Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

Fuzzy due dates (this weekend, next week)

felciano says:
Hi --

What is the best way to flag items that you'd like to work on in the near term, but where things don't have a specific due date? I would love it if there was a way to assign a due date of "this weekend" or "sometime next week", but it looks like RTM doesn't support that

I'd basically like a "list of stuff to focus on" without getting excessively detailed about exactly when I'm going to do it, or even whether it needs to get done. For example, for my weekend I might just want to knock a couple of item off a list of house tasks, but they aren't "due" per se. However, I still want to focus on a subset or short-list of 10-12 candidates, especially if the whole list seems overwhelming.

I can't tell if this matches the GTD Next Action concept -- these are pretty independent tasks, so any of them technically "next actions". But I'm not actually comitting to do any of them, at least while I'm sitting in front of RTM. What I want is to grab a batch, print them out, leave the PC, and then start to do stuff. I will get through some, not all, and don't know exactly when it will get done, which is OK for these types of tasks.

Does anyone have a good approach to this using RTM?

Thanks!

Ramon
Posted at 7:26pm on June 15, 2008
ranbarton Power Poster says:
One possibility is to use priorities as your time indicator - 1 could be today, 2 this week, 3 this weekend, or 4 this month?

You could do the same with tags, I guess, but this way the priority sorting would work to help you.

You could use smartlists to show only the 1s or only the 2s, etc.
Posted 15 years ago
felciano says:
That's an interesting idea -- I don't use priorities today, so this might be a good use for them. Will try it out...
Posted 15 years ago
hansd says:
tags could also be used, and/or smartlists (eg to grab tasks that have a certain location, are on a certain list and/or have certain tags)
Posted 15 years ago
This topic has now been closed automatically due to a lack of responses in the past 90 days.