Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

Publish, But Make Viewable Only To Oneself?

chester says:
Let's say I have stuff on my to-do list like "Buy 1 gram of cocaine" and "Kick a dog" and while I want to diligently finish my tasks, I'm somewhat ashamed of them and don't want others to know that I'm a coke-fiending animal abuser, so I'd like to be able to access my feed because having an RSS-enabled To-Do list is sweet, but I want nobody else to be able to view the feed.

There's "Publish to Contacts" which ought to do this for me, but I can't add myself as a contact. I guess I could create a secondary, "dummy" account and publish to that, but is there any way to publish a feed of a list but make that list only viewable for oneself?

Thanks...
Posted at 1:14am on December 31, 2005
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
chester, which software/website are you using to access your feed?

If your feed reader supports authentication, you can access your feed with your username and password so that nobody else can see whatever devious tasks you're getting up to :)

For web-based readers, this would mean entering the feed URL as something like:

https://username:password@www.rememberthemilk.com/atom/username/100123/

(Note that this would give your feed reader your Remember The Milk password.)

If your feed reader does not support authentication, you would need to make your list public and then access the feed with a URL like:

http://www.rememberthemilk.com/atom/username/100123/

Anyway, if you let me know which software/website you're using, I can tell you what's possible :)
Posted 18 years ago
chester says:
Well, I use Bloglines for reading feeds for the most part, but I like the idea of putting my Remember the Milk lists on my Google homepage as a reminder of what needs to be done.

I'm a little confused about your directions, because in RtM, it seems the option is to either not "Publish" at all, Publish to Contacts (which cannot be oneself), or Publish to the Public.

So...if one sets a list to not be published but embeds one's user/pass into the URL, the feed will be read as if it were published?
Posted 18 years ago
chester says:
Interesting. It seems that, even if a List is designated to be Not Published, it's still possible to subscribe to it via the Atom feed URL.
Posted 18 years ago
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
chester, if you include your username/password in the URL, it will access the Atom feed as though you're logged into the site. This has nothing to do with publishing, and will work whether the list is published or not.

The problem is that some feed readers don't support authentication like this, so the only way to access the Atom feeds with those readers is to make the list public (so the Atom feed doesn't require your username/password to access it).
Posted 18 years ago
chester says:
Thanks for the reply. Looks like Google's homepage RSS subscription thingie doesn't support authentication. Bummer.

Still...good to know how it works. Thanks.
Posted 18 years ago
(closed account) says:
most current services (including google calendar) bypass thisproblem by having obfuscated (even resettable) urls, wich contain a certain random string. No real hard security, but then again i don't have any comapny secrets in my todos :)
Posted 17 years ago
This topic has now been closed automatically due to a lack of responses in the past 90 days.