Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

Ability to edit completed tasks

vince.luff says:
I'd like to change the date the task was completed. I see this has been requested a few times. Any plans for this?
Posted at 3:29pm on June 30, 2007
(closed account) says:
I would like this to happen, too. It would really help. Please consider this (not that you aren't already). Thanks.
Posted 16 years ago
jsellen says:
I agree. If I forget to check a recurring task off the day that I do it, then the recurrance is thrown off.

Also, I'd like to use the 'completed' for some simple auditing/review to make sure I'm taking care of things often enough. So I'd like to be able to accurately record when things were done.

Thanks.
Posted 16 years ago
prasad.kaladi says:
I would also appreciate such feature, which has been requested in the past too. Hope this facility shall be included soon, so that users can make full utilization.
Posted 16 years ago
jaedi says:
This is important for any SmartLists associated with pending tasks and reporting.

For example, I mark tasks that are pending (waiting for somebody else to do something, or simply waiting confirmation) with the tag @@pending. My SmartLists normally filter out these tasks (I have another "Pending" list to review these tasks from time to time).

I mark as completed the pending tasks for which I have completed all MY actions, however, they retain the @@pending tag. I would like to be able to modify the tags of completed tasks if necessary. It would be useful for RTM to allow other task details to be modified also i.e. renaming or adding a note to a completed task when removing a @@pending tag to record confirmation details. I prefer not to "uncomplete" the task because I need correct completion dates for reporting.

Perhaps editing completed tasks should be off by default but with an "Edit completed tasks" checkbox option in "Settings".
Posted 16 years ago
raymond.bergmark Power Poster says:
[Hint to Emily/Omar/Bob] If it was possible to edit completed tasks without uncompleting them first much would be won ;-)
Posted 16 years ago
nah.why says:
i uncomplete-edit-complete tasks all the time. Mostly because i complete them from google calendar, which doesnt have notes. So later i go back to the rtm website and add notes about how they got completed.

But there are other scenarios: "Email bill asking about promotion" -> complete -> edit notes "he said no :("

BTW, browsing this "Ideas" section, i can't help but feel like we sound a bit too greedy and entitled for users of a free service that we all basically love. Sorry. And thanks.

Posted 16 years ago
bzpilman says:
Definitely, this is a must-have. I see no reason for not being allowed, seems counter-intuitive, and I long for it to change in this aspect.
Posted 16 years ago
ojcit says:
Maybe it doesn't need to be on by default, but it should definitely be allowed. Seeing what you did is way more fun seeing what you need to do. It should have all the same functionality.
Posted 16 years ago
nah.why says:
Merry Christmas from RTM (or so it appears)

Apparently this is now done. I just added a note to a completed task.

...and to all, a good night.
Posted 16 years ago
nah.why says:
upon further investigation:

you CAN add notes, now, to completed tasks

but you can NOT edit other fields, like list, tag, location, url.
Posted 16 years ago
scottish says:
Hi,

I'm new to Remember the Milk and I can't find a way to edit the completion date of a task. I found this thread, but there's been no confirmation that this feature has been added. Have I overlooked anything, or is there still no way to change the completion date?

Thanks,
Scott
Posted 15 years ago
raymond.bergmark Power Poster says:
You can un-complete and then complete it to move the completion date to today, that's it.
Posted 15 years ago
hendie says:
does the rtm team monitor these entries? i would really also like to be able to edit the completed date!
Posted 15 years ago
lgutentag says:
+1 - I often mark completed tasks in batches, and the completion dates are meaningless unless they are close to the actual time of completion.

Also, many of my tasks are "checklist" tasks that should be marked completed, but don't need completion dates (buy bread, buy milk, buy cereal in a "Supermarket" list).
Posted 15 years ago
kenshin122 says:
+1 - I sometimes forget to check off tasks once they're complete until days later. It'd be great to be able to edit the complete date so I can use it as reference/proof of when something was done! THANKS :)
Posted 15 years ago
dwr816 says:
Yes, sometimes I've needed to modify completed tasks for various reasons. It would be great to be able to do this without having to uncomplete then change then complete again (and thus lose original completion date).
Posted 15 years ago
theterran says:
Currently (20090205) we can move completed tasks to other lists and add notes to completed tasks, but cannot change the complete date, add or change tags, or set the location.

My organization within RTM relies on tags and locations, and I share tasks with my team. They often mark shared tasks as complete before I can set the tags and location for those tasks. If I uncomplete tasks to set attributes, then mark them complete again, the complete date changes to the current date. It would be much more useful to be able to change tags and location for completed tasks.

Remember The Milk team, please make this possible! I do love the app and use it extensively. This would bring RTM one big step closer to perfection.

Thank you!
Posted 15 years ago
peter.dobson says:
I too would really like to be able to edit the complete date of a task.

I'm gonna try to use a workaround: On tasks where the completion time is significantly different from the time I clicked COMPLETE, I put the date and time in front of the Task Name, then when I read the completed report I'm aware what's going on.
Posted 14 years ago
wohler says:
+1

I just started using RTM and maintain shopping lists, movie lists, wine and restaurant lists, etc. so I have a *lot* of completed tasks. While I was finding my way, I needed to edit 100s of completed tasks very often (tags, priorities, etc.).

I worked around this by creating a temporary list and:

1. Select all.
2. Move to temporary list.
3. Select temporary list.
4. Select all.
5. Press Uncomplete button.
6. Select Uncomplete link.
7. Select all.
8. Edit.
9. Press Complete button.
10. Select Complete link.
11. Select all.
12. Move to original list.

If we can edit completed tasks, editing them would only take 2 steps (#7, #8) instead of 12 (and that's assuming you already have a temporary list set up).

Thanks!
Posted 14 years ago
crodrigocs says:
+1
Posted 12 years ago
rashley03 says:
Would love an official comment on this.
Posted 11 years ago
tveulemans says:
+1
Posted 11 years ago
kenpimentel says:
Need to multi-edit completed tasks
Posted 11 years ago
pmreins says:
So searching for help, I found this old discussion string. Do I understand that there still is no way of editing the completed date of a task? I'd like to have the ability to edit the date to show when I actually performed the task, not just when I remembered to check it off the list.
Posted 8 years ago
svelteness says:
First suggested eight years ago and still not implemented? Is there any reasoning for this?
Posted 7 years ago
amra84 says:
Please please please add the functionality to alter COMPLETED DATE of a task.
Some comments here are years old..
Does anyone monitor all the posts here?
Posted 7 years ago
fran.hare says:
I need a way to pick the date a task was completed. A drop down box with a pick a date calendar, would be great.
Posted 7 years ago
mammagetsitdone says:
I'm going back to Microsoft Outlook Tasks because of this and some other issues/problems.
Posted 3 years ago