Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

Ability to set due date to 'never'

ftelegdy says:
It'd be great to be able to change the due date of something back to "never." Occassionaly, tasks no longer need to be due at all.

For instance, if somebody asks me to do something for a presentation they're giving tomorrow, I'll put a due date of "tomorrow." But then, the person decides they don't need what they asked me to do. However, instead of getting rid of the task, I think that their idea was a good one and I want to implement it at my leisure. In that case, I'd like to change the due date back to "never."
Posted at 9:17pm on November 4, 2005
Launched
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
You can now type 'never' or 'whenever' (thanks for that suggestion, jmc!). Both mean the same thing, in that you don't have a due date set.
Posted 18 years ago
You should be able to just remove the due date (i.e. set it to blank) and that will change it back to 'never'.

We'll fix so it accepts the word 'never' as well.
Posted 18 years ago
ftelegdy says:
Gotcha! That worked. But "never" would be nice too. :)
Posted 18 years ago
jmc says:
I would think that "whenever" is more accurate than "never" ... the point being we want to do this thing (eg, see a certain film or play) but we don't mind when.
Posted 18 years ago
jmc says:
I would think that "whenever" is more accurate than "never" ... the point being we want to do this thing (eg, see a certain film or play) but we don't mind when.
Posted 18 years ago
jmc says:
(Apologies for double post; browser (Opera 8.01) seemed not to have completed the posting operation.)
Posted 18 years ago
jmc says:
Thanks, Emily.

Just two things: I can enter 'whenever' but it then appears as 'never' ... which wasn't quite what I imagined would happen.

And the list of allowed terms at http://www.rememberthemilk.com/help/answers/basics/dateformat.rtm doesn't list either 'never' or 'whenever'.
Posted 18 years ago
jmc,

Setting it to blank, 'never', or 'whenever' all mean the same thing -- that there is no due date set. Right now when there is no due date set, it will display as 'never', although I guess we could consider making this customizable in the future.

I'll fix up the help page on date formats -- thanks for pointing that out!
Posted 18 years ago
daven says:
I was going to post a new topic but I found this one. :)

I'm using RTM in a getting things done, David Allen, sort of way. I find that RTM works brilliantly for this. Most of my tasks however have an undetermined time for completion, as Allen suggests, because it's best to only specify due dates for things that really really have due dates, not just "I would like it done by...".

I would much prefer the language or "undetermined" or "whenever" where due dates are displayed. "Never" seems to have a rather negative tone to it, like I'll never get things done. Don't worry though, I won't blame RTM for my lack of productivity. :)

dave
Posted 15 years ago
You cannot comment on this idea as it is locked.