Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

Drag and drop to reorder tasks

(closed account) says:
I am a very visual thinker and it would be helpful to me to be able to manually reorder my task lists. A simple script to let the user click-and-drag tasks around would be extremely helpful, even if the order didn't save between browser sessions. I would use it to place the task I intend to focus on first in the first position on the list.

If you want to get fancy with it, I'd even suggest a feature where one can dump a task list (either a list, search, or smart list" onto a workspace and move the tasks around the entire screen. Bonus points for some kind of "current focus" box to drag a task into, and "next up" sections as well.
Posted at 4:36pm on November 10, 2007
Launched
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
Drag and drop to reorder tasks became available when we launched the new Remember The Milk. Thanks for everyone's feedback on this, and we hope you've been enjoying this new feature!
Posted 7 years ago
paul.sinclair says:
Wouldn't an easier alternative to this be just to expand the number of priorities to (say) nine, so that you can still update them with keyboard shortcuts, using zero to clear the priority. That way, anyone who wants to manually sort can just use priorities to do this.
Posted 16 years ago
richwoods says:
No. Numbers are a pain. Drag and drop would be great and then for users who just hate the idea of using their mouse maybe some key combination that just moves the selected event up or down.
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
IMHO, drag-n-drop reordering is the feature most clearly lacking from RTM.

Making lists of tasks to accomplish--and accomplish in the *proper order*--is RTM's entire raison d'etre. Frankly, I'm stunned that RTM doesn't already have this functionality. I figured it would have been in the app's very first iteration.

Other than that, I love the product! Thanks!
Posted 15 years ago
nathanpeterson says:
Agreed. It's really difficult to organize your day when your tasks are in a different order than the order you need to do them. And only 3 priorities isn't enough to arrange them. Drag and drop is a pretty standard feature in a lot of online software right now.
Posted 15 years ago
ranbarton Power Poster says:
I think sorting-by-tag would be a freat way to automate most of the benefits people are seeking from drag-and-drop.

Additionally, there are four priority levels, not three.
Posted 15 years ago
ranbarton Power Poster says:
That's great, not freat. I miss Firefox at work.
Posted 15 years ago
jdonnici says:
I'd like to register another vote for drag-and-drop reordering. Within a given list, the order in which I want to view/tackle things changes from time to time. Having to tinker with priority (which becomes an implicit "Sort Order") for this isn't very helpful.

I think there are lots of use cases where priority and order are both used - but separate from one another.
Posted 15 years ago
derek.conjar says:
I searched for drag-and-drop because I knew somebody must've posted about it. I'm about to add a new thread just to shed some light on it. Nozbe and Vitalist both have drag-and-drop, and it does make it much easier. I just want the option to reorder and then reorder back to how I had drag-and-dropped it, and it would be awesome.
Posted 15 years ago
jayne.vaughn says:
Yes, count me among those who think drag-and-drop is essential.

Using the priority numbers would be a hassle even with more numbers - and with only 3+none (i.e. 4) it is not workable. The priorities is workable, but not the ordering. Who only has 4 tasks to do???

And one thing may be higher priority but may need to be done after something else - I want the order to reflect the order it should be done, not necessarily the priority.

I just now signed up so I don't have more than 15 minutes invested so far. If there are better lists please post here - I plan to google Nozbe and Vitalist, thanks.
Posted 15 years ago
derek.conjar says:
@jayne.vaughn

I honestly wouldn't waste my time with Nozbe and Vitalist. They both are a lot simpler than RTM, BUT...

1) You'll have to pay $10/month or more if you have a decent number of projects.
2) Nozbe has improved, but they still have GTD dead wrong.
3) Vitalist says they are still developing, but their not. Look through their forums. Everybody's leaving.

I've tried every to-do list and GTD tool that is compatible with the iPhone, and nothing comes close to RTM. I just signed up as a pro member yesterday, and I definitely don't regret it.

If you use GTD like me, other web apps like Nozbe and Vitalist make it much easier to get the system up and running. But RTM is much better in the long run.
Posted 15 years ago
wernst says:
Geez, 9 priorities?! Awesome!

That's a great idea, and I would think it wouldn't take that much effort to code either.
Posted 15 years ago
nalts says:
@derek.conjar

I'm evaluating several GTD systems. Please explain how Nozbe doesn't understand GTD and how that may effect me.

TIA
Posted 15 years ago
dannielo says:
For implementing GTD you might try out this web-based application:

http://www.gtdagenda.com

You can use it to manage your goals, projects and tasks, set next actions and contexts, use checklists, schedules and a calendar.
A mobile version is available too.
Posted 15 years ago
wesley4 says:
+1 for drag and drop reordering. . . also a faster way to mark a task as complete (faster even than using the (c) shortcut that comes with a Greasemonkey script).
Posted 15 years ago
gorn says:
I vote for reordering the tasks bz drag-drop.
Posted 15 years ago
lazarb says:
Drag and drop is an optimal, proven method for ordering a list manually. It works well for initial sorting as well as inserting into an ordered list. (For initial sorting, one simply builds an ordered list incrementally, one entry at a time.) The keyboard analogs would be move-task-up and move-task-down.

Using numbers -- priorities or otherwise -- for ordering requires successive mental scans (find #1, then #2, etc.), and/or changing existing priorities to squeeze in each new task; not to mention the indefinite number of "priorities" required.

I look forward to this important feature.
Posted 15 years ago
minusfive says:
Drag 'n Drop! Drag 'n Drop! Drag 'n Drop!

Here's another thread about this same issue: http://www.rememberthemilk.com/forums/ideas/1582/

COME ON RTM TEAM, GET ON IT!
Posted 15 years ago
ian.hovander says:
Drag and Drop please!

+1
Posted 15 years ago
smanleyjr says:
I agree please add the drag and drop reordering feature it would make this tool very useful.
Posted 15 years ago
mike.hyde says:
Why is RTM not getting this? It feels like Apple doggedly refusing to implement Copy and Paste on the iphone.

Come on guys - this is so clearly a good idea. I checked RTM a year ago, and then didn't adopt it when I discovered that there was no reordering. Every now and again I check back, assuming that it will be implemented by now. The forums are always full of people requesting it, but still nothing? For me, lack of this single feature is a dealbreaker.
Posted 15 years ago
masterzap says:
I have to add my +1000 for this!

The lack of arbitrary reordering is having me this >< close to ditching RTM. It's a pity, because it has every other feature I want. But with arbitrary re-ordering (for things like a grocery list, so it matches the order the things are in the shop) would be a requirement.

*IDEALLY*, one would have a mobile client with a much simpler "check to complete" workflow than now (again, think grocery store). You want to check what's done, and it should just go away immediately, no confirmation dialogs or anything (AJAX). You can always "uncomplete" later, so why all the questions??

Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
I am in violent agreement on this topic...drag and drop reordering for lists is probably the most important feature that is missing from RTM.

I am not above a quid pro quo...
If there's ad hoc ord'ring, I'll go "Pro"
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
this would really improve my user experience.
+1
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
omg, i just posted a topic for this a second ago, Prioritizing on the move add one more vote as well.
Posted 15 years ago
tom.glover says:
This is one of THE most important remaining features. If it could be implemented as per the Basecamp/Backpack method it would be fantastic.

Can someone from RTM please at least acknowledge this recurring request from many users and a make a wonderful product even better.

Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
I also vote for for this feature. I am attempting to implement GTD using RTM and the ability to drag and drop actions under various projects would make planning so much easier. This just seems like a no-brainer. I cannot understand why RTM can have so many advanced feature and not this one! PLEASE IMPLEMENT DRAG AND DROP SORTING.
Posted 15 years ago
jgbrenner says:
Please add this crucial feature. Drag and drop among lists would be great too, but drag-and-drop custom reordering is indispensable for smooth prioritization
Posted 15 years ago
golovlev says:
+1 for drag-n-drop.
Posted 15 years ago
simpig says:
yes, +1 another one for drag and drop ordering - in addition to the priority setting (as mentioned, something important may just not make it on my today's to-do list).

but also suggest showing the items in a numbered list so that when I add an item by email from my phone, I can use a field to indicated approximately where in the list it should appear (ie. I know I have a list of about 20 items, so when I send myself an email with a new item I can indicate that it should be around 7 on my list, then can use drag/drop next time i am online to refine actual placement).
Posted 15 years ago
mahinirb says:
+1 on any drag-and-drop improvements.

hell, +1 on ANY improvements.
Posted 15 years ago
tonio3000 says:
Count my vote for drag n drop too.

I used to be on Vitalist and it's one of the features I really miss.
Posted 15 years ago
duneplanet says:
+1
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
One more vote for Drag'n'Drop.
Posted 15 years ago
rastabob says:
dito!
Posted 15 years ago
hectorarturoazuz says:
View the new Netvibes drag & drop function on Netvibes.com
Posted 15 years ago
abbiekressner says:
Reordering would DEFINITELY BE A NICE FEATURE!!
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
Another feature lacking that has caused me to ditch RTM.

It's too ridgid curently without such a function.

sides I know Rtm developers are worried about introducing new features that help some but bother others, if any thing such a feature would not bother those that don't use it and would help those that use it so much.
Please add it, it would make remember the milk much more flexible and inviting to many current and future users.

So a ++++1
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
+1
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
+1
Posted 15 years ago
diana.williams says:
+1
Posted 15 years ago
spacebear says:
+1

Being able to reorder lists would be awesome.
Posted 15 years ago
krissy says:
Thanks for your suggestions everyone. I know that this is definitely on the list for the developers to have a look at. If I get more information about possible implementation I will pass it on.
Posted 15 years ago
marmarou says:
krissy, seems to me this should be at the top of your list, but perhaps you added it to the list later, and could not reorder it?
Posted 15 years ago
vaughan.rouesnel says:
lol

+1
Posted 15 years ago
psquire says:
+1
Posted 14 years ago
gmonty says:
I started using RTM for personal use now I use it also for work tasks. Thing is the priority thing works to some extent but what I really need is manual drag and drop reordering so I can line up an exact order of what I want to tackle for any day and at any moment be able to move a task to the top of the list of they suddenly become critical etc. I presumed this was a no-brainer to add to RTM and am a little shocked it's never happened. I truly fair to see a downside. I have been recently tempted to drop RTM for things because it has the reordering feature but I am hanging in for now.
Posted 14 years ago
spw3336 says:
+1
Posted 14 years ago
jamesbishop says:
+1 This is a really big shortcoming - the only thing I don't like about RTM is this.
Posted 14 years ago
acyment says:
mmm, not going to use RTM until it has this feature...:o(
Posted 14 years ago
stelefebvre says:
ido.
Drag'n drop please
Posted 14 years ago
veevandyke says:
+1 for drag and drop reordering.
Posted 14 years ago
(closed account) says:
Not sure what all the fuss is about. I sort my "Due by Today" list by priority, and RTM automatically sorts by due date within a given priority. So I just set the due time to sort things in the order I want them.

I guess I could think up a scenario where this didn't work, or perhaps I just haven't been using RTM long enough to have discovered this need. I'm not opposed to it, just don't have the need.
Posted 14 years ago
toomuchsakeman says:
The one think I really liked about Outlook [shudder] was the drag-and-drop for categories/tags and due dates.
Posted 14 years ago
kevin_jim says:
+1
Posted 14 years ago
silentseas says:
I'm using an RTM list to organize books that I want to read, so I can look for them at the used book store. Being able to keep them in alphabetical order is crucial, so I have each item ("task") start with the author's last name. Drag and drop would help a TON with this!
Posted 14 years ago
jcheney says:
+1 for drag-n-drop please
Posted 14 years ago
finansvalp says:
+1
Posted 14 years ago
pjansen says:
+1
Posted 14 years ago
pjohnst says:
Just switching to RTM (from the simple, elegant Todoist) primarily because of the iPhone client... While RTM is great, the features I'm immediately missing is Drag-and-Drop Reordering. Implement ASAP! (people have been asking since '07!)
Posted 14 years ago
bunchbob says:
love drag and drop. with web 2.0 should be attainable. We would LOVE this RTM
Posted 14 years ago
became.dark says:
+1. I just started using RTM, and it's fantastic, but I'm seriously hurting for drag-and-drop list ordering. At this point, I'm considering switching to another task management system, solely because drag-and-drop is so important to me. Please, please, RTM, do this, and do it soon.
Posted 14 years ago
amoslemi says:
+1
Posted 14 years ago
(closed account) says:
+1 for drag and drop reordering
Posted 14 years ago
cellosubmarine says:
+1

Also, excellent job marmarou. Heh.
Posted 14 years ago
moheybee says:
Adding another vote for this. Been using Remember the Milk for a couple years now and this is the *one* feature I've always wished it had.
Posted 14 years ago
cheezepie says:
+1 - Even if it's only done on the iPhone app, I'd love to be able to reorder tasks within each priority level
Posted 14 years ago
hum3 says:
i would like to see drag and drop. just switched form Nozbe and I miss it
Posted 14 years ago
pjansen says:
RTM is a great product but I think it really needs drag and drop reordering to be complete. Google tasks has drag and drop and it really makes task ordering a lot more powerful. In reality our priorities are constantly changing and to keep a comprehensive tasks list we need a quick and easy way to reorder tasks and I think drag and drop is the best way to do this.
Posted 14 years ago
discoveringself says:
+1
In the mean time I have to be super creative on how do I name my tasks. Not only which characters but also how long the names are so it shows properly on my screen size.
Posted 14 years ago
mahbub.majumder says:
+1
Posted 14 years ago
jonathanjones says:
+1 -- it's the one feature I think is truly missing... it would make the whole experience so much better!
Posted 14 years ago
whobot says:
I'm a huge fan of RTM but I agree that drag and drop is a must-have feature.
+1
Posted 14 years ago
ashley.cottle says:
+1
Posted 14 years ago
noopyks says:
A reordering Drap'n'Drop would make remember the milk perfect.
Posted 14 years ago
gonnafly says:
+1 wish i had known before I upgraded to Pro
Posted 14 years ago
wyliej says:
+1
Posted 14 years ago
haydend says:
This is amazingly important and would benefit many users greatly. I often desire to drag and drop tasks within a day to more easily sort them in the order that they should be completed. Simply using priority to accomplish this is very arbitrary. Some times a set of tasks simply has an order that tasks need to be done in. Simply using priorities or tags to accomplish this seems less intuitive than being able to just drag and drop tasks to arrange them.

I was actually about to post something to suggest this. I believe the best way to implement this would be to have a "manual" in the "sort by" drop down that stored previous manual sorts combining them with the current active sort method.

Please RTM devs. THIS IS A MUST.
Posted 14 years ago
jnbixler says:
I'll throw my +1 on the pile, I was surprised this wasn't already implemented.
Posted 14 years ago
mpashton says:
Personally, I'm not fanatic about drag-and-drop -- almost any kind of inbuilt way to represent ordering would be better than just writing numbers at the front of the task name. But drag-and-drop would be very nice.

I don't know that drag-and-drop would be sufficient, though. Think of dragging an item from the bottom to the top of a very long list. I think a set of reordering commands or keyboard equivalents would be called for there.
Posted 14 years ago
rauros says:
+1

Admittedly, the technical details are intimidating - It would probably have to take the form of some kind of before or after, and then punt if the order was opposite in different lists.
Posted 14 years ago
joel.brenner says:
Please please please - drag and drop! Thanks!
Posted 14 years ago
sc0ttkclark says:
+1
Posted 14 years ago
thegoodreporter says:
Drag and Drop reordering of tasks and sub-tasks are woefully lacking from Remember The Milk. I have been a long time RTM user, and became a pro account holder as soon as that was an option, but not having these features has me eying Google's tasks. Please add these to RTM as your service is superior in every other way.
Posted 13 years ago
jdawgzim says:
+1
Currently the only reason I use Google Tasks more is for the drag and drop. Please implement user order!
Posted 13 years ago
mehmet says:
i really need drag and drop feature
Posted 13 years ago
simonjhamp says:
+1 for this one! Obviously would require that items are ordered by this index by default rather than alphabetically
Posted 13 years ago
(closed account) says:
+1 not having drag & drop reordering is the only thing keeping RTM from perfection in my opinion
Posted 13 years ago
irama says:
+1 Yes please
Posted 13 years ago
edubaldan says:
+1 Drag & Drop would make RTM even better!
Posted 13 years ago
sdt78 says:
+1 Its the most missing feature!
Posted 13 years ago
tatiana.colli says:
+1 the lack of this feature has caused me to look elsewhere too
Posted 13 years ago
timkor says:
+1 again... drag and drop would be most excellent.
Posted 13 years ago
russ.jackson says:
I wish this would gain traction - I really like this ability in Todoist - it's actually the main reason I moved over. But in todoist, it's a little clunky, and it could certainly be done better.

Now that I have an android phone and want to sync, I think RTM has better apps available. But being able to reorder tasks would be huge!
Posted 13 years ago
mathieu.bertrand says:
+1
Posted 13 years ago
konrad.argasinski says:
+1
Posted 13 years ago
mkpolkowski says:
+1 Most needed feature.
Posted 13 years ago
bl4444 says:
+1... I was this close to going pro until I realized I was stuck with whatever order I happened to enter items into the list.

This is productivity software. I have more productive things to be doing than trying to figure out inventive ways to force my to-do list into a clear and obvious order of attack.

A system like this needs to be flexible, adaptable, and responsive. It's supposed to help me get my chores done, not become a chore in and of itself.

Fix it.
Posted 13 years ago
xxdesmus says:
+1
Posted 13 years ago
williamsmith says:
+1!
Posted 13 years ago
fclaros says:
+1
Posted 13 years ago
fclaros says:
+1
Posted 13 years ago
calvingray says:
+1
Posted 12 years ago
aefox says:
+1
Posted 12 years ago
karolt says:
+1
still...
Posted 12 years ago
(closed account) says:
+1 for drag and drop reordering. Management team for remember the milk are you listening? *considers loooking at alternatives*
Posted 12 years ago
rwl4 says:
+1. This is a no brainer that every task app I've ever used had. I write software and being able to outline my tasks for the day is huge and not having this feature this makes RTM not work for me.
Posted 12 years ago
jonatumd says:
+1
Posted 12 years ago
amirmasoudabdol says:
+1
Posted 12 years ago
simon.johnstone says:
Please Pleas Please
Posted 12 years ago
simon.johnstone says:
+1
Posted 12 years ago
belipman says:
+1
Posted 12 years ago
tondeaf says:
+1
Posted 12 years ago
mandrade says:
Drag and drop reordering of tasks is the feature most clearly lacking from RTM. It's an absolute priority to enhance the system. I suggest that the button "Sort By" on the top of the lists should include a fourth option, something like "Manual Ordering" or "Manual Sorting", to enable the drag and drop function.
Posted 12 years ago
aranel616 says:
I don't know what I think of this exactly, but the last comment made my mandrake makes me think a little better of this. If you could choose to sort manually, then drag and drop would be a great feature, but I also like sorting by due date or priority. But some people here are right, sometimes you want them ordered not by priority, but in what order you are going to work on the tasks today.

So I'm voting for this one with the requirement that it not interfere with other sorting methods, but be done by manual sort.
Posted 12 years ago
(closed account) says:
I'm with mandrade on this one - ability to specify manual sorting, then drag to reorder.

Would lend itself well to standard iPhone interface, also.
Posted 12 years ago
mehtaj says:
+1

although drag and drop would be easiest, simply the ability to rearrange tasks other than by name/priority/due date would be great
Posted 12 years ago
(closed account) says:
+1
Posted 12 years ago
diddigol says:
+1
Posted 12 years ago
greg.huels says:
+1
Posted 12 years ago
boyd983 says:
This has been my number one complaint with RTM. My day constantly changes and I rearrange where I am going to go next or what I am going to do. I tried renaming my tasks to do this but it sucked. I keep looking at other programs or apps to see if I want to make a switch but do love RTM. I would even be okay with it if you had to have some tasks in a special smartlist to be able to use this feature on them.
Please add a manual sort order to lists.
Posted 12 years ago
admirau says:
+1

Posted 12 years ago
offspring2099 says:
+1 This is essential.
Posted 12 years ago
atunesmith says:
Not like there isn't enough input - but I like the D&D reordering too. One other thought on "processing the inbox to zero". Instead of the "more actions" drop down list to assign an inbox task to a list, you should be able to simply drag the inbox item onto one of the lists shown at the left of the screen. (or anywhere close on the page). Many get 100+ emails/day in a corporate environment so a simple D&D for any processing step saves considerable time. I know RTM is listening and they referred me to this thread. Hope they implement soon, because when you type like you are using your elbows as I do, the simpler/the better.
Posted 12 years ago
lindajeanne says:
Drag-and-drop re-ordering is very useful when the planned order of task completion is likely to change during the day --

-- much easier than trying to "fudge" the order by futzing around re-setting priorities and/or tags to make them match work-order as others have suggested. (As has been mentioned, one doesn't always have the luxury of working on things in exact priority order). Manual ordering with a drag-and-drop option would be a welcome addtion.
Posted 12 years ago
meezcore says:
A visual overview where I can re-order my tasks as I see fit, is something I would like.
Posted 12 years ago
xtoq says:
I agree that drag and drop is great, but when there are Greasemonkey scripts and addons that do it for you, I don't think that RTM needs to add the feature at the present time. I prefer A Bit Better RTM, which enhances RTM in the following ways:
- display list tabs to the left
- drag-and-drop list re-ordering
- drag-and-drop move tasks between lists
- display tasks count
- resizable task list
- hide useless lists (available through Settings -> Lists)
- unique URL for lists and tasks
- configurations section is on the Remember the Milk Settings
page, under the A Bit Better RTM tab

A Bit Better RTM for FF: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/a-bit-better-rtm/
A Bit Better RTM for Chrome: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/glcdefibajbglmeelclffdbakgjjjopc
A Bit Better RTM for Greasemonkey: http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/32518

You can also search for Remember the Milk at userscripts.org and find other helpful bits of code that make it that much better.
Posted 12 years ago
amin.sushant says:
+1 for drag-n-drop - sometimes the order of small tasks is required due to dependencies between them. Ive been setting times for each just to get them in order, but doing that sucks.
Posted 12 years ago
wmosher says:
+100
Looks like a great tool that I'm very interested in using. Unfortunately I can't until this kind of option is available.
Posted 12 years ago
edanm says:
Drag and drop reordering is definitely an important feature.
+1 :)
Posted 12 years ago
deverard says:
Constantly find myself reaching for pen and paper to reorder my task list due to poor handling of this in RTM, please can we see this feature soon? Until then, looking into todoist as an alternative...
Posted 12 years ago
karmayogin says:
+1
Please please please implement this!! (drag-n-drop reordering of tasks)
Posted 12 years ago
stevearends says:
Just started using this morning. Since there is NO manual reordering of tasks I am ditching RTM. So sad, looked good, but this is a key feature
Posted 12 years ago
asnih says:
I am a new Pro user of RTM.

I also vote for drag and drop feature (reordering) in the next update of RTM. It is much easier than setting priorities. Overall, RTM is a great software. Keep up the good work and do seriously consider drag and drop.
Posted 12 years ago
dannyking says:
+1 This is really important for me
Posted 12 years ago
jaywiese says:
+1 million- this is the single most important missing feature for me!
Posted 12 years ago
bernie.blakeney says:
+1. I won't be using RTM without it.
Posted 12 years ago
tondeaf says:
+1 Leaving now.
Posted 12 years ago
(closed account) says:
I would particularly like to see this feature added to the iPad RTM app. The current priority options are of limited use and particularly time consuming for regular users of the iPad app (and likely on other platforms too).

Drag and drop reordering is essential. It would have to be my number one feature request. I've been dying to submit this feature for several months but only got around to it now. So glad to see so many others have the same issue.
Posted 12 years ago
mkgold says:
Please, please, please implement this as soon as possible.
Posted 12 years ago
srinigops says:
yes .. I would love to see this feature of RTM. Do make it possible. :)
Posted 12 years ago
tstrickland14 says:
+2 Please add drag and drop reordering. This app has a lot of plusses, but trying to prioritize the day is a hassle with a long list.
Posted 12 years ago
(closed account) says:
+1. I've kinda been going crazy without the ability to manually drag and drop sort. It's why I don't have a pro membership,and why I am not using RTM For most of my tasks. PLEEEEEAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSE add this essential feature!!
Posted 12 years ago
ehead says:
One more yes vote!
Posted 12 years ago
di_su93 says:
+1! really needs it
Posted 12 years ago
(closed account) says:
+1! I'm thinking about leaving RTM because this essential function is missing. Please add this.
Posted 12 years ago
ahmedbm says:
+1 would love this! :)
Posted 12 years ago
keith.graham says:
+1 Drag and drop is essential. I am surprised that it wasn't in the initial design.
Posted 12 years ago
henkjanborghuis says:
Also really in favor of drag and drop.

2 days max development time, so let's do this.
Posted 12 years ago
waireka says:
+1 would make RTM even better
Posted 12 years ago
vamshikk says:
I don't agree with the analysis here. Drag and drop unnecessarily complicates things...creates a way to waste more time.

For me, I just categorize my tasks into 4 blocks/priorities - 1, 2, 3, 0 - based on priorities. Pretty simple :)
Posted 12 years ago
alan.james.wright says:
+1. Drag and drop is what is most missing from RtM. I am also considering leaving unless this feature can be added, as i really need it to help structure tasks into ordered lists quickly.
Posted 12 years ago
uramsing says:
In terms of design towards the factual/emotionally pleasing order, I suggest ... a view, not a new list. Like a set of glasses I can superimpose on any other list, modifying whatever order that list already lives by. If there is a sort order, it should be shown; if not the list stays as-is.
Posted 12 years ago
asnih says:
I am still waiting for the "drag and drop reordering" feature. In the recent RTM upgrade, this feature was not included despite request by many existing users.

Can the Developer seriously consider this request instead of advising users to put up a wish list. Based on the number of users voted, this is a REQUIRED feature as it makes the software more user friendly in task management.

Posted 12 years ago
amardip.sekhon says:
+1. I'm a new user coming from Google tasks and this was one of the things that I loved about Google tasks. They also have a very simplistic interface but they allow you to sort by "My order". I would love to see that here.
Posted 12 years ago
shekala says:
This is truly a must have feature, and basic to all other task programs I am aware of. This was first requested over 3 years ago, and with so much support behind it, would sure be nice to see it happen.
Posted 12 years ago
awan says:
I would love to see drag and re-order feature for each list and smart list. I like the fact that RTM is fast on web and iOS and would like to see this feature.
Posted 12 years ago
girlwhopanics says:
Really RTM? Four years?! I'm a recent convert, and I NEED to be able to reorder my tasks, I'm 160 tasks in, wasting minutes searching for what is to be done next! I was ready to go pro for the year until I discovered this fatal flaw. And in the four years users have been clamoring, there's not even a hint of adding this? Yikes.
Posted 12 years ago
girlwhopanics says:
So +1
Posted 12 years ago
celikcan says:
How has this been not implemented in 4 years??? It's so necessary. We need to be able to reorder tasks and more importantly the lists as we like via drag-n-drop! Come on RTM!!
Posted 12 years ago
j.starke says:
+1
Posted 12 years ago
superdidounet says:
Yes ! Me too !!!
Posted 12 years ago
delta.echo says:
I'd consider upgrading to Pro for Drag & Drop Reordering - am looking at other such options at the moment - would hate to have to leave RTM - but this is SOOO overdue
Posted 12 years ago
fmahnke says:
+1
Posted 12 years ago
vivekgpt25 says:
new user, i love RTM, but drag and drop is a necessary improvmenet, +2!
Posted 12 years ago
raiko says:
I take the same view as delta.echo!
Posted 12 years ago
darrenjknight says:
I'm just trying RTM out (I normally use Gqueues) and I'm so surprised you don't have this feature already!!
Posted 12 years ago
sn3akyp3t3 says:
I wanted to do this, but found it didn't work so looked up feature request and here it is! Really sought after feature from the looks of it! Got my vote!
Posted 12 years ago
graham.poulter says:
Be careful what you wish for. I think a lot of people will end up spending time re-ordering tasks instead of doing one. I don't think its just me.
Posted 12 years ago
rickdmax says:
Would like to see this, too!
Posted 12 years ago
merovin13 says:
Please! I am numbering my daily tasks now, to get them in the right order. If I add one I have to renumber them. Manual reordering would be a HUGE time saver.
Posted 12 years ago
akinuu says:
+ 1 for this. I handle 6+ lists on hourly bases and currently can't do that with RTM due to this lack.
Posted 12 years ago
ing.sim says:
Drag and drop tasks will be a great innovation
Posted 12 years ago
viewer says:
I also echo delta.echo's sentiments.
Posted 12 years ago
zamboni says:
+1
Posted 12 years ago
martin.bichsel says:
I would very much appreciate a way to define my personal ordering by just moving tasks up and down by drag and drop without having to set priorities. I have got used to this way of interaction at Basecamp and it is really intuitive and powerful.

I usually have a good feeling that task A is more urgent than task B and that task B is more urgent than task C. Assigning priorities 1,2, and 3 is too rigid, however. If a new task D comes in that is more urgent than task A or a customer asks me to increase the priority of task C, I have to fiddle around with the priorities of several tasks. Assigning dates also doesn't solve the problem because I often don't know exactly how long a task will take and because I would like to reserve the date information for real due dates. I have a strong feeling that many users would prefer a simple manual sorting to assigning priorities.
Posted 12 years ago
(closed account) says:
Priorities for me are something flexible too. I'd prefer having a cool-to-hot slider rather than rigid numbers. It's the same as having variator rather than a manual gearbox.

So I think drag-n-drop will be very easy to implement along with such thing.
Posted 12 years ago
(closed account) says:
drag& drop YES -- PLEASE -- SOON!!!
Posted 12 years ago
rishikeshkankal says:
+1
Posted 12 years ago
jmshrrsn says:
Ordering is important. I vote for drag and drop SOON please.

I have GTD project lists but the tasks they contain are from a brainstorm, created at random, not in any order or with any priority.

Some of my project lists have 10+ tasks, so even number 001, 002, 003 etc doesn't work because 010 and 011 etc appear before 001!!

Just fixing that would help, so I can sort according to task name and have my tasks in some semblance of logical order.

I don't want to waste my time looking through tasks trying to find what should be my next action.

BTW - this thread has been going on for four years - if you don't plan to ever implement a drag and drop feature, just tell us...

Otherwise we might have to look elsewhere, which would be a shame cause RTM rocks!
Posted 12 years ago
felibb says:
What, still no manual sort? Since 2007? I suppose it'll never happen then. +1 though.
Posted 12 years ago
queegvard says:
However futile it may be, +1

I love RTM, but I really need to be able to reorder all the tasks how I see fit. That's the feature that is keeping me searching elsewhere instead of buying here
Posted 12 years ago
jpinella says:
One more vote for drag and drop reordering. I would buy RTM if it had this feature.
Posted 12 years ago
markus.jung says:
+2 :-)
Posted 12 years ago
rader5 says:
+62.32
Posted 12 years ago
beth.rein says:
Drag and drop would be awesome! One of the biggest things I use RTM for is grocery shopping. It would be so nice to be able to drag and drop my grocery items in the order that they are in the store. I currently do this by putting an aisle number in front of each item so problem is solved, however, drag and drop would make life even easier!
Posted 12 years ago
rynooo says:
+1
Posted 12 years ago
rgphilpott says:
Yes, please implement this (or tell us why it's not possible, given that this post has been going for so long).

Actually, although drag-drop would be the nicest way of doing it, the pressing need is for some way to explicitly order tasks -- if that has to be by numbering or adding additional priorities, then that would be better than nothing ...
Posted 12 years ago
(closed account) says:
I really need to be able to build an ordered list and keep that list as a 'master'. I then would need to make a copy of that list and check off the tasks as I complete them.

I'm a web designer, so I'm thinking that I can build and maintain a master list of tasks that need to be done pre-launch, then copy that list for each project that I work on. see what I mean?
Posted 12 years ago
brent.peters says:
+1, this needs to happen
Posted 11 years ago
kenethom says:
+1
Posted 11 years ago
houstonitzen says:
+1. I frequently have a considerable number of things on a weekend to-do list and I'd like to order them (and be able to reorder easily)
Posted 11 years ago
9thbit says:
My lists have gotten so long it is hard to see what I need to get done first. Drag and drop re-ordering is a badly needed feature.
Posted 11 years ago
danjgreen says:
ANY way to prioritize an undifferentiated list of 400+ tasks -- without requiring us to type prefixes to task descriptions and use the "sort" feature, and without diluting and polluting the tag cloud -- would be extremely helpful. There has to be a very simple way to reorder tasks on a daily basis, through drag and drop, numbering, something....anything. Please.
Posted 11 years ago
patrick.enlow says:
I agree with dgreenhbs99 +1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1 :)
Posted 11 years ago
draco says:
I miss only two features in RTM. This is absolute top priority.
And it is not adding any unusual complexity on user side.

Please make it reality!
Posted 11 years ago
nickleics says:
+1
Posted 11 years ago
orbitermann says:
Need this! +1
Posted 11 years ago
relevart says:
This is absolutaly imporntant, and if you implement this, priorites can simply be forgotten :)
Posted 11 years ago
indiggio says:
+1 for this feature!
Posted 11 years ago
sophie.campagne says:
I'm a daily (hourly?) user of RTM and have been a user for years. It is my most used app/site on the iPhone, iPad and Mac and I love it. It pains me, however, that this request to reorder tasks by dragging and dropping was raised 4 years ago and has still not been addressed. I spend an inordinate amount of time each day numbering tasks so that they appear in the order in which I want to complete them in the day. Try updating a list that way. Way. Too. Many. Clicks. Please RTM, make this change. At 198 replies to this thread, clearly, your users are asking for you to address this need.
Posted 11 years ago
dbosom says:
+1
Posted 11 years ago
willypietersz says:
+1
Posted 11 years ago
aplex says:
+1, I would like to see at least being able to "sort within priorities" so that if I have a list set to sort by priority, then I can define what the "most important" item is by ranking them in order within a priority. This will allow me to work through the highest priority items in the correct order when you have more than one high priority item.
Posted 11 years ago
xxvii.x says:
Just came back after a few years to see if this was implemented yet. Nope. Sigh. This is the one nice thing about Google Tasks.
Posted 11 years ago
david_spirito says:
WHY IS THIS NOT DONE YET?!?!?!? GET MY ANGRY EYES! seriously, please :)
Posted 11 years ago
michael.popovici says:
Bump! +1
Posted 11 years ago
meimadim says:
+1. RTM doesn't work for me if I can´t control the order inside each priority, depending on what I want to do first.........
Posted 11 years ago
iggyslap says:
Please make this happen, i think this is biggest feature that is missing!
Thanks!
Posted 11 years ago
jrentergent says:
yes please!
Posted 11 years ago
ebnar says:
+1 million
Posted 11 years ago
meghanclare says:
Wow. Three years and nothing.

This would indeed be way faster and less time-consuming than, as some have suggested, assigning a time to the due date so tasks order themselves by date. If something becomes more important, you have to go in and change all the times. Boo!

If this hasn't been done because RTM is afraid of "angering" some customers I'd love to read the argument against drag n drop. If you don't want to use it, don't.
Posted 11 years ago
matmalone says:
+1

I love RTM but there are some lists that need precise ordering. So those lists live in Trello now.
Posted 11 years ago
michael.vorburger says:
+1... please? ;)
Posted 11 years ago
sigurhel says:
+1
Posted 11 years ago
phil.imposter says:
Agreed. Drag to reorder tasks PLEASE
Posted 11 years ago
duncwork says:
I was a Pro user of RTM and sadly moved my daily stuff to google tasks because of two simple differences that are much faster to use : they are sub-tasks and manual ordering. I still use Gtasks as a main tool because of this. I have RTM for slow project-based lists and will only return to full use if these two things are brought in. As you are announcing a new wave of development, I hope you will look at gtasks and consider why something so simple, compared to RTM, is in fact easier to use. There is a free mobile app which helps, but I would go Pro again if the functionality was at least matched. good luck with the changes.
Posted 11 years ago
(closed account) says:
yes
Posted 11 years ago
timestride says:
+1!
Posted 11 years ago
candera says:
+1
Posted 11 years ago
lillgu says:
+1!

Please, please, pretty please!! We've waited patiently. (This post was started five years ago!)
Posted 11 years ago
(closed account) says:
+1
Posted 11 years ago
winhamwr says:
+1
Posted 11 years ago
(closed account) says:
Would love to be able to drag and drop tasks in both the web client, as well as mobile. In mobile, too many steps are required to postpone a task one or more days and I'd love the option of just dragging a task to a new date.
Posted 11 years ago
jon.r.rose says:
I just submitted a new idea for this very same functionality. Moving tasks up and down in a list is surprisingly not available. As iamscottiew mentioned, this feature would be great to have on both the web and mobile platform.
Posted 11 years ago
dean.jerkovich says:
+1
Posted 11 years ago
gregre07 says:
+2
Posted 11 years ago
stuart.collins says:
+1
Posted 11 years ago
user34217489302743 says:
Drag & Drop is on the very top of my list for features I would like to see implemented. The current priority system is excellent, but I would like to be able to rearrange my "no-priority" tasks.
+1
Posted 11 years ago
bigmikestudios says:
Me too! I love this app like crazy - but not being able to order list is a real drag. Infinite priorities would be a fine stop-gap, but drag and drop is what I really want.

+1!
Posted 11 years ago
papzadsl says:
Voted, +1.
Posted 11 years ago
alextsr says:
That would be something really good to have.
Manually sorting tasks helps reviewing a list and also kind of replaces dependencies too.
Posted 11 years ago
ldeviveiros says:
+1
Posted 11 years ago
muliady.hartono says:
The manual re-order should stay the same until the user manually reorder it again. The manual re-order should apply to both "Lists", sub-list (a separate requested feature), "Tasks", and sub-tasks (another separate requested feature). In the task view, there should be a new "Sort by" "Order" in addition to the current ones i.e. "Priority", "Due Date", "Task Name".
Posted 11 years ago
galeksic says:
+1
Posted 10 years ago
nampp says:
+1
Posted 10 years ago
alfred74new says:
I have to say that I think it would be a great addition to the system.
Posted 10 years ago
(closed account) says:
+1
Posted 10 years ago
envoy510 says:
+1

This is an essential feature. Right now, the only way to do it is an incredible hack: sort by name and prefix each task with a letter (AA, AB, AC, B, CA, CB, D, ...). I use double letters so I can more easily insert tasks at the end of a logical unit.
Posted 10 years ago
imjwalsh says:
I agree. I just assumed I would be able to order my lists around in a seemingly arbitrary way. To me this is actually a feature very much at the core of the service. Remember the Milk implies that you would be creating shopping lists with it. For me I brain dump all the items that I need at the store, (sometimes over a few days) and then before I actually go shopping I move the items around in the order I’ll find them in the store.

Personally I like the Netflix interface for ordering. There is a move to top button, you can number the list, and you can also drag and drop items to reorder. If you change a number of an item the list will automatically get renumbered for you so you do not have to worry about renumbering the entire list manually.

I agree with some other posting that this should just be another way of sorting a list. You can sort by user order (this numbered/drag-drop method), dates, priority, and name. Ideally I would like to be able to apply multiple sort criteria (1st sort by priority, then within priority 1, allow me to move items up and down).
Posted 10 years ago
rraider95 says:
Please implement! I would pay for a super deluxe pro version if this feature was in it.
Posted 10 years ago
jeff.bellune says:
+1 from me.
It is an essential way to sort Smart Lists!
Posted 10 years ago
(closed account) says:
+1
Posted 10 years ago
nicolascarre says:
+1
Posted 10 years ago
lotstodo says:
I agree. Drag & drop would be great. Each day I'd like to quickly put my top 15 tasks in the order in which I would like to complete them. Right now I use the dates from the prior month to order things. It is September now, but I make my first task due August 1, my second task August 2, etc. It is cumbersome, but I have not found anything that works better for me yet.
Posted 10 years ago
ubaldo.passamonti says:
+1
Posted 10 years ago
(closed account) says:
+1
Posted 10 years ago
agr.prashant says:
+1
Posted 10 years ago
gegillo says:
+1
Posted 10 years ago
edzf says:
+1
Posted 10 years ago
coopznz says:
+1
Posted 10 years ago
griffits says:
+1 for me too please. It's the thing I most need from a to do.
Posted 10 years ago
aster69 says:
+1
Cannot agree more.
Posted 10 years ago
wojciechowskir says:
+1
Plus it would be great to be able to plan your tasks that way. See tasks without due date and be able to drag them to a specific date area.
Posted 10 years ago
amamas says:
+1
And I would switch immediately to the pro version.
... and let's start with the iPad support first :-)
Posted 10 years ago
rozziecole says:
The underlying issue is that the tasks within a priority level HAVE an order that the user can control. Drag and drop would be great of course but the fundamental issue is that there be some way to set an order. The time management discipline I learned 20 years ago is based on the concept of putting your tasks in priority order. RTM leans too heavily on assigning dates. Some people work that way, but a lot of us don't. If I don't get it done today, the priority ranking should remain the same tomorrow.
Posted 10 years ago
bomdemais says:
+a billion
Posted 10 years ago
nicki.dennis says:
and me - drag and drop to reorder in todays list....surely you have enough votes by now?
Posted 10 years ago
bebrown99 says:
+1
This must be done.
Posted 10 years ago
nicolascarre says:
+1
I can eft RTM for another tool to get this feature.
Posted 9 years ago
jowebbb says:
+1 and pretty please. I know it's not the easiest thing to implement, by any stretch, but it is a must have for lots of folk. Any word of if or when there might be a chance of this?
Posted 8 years ago
gfd098 says:
Please add task reordering. Please!
Posted 8 years ago
jimcolliernb says:
I like reordering as well, please. Today, I have 8 items to accomplish at lunch. Errands, etc. It's nice to be able to order them in the order they need to be accomplished. Adding excessive priorities doesn't seem to be the answer. MS One Note is a good example of of a solid reordering UI on a to list.
Posted 8 years ago
paulmyoung says:
Considering that this thread has over 200 entries stretching back SIX YEARS, one has to wonder if anyone at RTM even cares what their users want.
Posted 8 years ago
jrrt says:
BOB THE MONKEY!!!! WAKE UP!!! I *KNOW* THAT YOU CARE!!!

Considering that this thread has over 200 entries stretching back SIX YEARS, one has to wonder if anyone at RTM even cares what their users want.
Posted 8 years ago
brice.carbonel says:
Hey Bob similar requirement here : notes reordering using drap/drop and keyboard shortcuts + notes order made persistent across sessions
Posted 8 years ago
libkat says:
+1 +1 +1 ...
Posted 8 years ago
ramzo19 says:
+1 I use both RTM and Wunderlist and that is one of the most glaring features that RTM lacks but Wunderlist has.
Posted 8 years ago
dave.liao says:
Glad RTM has manual task reordering now - now the mobile app needs to support it!
Posted 8 years ago
susanpraver says:
Need to be able to move around task priorities throughout the day with a simple drag and drop or it just does not work for me.
Posted 7 years ago
xdhmoore says:
+1 mobile support :)
Posted 7 years ago
rozziecole says:
So Bob gave us drag and drop, which is something. But it's too cumbersome to drag for large lists, and the mouse control has to be very careful, try using drag and drop on a laptop on the Acela. SO: (1) Optionally expose underlying number rankings from 1 to 100 (or whatever) so it's easy to quickly reorder a large list of items. (Or equivalently, simply allow priorities to range from 1-100 instead of 1-3) (keep drag and drop for those who like it) (2) Implement it in the phone versions. There is not much point in an ordering scheme that works in one interface and not another.
Posted 7 years ago
You cannot comment on this idea as it is locked.