Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

Notification emails (e.g. a new task is received, a shared task is completed or modified, etc)

bob.ennis says:
Just spent the day trying to set up RTM for a small team. I have tried many task management systems that are slightly better at assigning tasks, but I really like the flexibility of RTM and the ability to sync with my Blackberry. I assumed wrongly that RTM would be able to sent an email or sms when we receive a sent task or when a task has been completed or changed. Not having this functionality makes RTM unusable for our team since we are all very mobile and need to know when new tasks have been assigned or the status of the tasks have been changed. Have I missed something?
Posted at 8:32pm on November 27, 2010
Launched
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
With the new Remember The Milk, you'll now receive an email (and an in-app) notification when a task is given to you, or a list shared with you. We'll be looking at how we can expand the notifications feature in the future. :) Thanks for everyone's feedback on this!
Posted 7 years ago
a73x.v says:
+ 1
Great suggestion bob.ennis
Posted 13 years ago
sebast78 says:
+1
Posted 13 years ago
avalerion says:
Any chance of this happening?
Posted 13 years ago
kbondar says:
Our development team has also made several attempts to use RTM as our task management/tracking utility. I absolutely love the ease of use and the mobility of RTM. Unfortunately, all of our attempts have failed due to the missing functionality of simple notifications that a task has been created/modified/edited/assigned or notes have been left. This makes it impossible to cooperate on a wide scale, imagine someone has to call me and say "Hey, did you see that I added a task to your list" otherwise I would never notice it. So we have concluded that unfortunately at this stage in RTM's development it still remains a highly PERSONAL tool, where YOU have to track each and every task. We hope that eventually notifications will become available and RTM will continue to grow in this direction as there is no match to simplicity of this platform.
Posted 12 years ago
vzb says:
seems so simple and so crucial
Posted 12 years ago
coppercreative says:
+!

but there is a clunky workaround if you like...

if you sign up for a free www.notify.me account, you can get email or sms notifications when a feed changes

so for me, I went to my inbox, made sure no tasks were selected and then hit the 'atom feed' button

paste the feed url into notify me

whenever I get a task sent to me, it emails me :)

hope that helps

Gary
Posted 12 years ago
billshander says:
I couldn't agree more with this feature - using RTM for groups really requires this feature, IMHO.
Posted 12 years ago
klagreca says:
absolutely needed!
Posted 12 years ago
(closed account) says:
Massive omission - really need this!
Posted 12 years ago
mqheel says:
Have to do this!! My admin wants to go back to Reqall because RTM doesn't support this. Also need to be able to share task from mobile apps.
Posted 12 years ago
p.dunkel says:
+1 Absolutely Essential
Posted 12 years ago
marcwklass says:
This feature will make sharing a list much more efficient. Right now I have to keep checking for any changes to my shared lists.
Posted 12 years ago
wgsmith777 says:
+1 Completely Agree!
Posted 12 years ago
yduverdier says:
+2
RTM is not usuable without this basic feature for teamworking.
Posted 12 years ago
vctork says:
+1
Posted 12 years ago
mqheel says:
No response from RTM on this? I sent a note into customer service and it doesn't appear this basic, yet important, feature is on their radar screen. This thread was started in Nov 2010. Seems to be unanimous agreement that this is a key feature.
Posted 11 years ago
180biz says:
+1 I would love it if a task is added, modified or completed by another user in a bar like the yellow bar I see everytime I add or modify something at the top of my screen. Maybe make the bar a different color so I know it is a shared task or tab
Posted 11 years ago
bddwyer says:
+1
Posted 11 years ago
rosefox says:
Please do this! RTM is basically useless as a social tool without it.
Posted 11 years ago
jevonreinke says:
+1
Working remotely, without this feature, I may as well just check my e-mail instead of RTM and have the same problem of not getting to assigned tasks in time
Posted 11 years ago
catada says:
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!
I started using Milk to keep a track of tasks that I want a remote team member to do.
I have put some 30 entries in and tagged them all and added notes, She has started making changes and I was VERY surprised not to be notified. What's the go?
It is particularly bad as she put her updated info in the notes, - I didn't know they are there until she emailed me, then I had to figure out which task she was talking about. It was hard enough to convince her to use an app at all, Milk looked great - it looks user friendly, has versions for so many devices etc but without this it doesn't save much time
Posted 11 years ago
jock.friedly says:
critical feature needed
Posted 11 years ago
marin.vintila says:
+1
Very useful feature, would certainly improve the experience.
Posted 11 years ago
geff326 says:
I really think this is an absolute must have, there are so many more features in RTM less crucial than this, please have a look into this
Posted 11 years ago
brayne says:
Yes, my vote goes for this one too. I consider this an essential feature.
Posted 10 years ago
inesusvet says:
+2
My friend and I use RTM as android-app on daily basis. I suggest it will be usefull if RTM will post in notification area on device message like "Incoming task! @Mihank"
Thanks
Posted 10 years ago
tomjepson says:
Agree please add this feature
Posted 10 years ago
kenneho says:
+2 from me too. It's a very essential feature.
Posted 10 years ago
(closed account) says:
Massive need for us. Would help greatly.
Posted 10 years ago
rbreton74 says:
Please, also when a note is changed/adde.
Thanks
Posted 10 years ago
inglex says:
would be very good
Posted 10 years ago
(closed account) says:
Yes, we need this
Posted 10 years ago
(closed account) says:
+2
This would be awesome. My father and I thought this could be possible before and decided to make this our "digital white board" of tasks. Let's get this going soon :)
Posted 10 years ago
lizbradleyuga says:
Agreed. This would be great. What about cc: (a group email) for every task added? Kind of a pain though.
Posted 10 years ago
jeffdielle says:
I need this feature. I want to share a task list with an admin and have the admin receive notifications when I make changes to the list.
Posted 9 years ago
apiccirilli says:
+2; for those of us who skip the Overview screen, some sort of notification that a list has been shared would be extremely useful.
Posted 9 years ago
scott.jeynes says:
+1 I'm not a business user; I want to keep in touch with my wife on our boatloads of home and personal to-dos. Sharing tasks is great, but I also want her to be notified if I add a note to a task--this would be an excellent way to ask questions and keep each other updated. Manually sending e-mails or texts is exactly what I want to get away from.
Posted 9 years ago
carloscadu says:
+1
Posted 7 years ago
carloscadu says:
Just linking to other thread, in which was discussed:
"I've tried to set up RTM for a team, and not having both "notifications" and "log/history" features makes RTM quite inefficient to teamwork. If one have 10 tasks, it may be manageable to check each task for changes. But if you have +100 tasks in a shared environment and you don't have means to follow what is going on, it becomes really impossible to have a productive teamwork."
https://www.rememberthemilk.com/forums/help/20755/
Posted 7 years ago
contract_work says:
Yes, in my use of RTM in working with clients, it would be AMAZING to have a notification when notes corresponding to a given task have been added by a client... a low bar for user friendliness when using for collaboration.
Posted 7 years ago
You cannot comment on this idea as it is locked.