Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

Ability to number tasks temporarily in a list so that you know which to do first

mkmkmk0 says:
In a list, such as "clean garage", I have 50 items to do, but I don't know which one to do first. I propose a temporary field that allows me to number the tasks in sequence so that I can just go through one at a time in the right order and get the whole job done.
Posted at 8:19am on June 21, 2011
bigbro says:
Also useful for ordering tasks for a given day: e.g. at the start of a working day I want to pick 5 tasks that I *will* get done today, in order from 1 through 5 (or whatever number is appropriate.) These tasks might be chosen independently of their due dates or priorities, which is why an extra field is useful.
Posted 12 years ago
crystal.odenkirk says:
I upvoted this, but I thought I'd mention that there's a workaround already. Sort your list alphabetically, then edit the task names to start with .01., .02., etc. If you start it with a "." it rises to the top of the list. Use however many digits you think are in the highest number you'll use (so if you have 150 items you might go for ".001." If you don't then you'll get ".1.", ".10.", ".11." before ".2."

Not as nice or as easy to change on the fly as a separate field, but it works. It's how I do what you're talking about.
Posted 12 years ago
(closed account) says:
Great suggestion! I do this now by entering 1, 2, 3, etc. into the task name but what if I want to re-order the tasks? It falls apart.
Posted 12 years ago
(closed account) says:
This would also useful for purposes of grabbing a random task. Just go to random.org, have it generate a random number between 1 and 50, and do that task.
Posted 11 years ago