Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

Show the task creation date

rendlm5 says:
I would be great to know WHEN A TASK WAS CREATED. so, in addition to having the "due" date also have a "Created" date.

e.g. if you want to manage other people who you tell to do something, but dont need due dates so they can finish on their own terms, you could simply keep track of tasks by checking the creation date and check in with the people about their progress. What do other people think?
Posted at 5:24pm on September 18, 2010
Launched
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
With the new Remember The Milk, you can now see the date that any task was added by clicking on the "i" icon on the task card.

Hope this helps!
Posted 7 years ago
raymond.bergmark Power Poster says:
You can force a smart list to show the creation date by adding
AND addedBefore:tomorrow
to the smart list critieria. This part is always true (hides no tasks) and adds an added date to the task details box
Posted 13 years ago
ranbarton Power Poster says:
If only one could search against, and sort by, this field.
Posted 13 years ago
cikkcakk says:
VOTE +1

It would make our lives much easier if the "Date Created" of each task was automatically visible on the right side with the other task info, without having to force smart lists, or creating atom rss feeds.

The date a task was created is just as important as the due date, especially for people (like myself) who don't set due dates at all. It's helpful to know when a task was created in order to track progress and/or prioritize.

The info box to the right of the task should look like this:

Created: September 24, 2010
Due: never
Repeat: never
Time estimate: 30 minutes
Tags: bananas
URL: www.rememberthemilk.com
Postponed: 0 times
Shared with: bob the monkey
Notes: 0

I believe that by adding this feature, RTM would be even more useful for ALL of us...

Thanks for considering my thoughts.
Posted 13 years ago
tymko says:
Seconded. So much seconded.
It would make Remember the Milk soooo good for the Autofocus system
Posted 13 years ago
jeb54321 says:
I would definitely like to be able to in some way sort by (or even KNOW) creation date.

There was a topic requesting sorting by creation date that went back three years, but it was closed as being inactive for six months (http://www.rememberthemilk.com/forums/ideas/2514/ - last post was 9 months ago).

It may be I just have a very different style than what RTM is intended for. I like it's basic simplicity, but it seems that getting simplicity and *just* the feature set you want are incompatible goals. I think the problem is that I use it more like a "to-do" list or wish list, than as a "task manager", where my to-dos are events that may not come for years if ever (e.g., "climb Mt. Everest"), but have no real time sense associated with them. For example, I used to use Ta-da List where I always kept a list of Christmas gift ideas. Due date PRESUMABLY December 25th, but not really a helpful piece of information for tab "Christmas 2010".

I have put a due date on RTM maybe twice in the year or two I have been using it. In fact, I'm considering changing my use of it by adding a due date of TODAY for every item I enter, even though that couldn't be further from the truth. But then I'd have a means of sorting items by when I first created them, which is MUCH more meaningful to me than any sort of completion date.

In fact, age is often my best prioritization. If it's been there for several years, perhaps it needs tending to, or even deleting. I'm more interested in how long it's been there, and have no clue when exactly it might or must be done.

N-T-L, sorting by creation date - VERY desirable!

Thanks!
Posted 13 years ago
moplex says:
Ditto - an always visible creation date would be a perfect expansion, for powerful software like RTM.
Posted 13 years ago
loricaruso says:
VOTE + 1

Thanks @rajjan for showing me how to access this field! But, you're all right--seeing this on an item-by-item basis is not as good as seeing them sorted by oldest item to newest item.

I also advocate the start date idea. This would be really helpful for tracking coupons for example. Stores are releasing "limited time" coupons. I have 2 "Kohl's Dollars" in my wallet that are good starting Tuesday, and expiring the following Monday. When that Tuesday comes around, I want to start planning my shopping trip...will it be after work one day or sometime that weekend.
Posted 13 years ago
brrutzo says:
+1
Posted 13 years ago
ignacio.calvo says:
+1
Posted 13 years ago
walrusit says:
+ 1
Posted 13 years ago
nuclearscan says:
Hello - please do add creation date !! Cheers, CB
Posted 12 years ago
(closed account) says:
+1
Posted 12 years ago
luc0zade says:
I hope Ranbarton is rewarded for persistent campaigning in support of 'sort by date added', as said above this feature was originally requested years ago.

Still, thanks for the tip re. addedBefore:tomorrow - although knowing these dates are in the system makes not being able to sort them even more frustrating!
Posted 12 years ago
dank2878 says:
+1

This is the ONLY feature I've found thus far in this product.

As mentioned by cikkcakk above, it can't be that difficult to add this to the task status display. If some users don't want it visible there, allow it as a setting chosen by each user.
Posted 12 years ago
timjph says:
I've asked for this feature multiple times without any response from RTM. I went pro twice hoping this might get a higher priority. Having not even had a reply, I'm holding off from being pro again in protest!
Posted 12 years ago
lefedor says:
+1
Posted 12 years ago
super_k says:
+1
Posted 12 years ago
kegelman says:
+1
Posted 12 years ago
rendlm5 says:
I started this thread on Sept 18, 2010, now soon 1 year ago. lots of responses by several users!

WOULD ANYONE OF THE RTM TEAM COMMENT PLEASE?

We ALL want a visible "TASK CREATION DATE"

a solution as suggested by "cikkcakk" above would be great. Please do it and I can start using RTM finally efficiently for people/project management!
Posted 12 years ago
bsagaert says:
Fully support this
Posted 12 years ago
valmojado says:
+1
Posted 12 years ago
gegillo says:
+1
Posted 12 years ago
rendlm5 says:
update: I really hate that without a "start date" or "task creation date" I cannot know when a task was started that I have postponed multiple times, or even changed due dates.

To have a "start date" is essential to keep track of tardiness. This is essential for delegation and people management. e.g. as supervisor I agree with an employee on a due date, put it in as task. then for some reason it gets postponed. I have no way of RTM telling me how much time past between original start date = creation of the task, AND the due date. unless I remember.... how ironic! this is what RTM is for!
Posted 12 years ago
rendlm5 says:
Please implement "Start date" AND/OR "Created" field !

It was asked for already multiple times (MERGE THE VOTES?):

https://www.rememberthemilk.com/forums/ideas/11229/
https://www.rememberthemilk.com/forums/ideas/2177/
https://www.rememberthemilk.com/forums/ideas/13150/

THANKS !
Posted 12 years ago
dhgunn says:
A creation date is the day a task is created. A notional start date is the day the user wishes to see the task in his or her list. They are not the same thing.

Furthermore, proper use of sleeper tags saves you from needing a start date, so you can start using that today and stop whining for the obviously-overwhelmed Bob T. Monkey to get around to this.
Posted 12 years ago
matthew.broadbridge says:
An idea for a possible work-around on the sorting issue. I think forcing tasks without any real deadline to have a due date exactly 1 year after the date you create them could result in them being sorted by creation date because of the default sorting schemes in RTM. Then an added bonus is they don't all appear as overdue unless they are extremely old. That being said I'm still looking for a way to automatically assign the due date on tasks that do not have any on each and every day that I log into RTM. I've been wondering if anyone has a widget that will do this for me?
Posted 12 years ago
andrey.d.sergeev says:
+1
Posted 12 years ago
tom.vanbaarle says:
+1
Posted 12 years ago
tanguyg says:
+1
Posted 12 years ago
indelible.inkstain says:
+1

For me, the usefulness of the app is markedly less now than it would be if this were a feature. I have to repeatedly reschedule items due to emergencies and it is impossible to reschedule effectively without knowing which tasks came first in time.
Posted 11 years ago
pstoffel says:
+1
Posted 11 years ago
Hi friends of FIFO sequencing. Here's my current workaround. I use a "dummy due date" 1 year in advance of the task's Added Date. Whatever has a "real" due date is sorted first which suits my preference. Use these steps to implement:

Create a smart list for every project list (yes, 2 lists per project! ...I have 53x2) because smartlists will automatically assign the attributes when you add a task via the smart list. I prefixed each smart list name with "ADD" to remind me to add tasks there, and the search attributes were {list:"wk- Project1" due:1year}.

Then I manually changed the due dates of pre-existing timeless tasks individually by typing the date 1 year after AddedDate. It took me 90minutes @ 7 entries per minute. You can force the Added Date to show in any smart list with "addedBefore:tomorrow" --. I found all the un-dated tasks with the search {addedBefore:tomorrow due:never}

I hope this helps you too!
Posted 11 years ago
anthony.hamlet says:
Please
Posted 11 years ago
elynnwq says:
+1
Posted 11 years ago
pat8 says:
This is the only date that I need to use for sorting. Please add this so that I can keep my Pro account. Can you let us know if this is going to happen.
Posted 11 years ago
FIFO sequencing methods - I've just found a massive improvement to my last post above: Change the smartlist attribute due:"1 year 1min" will force the due date to contain an arbitrary time stamp, thus sorting all the tasks created on the same day.

This is great for me because tasks added during weekly review were all lumped together on screen and in my mind. Now they are all sequenced by the minute.

GTD method - I'm cutting back on how many "ADD" smartlists are visible, only FIFO domains. So I'm just showing ADD smartlists for "wk.Daily" and "ps.Daily" because I only need the ones that capture ad-hoc tasks, not projects or recurring admin tasks since they almost always have non-arbitrary schedules.
Posted 11 years ago
s_stefanovic says:
Please add this feature, my vote goes for it
Posted 11 years ago
h04 says:
+1 please.. i was looking for that feature since first use.. again same question after few years :) any workarounds?
Posted 11 years ago
jamesr404 says:
+2 Would also very much like this, sometimes poorly written tasks as "find out how much was debited from bank account for ATM transfer" have to get discarded because I don't know when the F I wrote that :-)

The creation date of any item can always be helpful.

@rajjan Thanks for your tip to display the creation date by adding
AND addedBefore:tomorrow to smart lists.

Still, would like this to be shown by default or through one "Settings" option for users.

Hence my vote :)
Posted 11 years ago
ccebba says:
+1 please!
Posted 11 years ago
ramandv says:
+1
Posted 11 years ago
ziphyre says:
+1
Posted 11 years ago
lisa.losch says:
+1
Posted 11 years ago
paul.thoroughgood says:
+1
Posted 11 years ago
astriker says:
Plus 50 --- seems like a simple add ---
Posted 11 years ago
alicea says:
+1
Posted 11 years ago
mark_brewster says:
+1
Posted 10 years ago
drewsherman says:
+1
Posted 10 years ago
robert.rosolek says:
+1
Posted 10 years ago
mauro.crovato says:
+1
Posted 10 years ago
marcus.povey says:
+1
Posted 10 years ago
paul.monk says:
+1
Posted 10 years ago
tokos says:
+1
Posted 10 years ago
patfinn33 says:
+1
Posted 10 years ago
(closed account) says:
+1
Posted 10 years ago
mauro.crovato says:
+2 :)
Posted 10 years ago
scratcher says:
+1
Posted 10 years ago
gegillo says:
+1
Posted 10 years ago
lmw_dk says:
+1
Posted 10 years ago
sagar.katta says:
+1
Posted 10 years ago
workscd says:
+1
Posted 8 years ago
nicholasemay says:
This is perfect for implementing GTD's WAITING.

It would be nice if we could add display logic -- if list or tag = waiting then prefix_task_name_with_task_creation_date.

Of course, I'd want the option of using last_edited instead, too. In case I followed up with someone and they said they needed another week on something.
Posted 8 years ago
nicholasemay says:
This is perfect for implementing GTD's WAITING.

It would be nice if we could add display logic -- if list or tag = waiting then prefix_task_name_with_task_creation_date.

Of course, I'd want the option of using last_edited instead, too. In case I followed up with someone and they said they needed another week on something.
Posted 8 years ago
You cannot comment on this idea as it is locked.