Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

Adding a task and setting due date in one shot?

otraub says:
Hi all,

I (like many I suspect) use smart lists to implement GTD in RTM. I have a smart list that shows me things due today or earlier than today (overdue). I'd like to be able to add a new task through the smart list and give it a due date of today. My problem is that when I add a task through the smart list, it doesn't yet have a due date. And since the smart list filters those out, the new task disappears from view before I had a chance to set its due date. I have to go to the underlying list and set the due date to today for it to appear. This is a pain... Is there a solution?
Posted at 5:39pm on July 28, 2008
jlc says:
My workaround is to keep a smart list called *new (which makes it the first listed). I use a Greasemonkey script to hide non-smart lists. So *new has a isTagged:false criteria. If I added a task in any other smart list, it would disappear because they all require a tag. When I add a task, I use the *new list, add in all my information, then tag it. Whoosh—off it goes to its new smart list.

If all of your smart lists require a due date, you can use the due:never command to make a little holding bin for your new tasks. Essentially, an inbox.

This works for me. Perhaps not for everyone. RtM is always open in a tab in my browser and I don't find it inconvenient to click on my * new tab, add my task, and then go back to whichever one I had open before. Just a suggestion.
Posted 15 years ago
raymond.bergmark Power Poster says:
There is a workaround that works like a charm: www.rememberthemilk.com/forums/tips/3700/

Basically you create a check smart list and add that list to your other smart lists.
Posted 15 years ago
otraub says:
rajjan: it seems neat but I can't quite get it to work.

When I add a task through the smart list, it ends up in my Indox. Can I get it to be in the 'underlying list' for the smart list? If not, my filtering just won't work.
Posted 15 years ago
raymond.bergmark Power Poster says:
Probably not. As RTM can't set all the attributes it doesn't set any, that's why you need the "OR list:check" at the end.

One solution is to only use one list (Inbox?) for most of your tasks and use tags to categorize them.
Posted 15 years ago
This topic has now been closed automatically due to a lack of responses in the past 90 days.