Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

inconsistency of multi-edit setting

hbeale says:
hi all -

generally i'm a big fan of the remember the milk UI, and the things I'm not a big fan of, i can see the reason for. there's an exception though, and it bothers me every time i use rtmilk:

some actions change all selected tasks whether or not you have the "mult-edit" mode on. other actions require multi-edit to change multiple tasks.

i use keyboard shortcuts for everything i can. i hate that i can't set the priority of a single task even if i have multi-edit off. the same goes for completing a task.

a typical example of my work flow goes like this: i add and/or select a few tasks via the keyboard. i hit "m" so my actions change all selected tasks, and then "d" to change the due dates. i may make other changes to the tasks as a group. then i type "m" to turn off multi-editing. i hit "s" to change the tag of the selected item. now if i want to change the priority of one task, i have to deselect the other tasks, even though i've already turned multiediting off.

is there a logic behind this? to me it seems only like an inconsistency.

thanks in advance for your thoughts - hopefully i'll either be enlightened/converted or i'll convince the powers that be of the compelling logic of my perspective. ;)

best,
hbeale
Posted at 9:14am on June 27, 2008
hbeale says:
A further observation: as I was using the program, I realized that I forgot to mention one of the problems that results from this inconsistency. If you have more than one screen of tasks in your current list, since you can't see them all at once, you can't immediately see whether you have more than one item selected. This means iI can't check the effect of my planned action (i.e. complete or set priority) without scrolling up and down the list, which is made slower by the movement of the floating properties boxes to the right of the list. Worse, if you have more than one screen of tasks and you're viewing the bottom portion of it, you can't see the post-action undo option, which i rely on to tell me how many objects my action affected.

Thanks for reading.
Posted 15 years ago
This topic has now been closed automatically due to a lack of responses in the past 90 days.