Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

Any way to set a start date?

alasnik says:
I checked out RTM a year ago or so and remember that I was quite impressed... but also bummed that it didn't allow for creating events that show up at a later date.

For instance, a friend's bday is on May 19, and I want to remind myself at May 1 to buy a gift... but I don't need that task showing up all the time before then! :)

Alas, it seems that this functionality has not yet been implemented, am I right? I did a search for "start date" in the FAQs and this forum and came up with no hits :(

Thanks in advance for letting me know what the status is on this issue!

Regards,
Adam
Posted at 2:10am on January 5, 2008
(closed account) says:
While it's not entirely ideal, you can use smart lists to accomplish this. You can have a smart list that searches for tasks due within the next week...

example:
dueWithin:"1 week of today" and dueBefore:"today"

The second piece checks for overdue tasks.
Posted 16 years ago
(closed account) says:
...and actually that should be "OR dueBefore:today"
Posted 16 years ago
alasnik says:
Ah, yeah, after I posted this I remembered about smartlists. But some things (being planning for trip to Germany) need to happen way more than a week in advance whereas other things (buy a gift) usually only need a week or two. Smartlists aren't very useful.

I know expressed this about a year ago when I was similarly bummed and dumbfounded about the lack of this feature, but I'll somewhat rudely do so again ;)

- is it a technical limitation somehow?
- are there really so few of us that want the feature?

... guess I'll check back in another year. It just amazes me that RTM has so much other coolness (accessibility everywhere, heck, even offline with Google Gears!) that a tasks feature that Outlook has had for a decade isn't part of the mix :(
Posted 16 years ago
ranbarton Power Poster says:
These smart lists can get very subtle, if you wish. E.g., you can see priority 1 tasks a month ahead, p2 tasks two weeks ahead, p3 in 5 days, and p0 with 1 day. You can use time estimates or tags as well, to make sure you don't blindside yourself.

Speaking strictly for myself, I have never missed the start date attribute that is discussed so often here.
Posted 16 years ago
alasnik says:
Oh, and I forgot to say... thanks, we.kanes, for the prompt response :)
Posted 16 years ago
(closed account) says:
Glad to help...well, sort of help. I've been trying to find a balance myself - I haven't nailed down my organizational method yet in RTM. I went all out Smart lists for awhile, then changed my mind...now I'm just undecided. The big thing I don't like about smart lists like I described above is that if you were to create a task while viewing the list, it would automatically disappear and you'd have to go hunt it down to edit it.
Posted 16 years ago
raymond.bergmark Power Poster says:
As for hunting down new items, I have a smartlist that searches for newly added items. Quite easy to find the task that just disappeared from view.
But nicer still would be that the task somehow lingered even though it didn't meet the smartlist criteria, maybe because it's selected, once you let go of the selection it would disappear.
Posted 16 years ago
raymond.bergmark Power Poster says:
Lwallach has some ideas in this area where you tag tasks with zzz1d etc. Searching the forums inside RTM doesn't give any results, but try Google instead.
Posted 16 years ago
(closed account) says:
@rajjan: Right, it's simple to add a smart list like you suggest...but I take a minimalistic approach to my method in RTM and I would prefer to use the fewest number of lists that I possibly can to efficiently and effectively manage my tasks.

Anyway, I now have my few smart lists defined in such a way that once I enter a new task all of the fields I need to keep it in view are filled in.
Posted 16 years ago
mdcowles says:
The notion of a start date is important to me, but I just use the due date for that. To use Adam's example, I'd set a task with a due date of May 1 and put "Get birthday present by May 19" in the text. I'd give something that was likely to take less time a due date closer to its real due date.

That means that lots of things are listed as overdue, but I don't mind. My "normal" view is a smart list that's "due:today or dueBefore:today".

Regards,
Matt

Posted 16 years ago
csesget says:
ranbarton AND mdcowles:
These are helpful suggestions. Thanks for sharing them.
Posted 16 years ago
This topic has now been closed automatically due to a lack of responses in the past 90 days.