Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

No Gears Shortcut Offered

wernst says:
Guys,

I have XP SP2 and Firefox 2.whatever (latest version) and I have Gears installed.

I have not ever been prompted to install a desktop icon, and I think I could really use one.

Can you tell us how to FORCE Gears to ask us to create a desktop icon?

-Warr
Posted at 6:48pm on April 17, 2008
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
Warr, unfortunately I don't think it's possible to force Gears to show this, but it might be worth double checking that your version of Google Gears is the latest (I think it's 0.3.13.0).
Posted 15 years ago
wernst says:
Weird. I restarted the computer, Firefox said it was updating itself, and then I was offered an RTM icon from Gears, which I accepted, so I guess it was a false alarm.

Just yesterday I was trying to start RTM offline and it wouldn't let me, so the desktop icon came at just the right time.

Thanks for the response.
Posted 15 years ago
boogs says:
Hello,

Aaron here. Happy to see RTM carrying on it's tradition of being the first to implement every new Gears feature :). This time before we even announced it!

For future reference, does the cow have a name?
Posted 15 years ago
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
Hey Aaron,

Oops, we didn't realise you guys hadn't announced it yet! We like to be bleeding edge :)

I don't think the cow actually has a name (although there have been lots of good suggestions)... we just call it "Cow" :)
Posted 15 years ago
johnwin says:
Howabout calling her after Ermintrude - the cow in the Magic Roundabout?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Magic_Roundabout
Posted 15 years ago
jaywinli says:
In case anyone is still interested in doing this w/ Firefox you can:

-logout of RTM
-go to Tools -> Google Gears Settings -> and remove RTM from the allowed list
-login to RTM and you'll be prompted again to allow Google Gears access and to create a desktop icon
Posted 15 years ago
This topic has now been closed automatically due to a lack of responses in the past 90 days.