Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

Customize sort order for completed tasks

boxinxu says:
I often check completed tasks as a way to track progress towards a goal, but the current sort order for completed tasks is by completion date, just thought it should be able to sort by due date as well. What do you think? Thank you.
Posted at 1:35am on September 1, 2010
boxinxu says:
found out it'd been discussed long before, many want it but still not implemented, disappointed:(

http://www.rememberthemilk.com/forums/ideas/7738/
Posted 13 years ago
gormac says:
+1
Posted 13 years ago
swerntz says:
Another +1 for completed task sort options.
Should be very easy since sorting is already available elsewhere.

I'm need it for a repetitive use shopping list (Costco). As a workaround I currently use a two lists. One holds all possible items I might get since this list is not completed I can sort. I move items from this list to a second list as I prep for next shopping trip. The second list is used during a shopping trip. After shopping I move all completed items from the second list back to the first list then I uncomplete them so they're available for next time. This works OK as long as you use a full browser to for the bulk actions. Not so great if I had to do it all on my mobile device.
Posted 13 years ago
jlous says:
+1
At the very least it should support "use same ordering as uncompleted", but I can't see why one couldn't just allow any sort in this view.

For example, I have lists where I frequently reuse old tasks by uncompleting them. The uncompleted ones I want ordered by priority or due date, but the (large) list of completed ones I'd like alphabetical so I can quickly find the specific one I'd like to uincomplete.
Posted 13 years ago
rtrimble says:
+1 for the ability to sort completed tasks.

I have a grocery list where I reuse completed tasks. However, having my completed tasks sorted by completion date make finding the items I want to uncomplete difficult.

As a workaround I move the completed grocery tasks to an empty list, uncompleted them, then sort as desired. I then move the tasks I want to reuse back to the grocery list as uncompleted tasks. I re-complete the rest of the tasks and move them back to the grocery list as completed tasks.

These extra steps could be prevented if I could sort completed tasks alphabetically.

Thanks.

Posted 13 years ago
jordi9 says:
+1

This is a must for reusable items!

jordi
Posted 13 years ago
wohler says:
From the duplicate idea #7738: sort completed task

+1 for groceries.
+1 for movies.
+1 for beers
+1 for restaurants
+1 for wines

In the latter cases, I'd like to sort by priority (used to rank an item) in addition to sorting alphabetically so I can quickly recommend 5-star movies or excellent wines to a friend :-)

Thus, in general, I'd like to be able to sort completed tasks by alphabetical/priority, or priority/alphabetical at a minimum. Of course, each list, including smart lists, should have their own completed item sort preference. The default sort by completed date is fine.
Posted 12 years ago
(closed account) says:
+1
Posted 12 years ago
.hull says:
People seem to have been asking for this for several years now. Any response from RTM?
Posted 12 years ago
cwh0471 says:
RTM needs to get this done. Seems like it would be an easy fix as we can sort all incomplete lists.
Posted 12 years ago
snugglesz says:
Please do this. It is insane that the *single reason* I tried this application--using the iphone reminder list to make a grocery list is impossible because the completed list is unsortable--is not fixed by this application.
Posted 11 years ago
basovink says:
+3.5
Posted 7 years ago
basovink says:
This is a duplicate https://www.rememberthemilk.com/forums/ideas/20547/
Posted 7 years ago
catseyetc says:
Basovink is right. There are two threads.

I am so frustrated with the lack of sort order with completed tasks that I am even considering not renewing my subscription next year. I have no idea where I should 'vote'. I wrote to RTM about this in Jun 2016 and I am clearly not alone in this request for 6 years!!! Really??

It's even worse in the new windows app now because at least I could use the browsers 'find' facility without leaving my list. The app makes me navigate away from the list every time.

I am posting this in both forum posts. Not sure if RTM are going to start bothering to check the forums. Let's hope.

Post links:
https://www.rememberthemilk.com/forums/ideas/11092/
https://www.rememberthemilk.com/forums/ideas/20547/
Posted 7 years ago
simon.miner says:
+1
Posted 7 years ago
timns says:
+1
Posted 7 years ago
timns says:
I contacted support about this and they seemed to be aware that I'd also posted here in the forum. So they are reading this stuff, but in stealth mode ;)

I'm going to check in with them again in a week: I have this neat program with recurring reminders so I don't forget ;)
Posted 7 years ago
sean.digitalfix says:
My god it's been over 6 years since this MOST BASIC list management feature was first requested.

That is extremely discouraging.

I would pay for a pro subscription if RTM could do this.
Posted 7 years ago
timns says:
Yes I wish I'd noticed this before buying two pro subscriptions for home
Posted 7 years ago
sailj32 says:
This is very important to me, and no doubt easy to implement. Why not done by now after years of user input?
Posted 7 years ago
joe.design says:
+1
Posted 6 years ago
mathieu.hubeek says:
+1
Posted 6 years ago
djringel303 says:
Seems surprising this request has not been implemented after so many years
Posted 3 years ago
pavel.romanov says:
+1
Posted 2 years ago
jbyars says:
This topic seems to be brought up every few years and ends up in multiple threads. Ex: https://www.rememberthemilk.com/forums/ideas/20547/
My Assumption is that there is a threshold that has to be hit for RTM to implement a new feature. It says that votes are consolidated when threads are consolidated. However, it seems it does NOT take account of the fact that some questions are similar and would actually be solved by the same code update. Ex: This thread is asking for the ability to sort by Due Date (IE, custom sort), while https://www.rememberthemilk.com/forums/ideas/20547/ is asking for sort in completed lists to follow the same sort options as incomplete (ie, custom sort). These are the same things and both threads are open...and not consolidated. As this is already implemented in the "incomplete" view, it seems the code could be somewhat easily incorporated into the "completed" view since they render the same way...and yes, I know, no code change is "simple". But I would ask that RTM look at searching for other similar threads where the "ask" is phrased differently but would be solved by the same code update. This "ask" has been around for 13 years (or longer) at this point.
Posted 1 day ago
jbyars says:
BTW-RTM, I've found a workaround, but it is VERY tedious to set up the first time. However, once it is set up, it can be reused. Before I post it into tips and tricks, I'd like to show someone from RTM as it could be a bit database intensive. Please contact me at the email address on file if interested.
Posted 1 day ago