Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

rtm not helping me

bpatil says:
please bear with this rant:

rtm has piled on a long list of tasks that seems to overwhelm rather than simplify.

- there is no way for me to view tasks for a specific period
- the edits are the closest ive come to play pacman in a long time. need to click and jump to the edit mode. this does not feel web 2.0
- why cant i have all tasks appear in one place rather than have to create a list and assign a search to it
- no sub tasks and sub projects
- no calendar where i can drag and drop.

sorry, rtm. we have to part ways for sometime. im letting you go - if we really love each other, well find each other once again.
Posted at 6:43pm on January 7, 2008
lukaszon says:
I'm agree with you about:
bpatils says: "rtm has piled on a long list of tasks that seems to overwhelm rather than simplify. (...)"
......that's true if you tray to use it without any system.

You could found a lot of idea about how to use RTM at forums. Maybe you should look at GTD and RTM?

bpatil, you know why RTM is great? Because it's flexible and this is not big problem to fit it to expectation.

Posted 16 years ago
bpatil says:
there are any number of gtd systems out there, that do not present the same complexity of use. take todoist for example. the ease of us is infinitely greater.

however, i have an open mind. pls do help.
Posted 16 years ago
lukaszon says:
RTM is a tool, quite great tool but without system it'll be still only a tool.

What about GTD? Read the David Allen's book first (twice!) then try to find the best system for you and adjust it.

Look here:
http://gtd.marvelz.com/blog/2007/02/26/10-simple-tips-to-start-getting-things-done/
Posted 16 years ago
bpatil says:
@lukaszon - i appreciate your patience and will read david allen and other gtd material. let me state however, that i have a decent system going (not necessarily defined and structured - too much structure can kill the fun).

the reason i turned online is not wanting to waste paper on postis and the poor flexibility of MS outlook.
Posted 16 years ago
lukaszon says:
bpatil - Who told you that GTD is needed paper and M$ Outlook? Probably we read another sources.

But, what is more important - I wish you success with founding your best way to organize yours tasks. GTD isn't perfect, probably any system is.
Now I shut up - maybe another forum's users'll have better idea to you.

:)
Posted 16 years ago
deterb says:
With regards to the period, you can do a search between due dates.

With edits, there are keyboard shortcuts for almost everything, and the only thing I use the mouse for is to move tasks between the 3 normal lists I use.

With regards to the tasks in certain places, you are sortof contradicting yourself. I use three lists - inbox, projects, and tasks. I use inbox for everything new, process it, put it into projects and tasks. Projects have subtasks and priorty 1 and are all prefixed with +. Subprojects have prefix -. Each project has a unique tag so I can look up everything regarding it.

The calender is another matter entirely. This isn't designed to be a daily planner except for items which need to have actions taken on them. Use outlook, or better yet, Google Calendar to keep track of these and the url field to link between related items.

Its all about making a system to deal with the tasks. Also, to deal with some of the other aspects, you can write your own code to deal with that.
Posted 16 years ago
bpatil says:
@deterb

searching is extra effort. other apps do this more elegantly.

shortcuts are something i could try

projects can have subtasks, but at only one level. todoist offers infinite number of sub task levels. rtm hates subtasks far as i can tell. why prefix and suffix. why not easier mechanisms?

multiple apps do a neat job of the calendar. you can long around for ideas for implemntations.

i do have a system. shd i change my system to adapt to rtm or be allowed to change rtm to match my system? im well past the stage of writing code.

like i mentioned elsewhere, im a sales guy (ah the horror in your eyes) looking for a convenient app to track my tasks. if rtm were to find mass acceptance, it will need to co-opt the likes of me (not necessarily me, but like me).
Posted 16 years ago
deterb says:
@bpatil

I see where you are coming from. I just wanted to let you know possible resolutions to your problem. Good luck in finding an application for yourself.
Posted 16 years ago
This topic has now been closed automatically due to a lack of responses in the past 90 days.