Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

Tagging multiple tasks at once

jrough says:
Is it possible to add a tag to multiple tasks? I've tried selecting all and adding a tag but it only tags the last task.
Posted at 5:48am on February 2, 2006
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
Not currently, but we're working on a multiple edit feature.
Posted 18 years ago
ashikur.rahman says:
I think this would be very very useful because I typically change tags for multiple entries and try to do it at one go.
Posted 18 years ago
quepol says:
i will "third" this... would be extremely helpful.
Posted 18 years ago
grawity says:
Agree.
Posted 18 years ago
rakesh says:
4th, 5th and 6th as well!!!
Posted 18 years ago
(closed account) says:
7th it
Posted 18 years ago
The multiple edit feature is now available, as described on the blog.

Multi-edit mode is a special mode that allows you to edit multiple tasks at the same time (you can toggle the mode on or off by using the shortcut key 'm').

When you've selected multiple tasks that have different tags, the tags field will display <Multiple> -- you can erase this and type in new tags if you want to override the tasks' existing tags.

Alternatively, if you'd like to keep the tasks' existing tags, and just add new tags, you can type them after <Multiple> and the existing tags will be retained. For example, enter:

<Multiple> supermarket

to add the tag 'supermarket' to all selected tasks, without losing the existing tags.
Posted 17 years ago
branch says:
i tried this way of preserving existing tags, but it wiped out all of the existing tags and tagged them as 'multiple' plus the new tag that i added. :-(
Posted 17 years ago
branch, are you able to email us at [old address removed] with the name of one of the tasks affected, and the list that it's in? We can restore the tags for you.

It looks like there was an issue if the new tags were typed after <Multiple> without a separating space -- sorry my instructions weren't clear on this. We'll fix this up so it won't happen again in the future -- sorry for the inconvenience!
Posted 17 years ago
branch says:
emily,
thanks, i only did it as a test, so i don't need any tags restored.

thanks for the tip on the spaces. that was not obvious!
Posted 17 years ago
quepol says:
hi emily -- any progress on the bug reported by branch? happening to me, too.

my post in the bugs forum:
when editing multiple items -- specifically, when tagging multiple items -- any info that already exists for that item is deleted.

e.g. multi-edit, select several items, hit 's' to tag, enter tags... any prior tags for those items are now gone!
Posted 17 years ago
quepol, did you try the steps for tagging multiple tasks outlined here? It's necessary to enter the tags after the '<Multiple>', otherwise the tags will be overriden with the new ones.
Posted 17 years ago
quepol says:
thanks for replying, emily. i replied in the other topic, so i won't take up more space here. :)
Posted 17 years ago
This topic has now been closed automatically due to a lack of responses in the past 90 days.