Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

Search function

jsteehl says:
I must be missing something because that would be considered core (or as least close to core) functionality.

Is there a search function? If not will there be?

Posted at 4:18pm on October 31, 2005
Launched
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
Search is now available (with an advanced version too).

imsvru, I hope we've made your life complete :)
Posted 18 years ago
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
It's on our to-do list :)
Posted 18 years ago
ranbarton Power Poster says:
Good news, Emily. Search would be very handy
Posted 18 years ago
jiri.fencl says:
i'm in for search function too ;-)
Posted 18 years ago
elbaso says:
It'd be great if notes attached to tasks are included in the search.
Posted 18 years ago
imsvru says:
YES, PLEASE, SEARCH NOW! VERY NEXT FEATURE!

remember the milk is the closest thing i have ever seen to the be-all-and-end-all of instant-input-and-retrieval online task management. this system is already really robust so far, with a simple interface - it's really impressive and you should be proud. i love being able to just quickly throw something in with a keyword [call fred, buy milk, find cat, etc] and not have to think about the filing category [bills] or venue [@computer, al la GTD] when i do it or when i need it. when it's time to get a quick overview of everything i need to buy, everyone i need to call or everything i need to find, i want to just be able to enter that keyword and have that list come up.

tagging and searching eliminates the need to sort stuff into folders like outlook wants you to [which folder to choose? bah!] and also eliminates david allen's GTD approach to presort by venue [@office, @home]. if i want to tell myself that i want to do something, i can just put the keywords right into the task, like call fred @ office, buy milk @ target, etc.

that being said, i think that the only thing holding this thing back from exploding as a must-have killer app is the search function. to be able to type the word "buy" as a keyword and have every item with that word in it come up so i can print a list before i go to the store would put this over the top.

i like backpack a lot, but i think the real model to follow here is gmail. even when you don't use gmail's powerful label function [tagging], you can still just use their search box. type in the person or the keyword or whatever and it's all there. gmail is the model to follow, i think, for dumb-easy instant input and retrieval.

DON'T MAKE ME THINK, JUST LET ME SEARCH! i am waiting for a searchable online task manager to make my life complete! can you guys do that? ;-D

thanks for an exquisite programming job and keep up the good work...
Posted 18 years ago
ranbarton Power Poster says:
Here's another vote for using Gmail and its labels (tags) as the model to follow for easy, powerful, and subtle organization.
Posted 18 years ago
You cannot comment on this idea as it is locked.