Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

Repeat question

odedp says:
I would like to create a task due on January 1st which should repeat on March 1st, May 1st, July 1st, September 1st and November 1st of every year, namely repeat on the 1st day of every second month.
However, if I postpone this task a day or two (say from January 1st to January 3rd) and then mark it as "completed" the next repeat is due on March 3rd!!
I want all repeats' due dates to be the 1st of the relevant month regardless how often I postpone the current task.
Is this possible? If it is, how do I accomplish this?

Thank you,
Oded.
Posted at 10:33am on January 2, 2008
raymond.bergmark Power Poster says:
Check repeat interval, should be "every", not "after".
Posted 16 years ago
odedp says:
rajjan,
I never used "after." All I've tried was various versions of "every" but nothing helps:(

Oded
Posted 16 years ago
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
Oded, for this repeating schedule, postponing a task changes its actual due date (and therefore the due date that it will repeat according to in the future). It's not possible to postpone a task and keep it on its original repeating schedule in this case. Hope this helps.
Posted 16 years ago
odedp says:
emily,
Thanks for the explanation:)
I wonder why what I need works if the repeat period is "every month" and why it doesn't in case of repeat "every 2 months."
Anyway after reading what you said I know at least that what I need can't be done:(
Thanks again for your help.

Oded.
Posted 16 years ago
klaasdepoel says:
Hi,

I have the same issue. I need to do something ever two weeks on monday (say, putting the trash bin on the side of the road). Completing the task today means I will definitely forget it in two weeks, resulting in ... well you get the picture.

So hereby my arguments for an enhancement request.
Posted 16 years ago
iglop says:
I have also found this behavior frustrating. Just because I postpone the current task by 3 days does not mean I want to postpone all future occurences of that task by 3 days.

This would not be too bad if there was a way to set a repeat interval as "Every March on the 1st day" but alas, there seems to be no way to do that. I keep finding that I need to delete the task and re-enter it to fix this issue and this has proved painful.

Outlook solves this problem by splitting the task (if it is a recurring task) into two tasks when you modify the due date. One task is non-recurring and has the modified due date while the other task is recurring and has a due date of one interval beyond the initial due date of the original task.
Posted 16 years ago
This topic has now been closed automatically due to a lack of responses in the past 90 days.