Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

Meta-idea: a better ideas organizer

nuteater says:
I recently had an idea for improving RTM, and as I skimmed through the hundreds of forum posts describing dozens of times the same ideas over and over again, with most threads dead after the first comment, a thought struck me: there has to be a better way to do this.

There are several free issue tracking systems available, and any of them would help keep the problem reports and feature requests organized a lot better -- and isn't that the RTM way, keeping things organized. Issues could be commented and voted on by users, duplicate issues merged and redundant or invalid issues deleted. Users could easily see is their issue reported already, as the list of open issues would be shorter. This would greatly benefit both users of RTM, but even more so the developers, who could better keep track of what features users really like. Triaging bugs would take time but I guess more time is wasted going through the forum posts. And if the RTM staff is really sneaky they could just promote a few trusted pro users to do the triaging for them in exchange for a discount.

It might be that this post also simply gets buried under the flood of replicated ideas -- and this post may well be already posted by someone else -- but if you are reading this please let me know what you think.
Posted at 6:31am on April 18, 2011
Launched
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
Now launched (you're looking at it :).

There'll be a blog post about this later today.
Posted 12 years ago
ranbarton Power Poster says:
As a long-time user and ardent fan of RTM, I must say that when some ideas appear over and over with no action and almost no comments from the RTM staff, I find I conclude that they like things the way they are now. I agree that these boards are useful to a point, but lack all sorts of useful features, and yet they have gone untouched for years so perhaps then development crew is not interested in the richer, more detailed feedback you could elect from a user base if they were given a better tool with which to offer their impressions. It is a mystery to me.
Posted 12 years ago
relevart says:
They are preparing some new forum feartues. Let's hope it's something like this.
Posted 12 years ago
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
Coincidentally it's something, um, very much like this. :)
Posted 12 years ago
ranbarton Power Poster says:
I am eager to eat my words.
Posted 12 years ago
nuteater says:
Glad to hear there is something being done :) RTM would indeed benefit from more active and organized interaction between users and developers -- incidentally this is also something the competitors of RTM like to advertise having.
Posted 12 years ago
You cannot comment on this idea as it is locked.