the progress is coming along?

please?
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
You guys really failed me on this one...jumped ship to Things from Cultured Code...
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
haha, no one answers for two whole days and then we respond at the same minute...nice =)
Posted 15 years ago
pjwilkinson says:
I've got to add my two cents too. - WHEN IS THE IPHONE APP coming out? ;-)
Posted 15 years ago
chadstur says:
If there isn't an iPhone app by mid September I'm going to Things as well.
Posted 15 years ago
cragfast says:
I'm going to give them a bit longer than that, but as soon as Things supports tags on the iPhone I'm migrating - unless RTM has at least got a release date for the iPhone app.
Posted 15 years ago
alejandrops says:
I ended buying things and I think is great!
Too bad I cant convert mails into tasks as easy as with rtm. I also miss the google calendar integration. However is very intuitive and is very polished.
I hope the delay delivering the native iphone app worth the wait!
Posted 15 years ago
vanilla8 says:
I've been using Things for a few days now and its pretty cool, but I would love a native RTM.
I have to say I find this complete lack of communication pretty poor show. I understand this is a small setup but dear God a simple pointer to an approximate ETA is surely not that difficult to post?
Look at how long this thread has been active and throughout that time we've had absolutely zip from the team except to say that its under development. Come one guys give us a bit of slack, open up a touch and let us know what's happening.
Okay rant over....

Posted 15 years ago
stormlifter says:
Woah. Guess if I said I wanted a native app I'd be in a line huh? Oh well.
Posted 15 years ago
maseratij says:
I understand "team". "the team" hopefully is too busy trying to get an Android version out with the HTC Dream!

On an open source mobile OS.

Now that the android developers competition is over they can back to writing code for the "Evil Apple". Perhaps they take too much of a cut on the app fee? So where $9 is fair they need to charge $20 to Get Apple their cut and net the Fair $9 profit.

Ohhh.............................. Never Mind.
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
As long as I don't leave my country, Japan, the web version works fine since our carrier, Soft Bank, set the price cap for the data transaction in Japan.

But I turn data roaming off when I go abroad, so the current web version becomes useless unless I am getting WiFi access.

I am tempted to switch to a different iPhone application, not renewing the RTM pro account, just because of that. Why have I not done it yet? Because I like the design and smart entry system like "tod", "sat", etc.

Please make the iPhone app version. It must be a killer application!
Posted 15 years ago
binaryeric says:
Ok, I give. If RTM was developing a native app and had plans to release it any time soon, I would expect that they would mention it officially on their blog with an ETA.

I bought todo. It's 9.99, which is about 40% of what RTM Pro costs for an entire year, which sucks - but I really can't wait any longer for offline task entry.
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
OK, I made a mistake, sorry. Things DOES NOT SYNC with RTM.

You must use Todo, from Appigo. I purchased this one and requested a refund from Apple for Things...they gave it to me.

Todo is great by the way...

~Michael
Posted 15 years ago
michael.yolland says:
A native app would certainly push me to go Pro. I have used the site forever and would love a native app, as sometimes there is just no connectivity - normally when I do most of my planning :)
Posted 15 years ago
stjohnjohnson says:
Just a note, a co-worker and I are currently working on a RTM iPhone application. It's about 50% done. But as anyone who has a full-time job knows, personal projects don't get enough time allocated as they should. So there is no estimated delivery date.

One thing is for sure, this app will be free.
Posted 15 years ago
ceejaysmith says:
Wow, that's great StJohn. Let's see whether your one gets there before the official one.

And, just out of interest, what do you plan to do if there is an official release before you get your out?
Posted 15 years ago
antony.stubbs says:
+1
Posted 15 years ago
lunamania says:
any update on a release date?
Posted 15 years ago
arvid says:
Hi All,

there is no update on a release date yet. Bob and the development team are working hard on several items and therefore we can't commit to a date.

Apologies,

Arvid
Posted 15 years ago
fturner says:
I've let my Pro trial lapse as I wait for the iPhone app. I just can't see how RTM would be able to credit me when I purchase the iPhone app from the App Store.

So I'm using the mobile version of RTM, but in general my usage has declined because it's much less usable. The Pro version has bitten me several times in that it doesn't work offline; I've been traveling a lot lately, with data roaming turned off, and suddenly I'm disconnected entirely from my to-do application. It's a recipe for not getting things done. :)

I appreciate the update, Arvid, but I really do hope we're talking sooner rather than later on this app.
Posted 15 years ago
spencer.creasey says:
Too bad you guys waited so long... seems like you lost a lot of potential business...

If I worked for RTM... (Remember The Milk) says:

This would not have happened.
Posted 15 years ago
njustn says:
Hey guys, quit harassing them over it, chances are, the reason it's not done is because it isn't done yet. If anyone here thinks it's easy to write a solid application ready for the public, you're nuts. Especially since this is, in a way, a third platform for the application which is largely different and has some rather great hurdles to cross.

If and when it lives up to the standards of the great RTM employees, we'll get it, in the meantime, use the other options mentioned here or offer support, but stop it with the badgering.
Posted 15 years ago
vanilla8 says:
njustn - Of course you're right. However, IMO the negativity building up here is NOT purely about how long the app is taking to be built...it's really down to the lack of communication.

Trying to get an update on progress has been akin to the proverbial getting blood out of a stone. If they can't see it arriving until early next year for example, fine, just tell us for crying out loud - post it on the forum or on the main blog and then we can move on, we wouldn't be particularly happy but at least we'd know and respect them for advising us..its not that difficult.

Back in early July if Emily had instead posted that 'Bob' was working away and hoping to give us a nice xmas present or maybe a nice New years gift for example rather than the vague entry actually posted that would have saved an awful lot of frustrated postings from people waiting for the app.

Just talk to your customers and be open is the learning.
Rant over.

Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
I agree a native app is needed!!!
Posted 15 years ago
dara.pressley says:
@vanilla8

I agree with the lack of communication part. There is the impression that the app will be out any day, which of course means that people are check ing this forum everyday for an update. A very loose time guesstimate would be helpful in just calming folks down.

What also would be nice is to email members updates when there are new features available -- including this app.

I, for one, did buy the To Do app, but only to use until RTM is available. At only 9.99 I'm not breaking the bank to use it in the mean time. I still have access to my RTM list even though I don't have all the features RTM would hopefully offer (like tagging).

Anyway, the moral of the story is that more communications with users is better than hardly any. Check out Evernote, for example -- they twitter their information (updates, news, blog postings, tips & tricks, etc) and routinely send out emails about updates.
Posted 15 years ago
spencer.creasey says:
No harassment intended. I just feel bad for RTM. They fit perfectly into the day to day use of an iPhone and not developing that sooner than later makes me hope that most people won't jump ship while an app is in the works. All I can say is that a little communication (and a screenshot *hint* *hint* :) goes a long way.
Posted 15 years ago
chandra.gaajula says:
The guys at RTM must certainly be working on an iPhone App. I can seriously use one myself. If there is any news with regards to this please share it with the user base.
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
I have switched to Toodledo.

:)
Posted 15 years ago
jkrell says:
Couldn't wait anymore ... I downloaded Todo for the iPhone. It works, just not as good as I think/hope the proprietary app whenever that comes out (most likely not until 2010 from the lack of updates).

Seems like the slowness to get this out and the lack of info to the pro user community is hurting RTM in the long run.
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
I've tried a number of task managers (probably like most of us here) for the iphone and personally, I think Todo is easily the best. I'm really happy with it.

It makes me wonder: if Todo supported smartlists, would you even bother or need an app specifically created by RTM? Smartlists seem to be the only missing piece! There's talk of supporting RTM, but you have to have a pro account for Todo, so you're supporting them anyway...

Just passing on my thoughts and adding to the length of this thread, which is very entertaining!
Posted 15 years ago
For anyone missing the posts from RTM team members in this topic, there have been 6 posts that confirm that Bob and the team are working hard on something (I posted even before the App Store became available, as I knew this would be a hot topic).

As I said before, "if there's something to share, you can be sure we'll share it". :)

We have no desire to leave you guys in the dark about anything, but there really aren't any updates available... apart from the fact that Bob and the team are still working hard. :) If there were further updates, I'd be posting them (as fun as all the friendly hassling is... ;)

rajington posted earlier in this topic that Blizzard (the game developer/publisher) has the stance that "products will be released when they are finished, polished and can meet the fan expectations and the blizzard name". I wholeheartedly agree with that stance and think it represents us pretty well too (er, except replace 'Blizzard' with 'RTM' :)

I don't anticipate having any further updates until the release of that something that Bob and the team are working hard on. That release will happen just as soon as the criteria in the previous paragraph are met, and you can be sure that we're working our hardest to make that happen as soon as we can (hopefully not 2010, as jkrell expects :)

One last thing... a huge thanks to everyone who's posted supportive messages in this topic. We really do appreciate all your support. :)
Posted 15 years ago
richstyles says:
Todo from appigo keeps getting better (now with sync on startup). RTM is and always will be a web service first and foremost. Plus, RTM is run by a really tight, small team doing amazing things. iPhone development is a lot more involving than most people realize not to mention all the red tape setting it up.

I look forward to whatever wonderful ideas RTM can bring to a native app even just for some friendly competition but the majority of what people are seeking is available here and now if you just pay an additional $10.

My question is, will RTM be developing a native app exclusively for Pro members? Or will being a pro member unlock more features?
Posted 15 years ago
sobko says:
Appigo already provides native RTM functionality.
Are you guys sure you're not just focusing on this
As a way to avoid actually doing the stuff on your
Lists?
Posted 15 years ago
glynor says:
Just thought I'd say... I'm a brand new RTM user. I'm primarily interested in using RTM with my iPhone. I'm very glad to see a native app is under development. After my initial experiences using the Web App on the iPhone in the grocery store, I wouldn't continue to use RTM without a true native application.

Here's hoping that it comes sooner rather than later! ToDo looks like a good backup, but I suspect that what RTM provides is going to blow it out of the water (I'm really interested in what you'll do with location aware tasks). So, I'll hold off for now and see what develops.
Posted 15 years ago
hitoshi.nakamura says:
The only problem of ToDo from Appigo is that it doesn't support the "tag" functionality of RTM. If it is implemented by Appigo, then I don't need a native app from RTM anymore.
# Personally I like cow icon and want to place it on my iPhone home screen... :-)
Posted 15 years ago
bygottski says:
That's a great mentality, but perfect is the enemy of good enough.

Blizzard is a poor example for me--they lost me as a customer forever after the whole Starcraft release thing. I waited that long for something that's "perfect" and "revolutionary," and when it finally came out it and was neither, I lost all faith in them...

I just wish I had some idea of whether we we're dealing with days or months or years, which is apparently not going to get answered. Seems ironic, coming from a group specializing in task-tracking :)

Well, I suppose I've lived this long without native RTM...and I'm still alive...
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
I see yet another iPhone native app hitting the streets

http://www.tuaw.com/2008/09/10/tasks-in-the-cloud-vito-technologys-task2gather/

come on RTM.....
Posted 15 years ago
akimbo says:
Just a note to say that Appigo's ToDo has been great for me on the iPhone, and my preference would be to have RTM continue to focus on the web interface, where they shine.
Posted 15 years ago
tswartz says:
I gave up on RTM and bought OmniFocus. Haven't looked back.
Posted 15 years ago
spencer.creasey says:
-1 for Blizzard
Posted 15 years ago
ujohnc00 says:
+1 for the native app. If you decide to charge for the RTM iPhone app, it should be more compelling than TODO (http://www.appigo.com/todo/).

Can't wait!
Posted 15 years ago
vagabond99 says:
GO BOB GO! PROGRAM YOU CHUNKY LITTLE MONKEY!!!
Posted 15 years ago
supermoa says:
Ho yes please continue your excellent work with a native application on iphone for alert, speed and synchronisation...
Keep your style, you are very goog !
Posted 15 years ago
derickvaladao says:
I paid for Pro today. I'm cool with using the Web app for now and I completely agree with the stance that software shouldn't be released until ready.

I would expect that the app would be free but require a pro login to work. Thanks for letting us know that you're working on _something_, that way I won't waste any money on ToDo by Appigo.
Posted 15 years ago
plhosk says:
I just purchased ToDo by Appigo. Very slick, although I was forced to move from tag-based organization to list-based. Will the RTM iPhone app be able to catch up to ToDo? Maybe not.

Posted 15 years ago
mark.meisner says:
I just wanted to say that I appreciate that you are making a native app. It will not only make it easier and faster to update notes, but will also be better for iPod Touch owners who do not have access to the web all the time. They can edit RTM without an internet connection and then sync it later. Also, $2 or free sounds like a good price to me.
Posted 15 years ago
rampager says:
Man, I can't wait when this comes out. It's going to down-right beautiful, everything from response times to user interface to the little things, like the awesome cow icon.

Screw Appigo, I've lived without RTM for the iPhone for a solid two years, I can wait another six months just to be dazzled by a native app. When Emily quoted Blizzard's motto "it's done when its done" is one of the best things you can hope for, it means some damn fine quality software.

Waiting patiently :) Keep it up, RTM crew!
Posted 15 years ago
wearethedeckers says:
one more soul looking forward to the RTM iPhone native app. I agree with derickvaladao: "I would expect that the app would be free but require a pro login to work."
also, the Evernote for iPhone app is brilliant (iPhone webdesktop syncing). I don't even need a desktop version for RTM, just iPhone native and web-based would be perfect!
Posted 15 years ago
michael.hund says:
Yes, Yes Yes!
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
A point for Bob, Emily et al.: if the app is indeed free, but requires a pro account, make sure you spell this out in big letters in the app description, otherwise I can just see some numbnuts out there downloading the app, then posting a 1-star review saying something like "they say this app is free, but then you have to sign up and pay! It's a con! Blah blah blah". You may have already considered this, but just thought I'd point it out. We don't want what I'm sure will be a great app getting undeserved bad reviews.

Waiting patiently...
Posted 15 years ago
ogourment says:
hello

Yes. NATIVE IPHONE APP PLEASE!

The existing web app is good but I want to be able to add or query tasks while I am in the subway (ie. without 3G or wifi).

THANK YOU!
Posted 15 years ago
milkiglo says:
Hiya! Just upgraded to pro in anticipation of my 2G 32gig iPod touch arriving laser engraved from China. ;)

I have wireless @home and @university. I'll be glad when the native app comes. It doesn't make sense to wait and hate for the native app. RTM kicks ass so I am going to support them now when they are in R&D for the native app. Rather than go to some todo list app with no love invested in it.

imho:
Omni? ewww....

btw:
I'll be reading ebooks on the metro in the mean time. eReader was just added to the app store for free, and free content is available in lots of places like: manybooks.net
Posted 15 years ago
pbeens says:
I was ready to buy a pro account last night but discovered RTM only works within wi-fi range. The *second* you release an app is the second I'll buy a pro account (or buy the app).
Posted 15 years ago
dara.pressley says:
@ pbeens

That's actually incorrect. RTM works with any internet connection through iphone safari -- wi-fi, edge, 3g. And for a web app, the product is actually quite nice.

I think that what users are looking for now is a app that doesn't need constant connection and may have more features available for iphone specifically than can be done on a wap page.
Posted 15 years ago
jonjudelson says:
I would love to see a native app because of the speedyness and offline use.
Posted 15 years ago
charles.r.king says:
Todo Sync wants you to have a proAccount? No offense but you're taking your sweet time with the app, but want us to pay to use an app that already does the same thing? convince me why I should upgrade!
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
@charles.r.king

Nobody wants you to pay for ToDo. You do have to pay for syncing remotely w/ milksync or your iphone.
Posted 15 years ago
jlcampbelliv says:
Sorry, but, paying for this service to use it on my iphone is enough nonsense for me to use an entirely different service that is free on the iphone.

It's not an app to begin with. its http://m.rememberthemilk.com/

To think however many people are paying $25 a year for this is money down the drain.

This needs to be free just like the RTM website or the google add-in.
Posted 15 years ago
esantos says:
Any updates?
Posted 15 years ago
landrew65 says:
I am so desperate for an iPhone native todo list app that I would gladly subscribe as a pro user just to get this ONE thing. I want my tasks offline. On my iPhone. I know it sounds silly, but sometimes you need a task list and you are not online. Or it's slow. Or spotty. Or whatever. I'd pay $25 a year for it. Please make it! 300+ other repliers agree. Please give us a date! :)
Posted 15 years ago
nab says:
+1
Posted 15 years ago
cow6oy says:
Checking daily for an native RTM iPhone app at the AppStore -- any info if this is planned? Thanks!
Posted 15 years ago
daxdavis says:
I'd love one as well.
Posted 15 years ago
jyrinx says:
No need to check daily - new apps are released on Tuesdays :-)
Posted 15 years ago
subvert says:
@jyrinx - New music comes out on Tuesdays... new apps come out any day. The last app I was checking for every day, ewallet, came out on a Sunday.
Posted 15 years ago
derickvaladao says:
If you are at all interested in tracking new and updated iPhone apps and don't already know how:

http://www.pinchmedia.com/

Down at the bottom of the page are links to four RSS feeds:
New
Updated
Top 100 Free
Top 100 Paid

I keep an eye on those religiously in hopes of finding awesome apps asap and random apps which are free for a limited time.

Happy thumb twirling :)
Posted 15 years ago
pbeens says:
@dara.pressley

Sorry, I should have specified that I have an iPod Touch, not an iPhone. No cellular internet access -- therefore it only works within wi-fi range.

Again, I'm requesting an offline app so I can take my RTM list with me. (please, please!)
Posted 15 years ago
adame says:
@the people wanting alerts

Alerts won't be possible with a native app until Apple release their push notification service early next year.
Posted 15 years ago
ab (Remember The Milk) says:
@pbeens I use an iPod Touch too! They're better anyway, faster I think :) Less phone *stuff* clogging up my tubes! Forget cellular internet access! Who needs it!

(secretly wants his iPhone...maybe 3.0!)
Posted 15 years ago
derek.conjar says:
Todo.app gets the job done for me. Tagging should be coming soon.
Posted 15 years ago
esantos says:
Any other apps that can sync with RTM?
Posted 15 years ago
glenn.platt says:
+1 on the head count. I'll use Todo until RTM releases the app.
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
+1 - Please give us a release dates.
Posted 15 years ago
sam.gammon says:
+1. Definitely need a native app. Charge for it - hire a second programmer.
Posted 15 years ago
appaquet says:
+1 for native, I'll go pro for sure!
Posted 15 years ago
shadowz says:
+1

I got pro account just for the syncing ability with my crackberry. Now that I am switching to an iPhone, I would like to see a native app on the iPhone also.

Anyhow, great work, I like what the RTM team did. =p
Posted 15 years ago
kent7854 says:
Throw my name on the list of people that would gladly pay for a good syncing App for the iPhone / Touch.

Personally I would prefer an App that does not require you to be online to use as I have the Touch currently and would love to be able to use it for lists and tasks offline.

The web interface is incredible, but I can't always be in WiFi range to use it.
Posted 15 years ago
plhosk says:
Buy Todo by Appigo - it works very well with RTM and costs less than a movie ticket.
Posted 15 years ago
jyrinx says:
I'm pretty sure a Cessna costs less than a movie ticket these days …
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
-1 ToDo covers almost all functionality. So a native app is there
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
another +1 for an RTM produced iphone native app
Posted 15 years ago
fergusryan says:
+1
Posted 15 years ago
ssmi153 says:
Can't wait for my smart lists to work offline. Todo works but is rather sub-optimal.

+1 here!
Posted 15 years ago
ryan.detzel says:
I've offered to help them create a native app, I haven't heard anything back from them though(Maybe they are doing it internally). I would just create it but I don't want to spend hours on something that they will not allow so until I get the OK I'm not working anymore it.
Posted 15 years ago
8rays says:
Yes, a capable offline native app that works offline would rock. I would even pay for it.
Posted 15 years ago
tallpjt says:
So, after reading the Lifehacker interview with Emily Boyd, I'm even MORE excited about the native app. And to be honest, I hope they charge $10-$20 bucks for it, because they DESERVE it. RTM is easily the best non-Google web application on the market. And for all of you who don't have a Pro account on this string, GET ONE! (Unless you're a starving student, because that's like 6 beers.) But seriously, even if you don't have an iPhone, it's RTM's primary source of revenue, so you should support the product you use and love by giving them a measly $25.

Okay, I'm done gushing.
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
uh-oh, Toodledo just release their native app on the appstore. Not sure if I can wait much longer before looking elsewhere. :-(
Posted 15 years ago
derickvaladao says:
I have to agree @owen.delaney that seeing Toodledo on the App Store with no official word from RTM is disconcerting. I went with RTM because of the awesome ways to add to the list and the simplicity of the interface (without betraying the inherent depth to it at that). However, it's getting harder to wait for an App. I'm ok with the web interface for now but, despite is solid design, is slow due to the limitations of the browser interface.

Can you guys at least re-author it using the recently reported hack over at Ars Technica to get rid of the useless toolbars?
Posted 15 years ago
ameuret says:
Here's how naive one can be: last week I applied for an API key, explaining I was a big fan of RTM but I missed a calendar sync for my iPhone. I proposed to develop a full-fledged native app for free (with possibly a USD -.99 fee for power users).

Guess what ! They have not answered... poor me.
Posted 15 years ago
tjones says:
+1 for an iphone app. i work on a farm sometimes and there's no connection, yet i still need to be reminded! a native app would address that.
Posted 15 years ago
milkiglo says:
Uhhh, I just tried out the Toodled webapp-I was really excited by the native iPhone app and printable folding list (pretty cool idea). However, five minutes with the app and you just feel that it is really, really, really fugly. It seriously looks like a Win3.1 (pre-Win95) app!
My eyes couldn't take it. To sync with the web app and run around native is what we all want. In the end though you spend the most time with the app in the browser. So I'm going to wait for RTM's native cuz their browser view is so beautiful and functional.
For the semi-anal tasker technophile (that sounds really bad, but describes me here at my macbook) this wait for the RTM native app feels like I'm eight years old waiting for Christmas!
When will it come? Can't we just open our native app now? Stop hiding it in the attic!
It'll be good. It'll be good. Waiting is so bitter sweet!
Wonder what I'll pine for after the app is realeased! ;)
Posted 15 years ago
jeroenc says:
we are waiting in the Netherlands too! ( that's far away in Europe, Americans ;-) )

Posted 15 years ago
dcoueron says:
Just signed for a pro account hoping to get an iphone native app soon !
So..... +1 !
Posted 15 years ago
capebretoner says:
Is there any movement on this? I live in an area where I can't have wifi all of the time and would love to be able to sync in the morning and go about my day

I would pay for the app $10-20 if it is good. I am sure others would too. make it pro only...
Posted 15 years ago
jacksonhca says:
+1
Posted 15 years ago
jmaquarry says:
i dare say what you are all looking/waiting for is very close over the horizon.

when it is here you wont be going back - RTM iphone integration is beautiful...
Posted 15 years ago
clindsey says:
Emily and other RTM developers, thanks for listening to the community. While I too want to see a native iPhone app, I think the negative comments on this thread are worthless and show an inability of some to appreciate everything you guys and gals do. Thanks!
Posted 15 years ago
ceejaysmith says:
@jmaquarry, what do you know that the rest of us don't?

Very intrigued.
Posted 15 years ago
stjohnjohnson says:
http://rtm2percent.blogspot.com/
Posted 15 years ago
gabriel.nyman says:
Would love a native app, Todo works until then but it's syncing could be better.
Posted 15 years ago
jmaquarry says:
eee what an awful lot of iphone users... and what an awfully long time to wait for rtm integration.

Thankfully, very soon i will be able to stop viewing this thread every day and focus on enjoying remember the milk on my

Posted 15 years ago
stjohnjohnson says:
If you want to follow the unofficial development of a native iPhone app for RTM, check out:

http://rtm2percent.blogspot.com/

I'll be posting often, hopefully, and always taking user suggestions and questions.
Posted 15 years ago
marc.garcia.marti says:
Hello there,

what do you guys think of Appigo Todo available at the App Store¿?
Posted 15 years ago
pete.kyle says:
+1
Posted 15 years ago
nitin.badjatia says:
+1
Posted 15 years ago
izanagi says:
+1
Posted 15 years ago
bluefishtshirts says:
WTF... you guys sure do take a long time to build Apps. I've been postponing upgrading to Pro for months now.
Posted 15 years ago
mootoh says:
Hello, there.

I'm developing an iPhone native application for RTM, named Milpon.
Currently it is in a beta testing phase. Please be a beta tester if you feel interested in. Send me a mail (mootoh at gmail dot com) with your iPhone/iPod touch UUID, then I will regist your device and tell the application download URL.

See more information on the project page and join the group to discuss about it.
Posted 15 years ago
chrisbx says:
I look at the app store every day... But still nothing ! :-(

(just to up this topic ! ;-) )
Posted 15 years ago
jwander14 says:
After getting REALLY frustrated waiting for a native app, I tried the Appigo/toodledo combo. Appigo worked well on the iphone but I like the RTM user interface much better. I decided to come back to RTM and I purchased a pro account. I must have drank too much of Bob's banana-flavored Kool-Aid!

I have one request: Please don't charge for the iphone app.

I would like to propose an option for the pricing. Offer a free download from the itunes store for the app. Offer syncing and some other features only when you upgrade to a pro account. This way, you can showcase a bit of the magic of RTM and then when people get hooked and want to upgrade (and they will want to upgrade), you get your revenue. Additionally, many people like me would be happy and wouldn't feel cheated for upgrading to pro within weeks (days?, hours?, minutes?) before the app will be ready and then having to purchase the app on top of the upgrade.

Thanks for the consideration and keep up the good work!
Posted 15 years ago
jonjudelson says:
One important reason we need the app is speed. Even over wifi, there is a delay when you are operating the RTM site on safari on the iPhone. In order to replace paper, it's got to be nearly as fast if not faster.

This thread has been open for ~10 months, can we at least start beta (or alpha) testing what you have?

Thanks!
Posted 15 years ago
ssmi153 says:
Hi there, one request to add to this. I use an iPod touch so do not have inbuilt gps capabilities. It'd be great to be able to manually tell RTM my location from the list that I've made. This way the app can use smart location based lists without needing any gps capabilities.

Can't wait for the release!
Posted 15 years ago
james.basbas says:
RTM a huge disappointment. I have been waiting for a native app forever, with no communication or even hope that one is coming. So I had to download Todo which isn't perfect but I like it. The real kicker is, I find myself using Todo more often now because I have an Ipod touch and don't have wifi at work so RTM won't sync with it until I get home. Having used it like this for a while, I can't really justify re-upping my pro account. Therefore, by not having a native app, not only did RTM lose the money I would have paid for one (and gave to Appigo), but you have lost a pro user as well. That's a shame.
Posted 15 years ago
asifm42 says:
Wanting to report an issue with RTM I stumbled across a link that lets you report a bug about the alpha/beta version of the iPhone software. Proof that they are developing the software.

Unfortunately, I haven't been selected to be a alpha/beta tester of the software.

To RTM developers...pick me!...pick me!

To the people who are bashing the RTM staff about communication...

If you read previous posts on this thread you will see that
---------

Well, Bob seems to be frantically coding something here... ;)

Thanks for the feedback everyone! We love the iPhone too.

Posted at 5:28am on July 10, 2008
----------
----------

desenso, Bob has been frantically coding on this something for many months... :)

Posted at 7:08am on July 10, 2008
----------
----------

Maybe we haven't been feeding Bob enough bananas? I knew we should have made him code faster...

Anyway, if there's something to share, you can be sure we'll share it. :)

Posted at 9:24am on July 10, 2008
----------
----------

chrisbx, I did ask Bob when he might be done, but he's a secretive little fellow, and wouldn't let anything slip. :(

He did say to let you all know that he really appreciates the bananas you've been sending his way (in fact, I think he's starting to look a bit chubby!).

As for a release date, I think tjndds may be onto something... when the last two lines of code are written sounds about right. :) We're doing everything we can to hurry Bob along though.

Posted at 6:52am on July 24, 2008
----------
----------

For anyone missing the posts from RTM team members in this topic, there have been 6 posts that confirm that Bob and the team are working hard on something (I posted even before the App Store became available, as I knew this would be a hot topic).

As I said before, "if there's something to share, you can be sure we'll share it". :)

We have no desire to leave you guys in the dark about anything, but there really aren't any updates available... apart from the fact that Bob and the team are still working hard. :) If there were further updates, I'd be posting them (as fun as all the friendly hassling is... ;)

rajington posted earlier in this topic that Blizzard (the game developer/publisher) has the stance that "products will be released when they are finished, polished and can meet the fan expectations and the blizzard name". I wholeheartedly agree with that stance and think it represents us pretty well too (er, except replace 'Blizzard' with 'RTM' :)

I don't anticipate having any further updates until the release of that something that Bob and the team are working hard on. That release will happen just as soon as the criteria in the previous paragraph are met, and you can be sure that we're working our hardest to make that happen as soon as we can (hopefully not 2010, as jkrell expects :)

One last thing... a huge thanks to everyone who's posted supportive messages in this topic. We really do appreciate all your support. :)

Posted at 12:57am on September 7, 2008
------------
Posted 15 years ago
chrisleonardo says:
can't wait for the RTM native app, I'm considering moving my to dos to another native app like things but want to keep my rtm!
Posted 15 years ago
shadowz says:
Really looking forward to this if it's true. I have been using the web app since the start but it just doesn't work all that well compared to a native app.
Posted 15 years ago
jmaquarry says:
indeed i can confirm there is a beta in the works... but hush its a secret!....
there are 100 beta testers out there
and i got to be one of them :)
Posted 15 years ago
guishermo says:
C'mon now, just release it and update as you go along, this is getting absurd.
Posted 15 years ago
You cannot comment on this idea as it is locked.