Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

Show the time estimate in the task list

gabriela.gibson says:
I'd like to see the time estimated next to the individual tasks (not only the date) and also the time that has already been spent on completing tasks in the list for the day, that I get when I search for 'today'.

It would very much help me pace myself and also help me not to overwork -- tho I was actually initially looking for all this in the Overview page for 'today', hoping that I can use settings to customize what I can see/do there.

Another thing I would find useful if I could use 't' to mean 'today' in the date box.
Posted at 4:39pm on June 20, 2007
mmartel says:
+1

I would LOVE the idea of displaying the time required for each task in addition to the due date.

I'm also struggling to avoid overcommitting and being able to see due dates and time estimates will help tremendously.
Posted 16 years ago
mmartel says:
Also, it would be great if somewhere, as I select multiple tasks, there could be a display of the TOTAL estimated time.

This way, I could quickly determine whether it's realistic or not for me to get a certain set of tasks done in a day, half day, a couple hours, etc.

Thanks!
Posted 16 years ago
kirad says:
+1
I was also looking for this option!
I hope this will be added!
Posted 12 years ago
andrea.haman says:
Also voting for showing the time estimate next to the task within each list (not in the task details) and for showing this in the Overview
Posted 11 years ago
kenneho says:
+1 from me too. I'm planning to use RTM for my time management system described in Thomas A. Limoncellis "Time Management for System Administrators" book, and (quite near) essential for me to have task estimate in the list.
Posted 11 years ago
(closed account) says:
+1

It would be especially useful for when I print/view my Weekly Planner
Posted 10 years ago
dave.liao says:
Is there a way to do this, even via a style hack? =)
Posted 8 years ago
dave.liao says:
Is there a way to do this, even via a style hack? =)
Posted 8 years ago
dave.liao says:
Any kind of visual indicator would be useful...
Posted 7 years ago
marktudor says:
Adding my vote to this feature.
Posted 7 years ago
onerror says:
+1, that is a must-have
Posted 7 years ago
luisjcolorado says:
A big +1! I have also considered exporting to I can see the estimated time and the total for a list of tasks or subtasks, but I haven't found anything so far :(
Posted 7 years ago
vkhubani says:
Yes!!!
Posted 7 years ago
joseaznarp says:
+1, this is a must-have, really useful data
Posted 7 years ago
katharinabrinck says:
+1
Posted 7 years ago
yuriy.daybov says:
Looks like this feature request is so old that there is no hope that it will be implemented at all. ((
From my point of view it is the most signficant lack of functionality in the task list.
It makes the "estimation" field useless.
I wish I could group my tasks per their length but nope.
What a pity.
Posted 6 years ago
nzhuk98 says:
+1, would be great if this is ever done.

@yuriy.daybov: you can group by estimate or anything else in advanced sort (gear icon in the top right corner of a list)
Posted 6 years ago
benjagmann says:
+1

This is an important addon, I'd like to see. I'm using the Total Estimate per day to check whether I need to defer tasks into the next day.
At the moment, this is a hassle as I need to go through every single task to see their estimates.

I'd like to know from the daily overview which tasks take how much time , so I can make a decision on which one to defer to another day.
Posted 6 years ago
rick.cuddy says:
Yes please.
Posted 6 years ago
kenneho says:
+1
Posted 6 years ago
korgonthurus says:
+1 guys there's real value in showing the estimate to the task view, and it's plain easy code-wise. Also calculating total time for subtasks or for all selected tasks is an essential feature.
Posted 6 years ago
evan.fredericks says:
If showing the estimate itself would be too "busy" interface-wise, then even having a way to show that there is an estimate documented at all would be helpful. I often use the "today" and "this week" view to get an estimate of total task time needed for the day/week to help with scheduling, and this breaks if I have tasks that don't have an estimate documented. I have to make a separate smart search in order to catch tasks without estimates which adds another step to the process.
Posted 6 years ago
amitgupta_pb says:
Is anyone listening here? Looks like the thread is 11 years old.
Posted 5 years ago
amitgupta_pb says:
Anyone there? Yooohooo.... Any body?
Posted 5 years ago
black49483 says:
+1
Posted 5 years ago
emadrigalr says:
Absolutely needed, specially to reorganize your work. If you have x hours available on a day you need to move tasks between days depending on that available time. Besides, in the week week view you need to see the total estimate of each day to move your tasks between the days of the week.
Posted 5 years ago
stefanhoevenaar says:
@RTM, is there a reasoning in RTM-philosophy to not display estimate (or 'estimated') in lists?
Posted 5 years ago
jimmyytran says:
This is greatly needed to quickly see which tasks have not been estimated without using SmartList
Posted 5 years ago
chrismurdochadsk says:
+1
Posted 5 years ago
shamusmac says:
+1 - You can see per List only on the Web view.

A higher level task should show the sum of all subtasks if it doesn't have it's own estimate defined separately.

They have the data, we just can't see it where we need to.
Posted 5 years ago
axelbli says:
+1 - must have.

Should be easy to implement. What is the reason this feature has not yet been added?
Posted 4 years ago
amitgupta28 says:
Sad to see this RTM team is not even bothered to reply to this thread where people are posting for past 12 years
Posted 4 years ago
thomasb84 says:
+1 very important to me
Posted 4 years ago
plilley says:
Absolutely; is critical for planning each day
Posted 4 years ago
kg7ski says:
+1 I really like that you can see the time for all tasks in a list (e.g. tasks for today)
Posted 4 years ago
rothm says:
+1 I am using RTM for years now, missing this kind of feature (estimated time next to each task in a list, not only the sum of all tasks) from the beginning.
Makes daily/weekly planning very cumbersome w.r.t. avoiding over-committment. Blocking an quick and easy re-organization in order to find the right level of time booked for tasks per day.
As others said alreay: Should be easy to implement. So what is the reason this feature has not yet been added?
Any response from the RTM developer team to this > 10 years lasting thread would be very appreciated.
Posted 3 years ago
renatt says:
It's very good option. It must be in RTM!
Posted 3 years ago
carl.j.williams1 says:
New user, why is this not in yet!?!
Posted 3 years ago
carl.j.williams1 says:
As a workaround I put the time in brackets e.g. Task (30m)
But would be much nicer if that was automatically displayed
Posted 3 years ago
stefanhoevenaar says:
Dear RTM-team,
How come RTM you responded to this in 13 years? Is there a fundamental reason not to show time estimates? I can enter a time estimate, even rather prominently, below due date, but that doesn't make any sense if I cannot see it anywhere else. What are your thoughts on this?
Posted 3 years ago
sesamest says:
I found a way to group by estimated time (but not to display the time; didn't try it out to see how it would look).

In the task list settings you can "Sort by advanced". There you can sort or group by most (maybe all) fields, including estimate.
Posted 3 years ago
dmcconkey says:
+1
This would be very helpful, much more helpful than the Grouping by Estimation that RTM provides.
Posted 3 years ago
thomasb84 says:
Would be a great feature, as can be seen in this topic for many many people.
Dear RTM team, please consider implementation (can't be too hard...).
Posted 3 years ago
thomasb84 says:
Or at least show the summed up estimated time of selected tasks...
Posted 3 years ago
thomasb84 says:
Ok, might be trickier than expected due to repeating tasks, which do, in fact, not exist until the next task of the repeating series is completed...
Posted 3 years ago
brownstudy says:
+1 for this feature, and a note of disappointment that it's been such a long-standing feature request with no input from the developers.

A very hacky workaround (apologies if someone already mentioned it) is to use tags for 30min, 60min, etc, since they display in Today view. But then you don't get the estimates, and I see no reason to enter this info twice. I've removed the Estimate field since I cannot tell at a glance in the Today view whether I've booked myself for 4 hours or 13 hours of commitments.
Posted 1 year ago
milene.cha says:
unfortunately the "estimate" field cannot be used to its maximum potential.

I've been waiting for these improvements for a couple of years...
Posted 1 year ago
kenneho says:
+1 for this feature.

Does anyone from RTM actually read these feature request? After 15 years, from a users' point of view, one would expect that a minor feature like this would have been implemented, or at very least that someone from the company would respons and let us know the status.
Posted 1 year ago
leoocampo says:
This really should be a feature/option. It's amazing it's not already there. It would be easy enough to just display it next to the task.

Also... it would be nice if a task could show you the total estimated time of its subtasks. I do like having the ability to give a parent task its own time estimate independent of the child tasks, but I really wish it would show me the total time of those child tasks.
Posted 12 months ago