Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

Local notifications (i.e. offline notifications)

kike00 says:
Hey rtm :P
I think It would be a good idea to make push notifications available while the wi-fi is off.
I have an ipod touch but I can't have the wi-fi on all the time so I get all notifications when I turn it on to sync... But sometimes I need to get a notification but I don't get it 'cause wi-fi is off...

well... that's all :)
Posted at 12:26am on October 21, 2010
ranbarton Power Poster says:
How would one receive notifications, pushed from a central server, without a network connection to the central server?
Posted 13 years ago
action.manager says:
This can be done (if all tasks are on your iDevice); it's a new iOS4 feature:

"Local notifications - Your app can now alert users of scheduled events and alarms in the background, no servers required."

From: http://developer.apple.com/technologies/ios/whats-new.html
Posted 13 years ago
action.manager says:
PS: with "can be done" I mean "RTM could implement this"...
Posted 13 years ago
Wow. I wish more developers would implement this. While I have wifi at work, they firewall the port Apple uses for notifications, so I never receive any alerts there. This is a great feature, and I very much appreciate your bringing it to my attention. Here's hoping Bob can add this to the post-iPad list, as this would be great.
Posted 13 years ago
rmchale says:
this would be nice
Posted 13 years ago
touff says:
+1
Posted 13 years ago
Now that I am this much more dependent on the terrific iPad app, I am all the more excited about this idea.
Posted 12 years ago
rvallem says:
+1
Posted 12 years ago
dimokrat says:
+1
Posted 12 years ago
rorarruda says:
+1
Posted 12 years ago
snaggletooth says:
Please implent this. Especially with iOS5, the Reminders app has this ability and it's making me split up my tasks! I really want to keep RTM as my main todo-list program but I need notifications!

Pretty please?
Posted 12 years ago
adya33 says:
I agree with this. Now I am starting to rely more and more on RTM to get things done, this feature would be very handy
Posted 11 years ago
martin.strachota says:
Please implement this! I find this feature super-important!
Posted 11 years ago
(closed account) says:
Native iOS reminders in RTM would also solve another problem. Currently, if you travel to a different time zone, RTM reminders will be offset by the number of hours different from your home time zone.
Posted 10 years ago