Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

Problem with RTM for Gmail - unable to change FF tabs

jonmower says:
After installing RTM for gmail I've experienced the following problem: upon returning to Firefox after a period of inactivity I am unable to change tabs. I have to restart Firefox to return to normal functionality.
Posted at 5:28pm on December 19, 2007
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
jonmower, thanks for letting us know. Would it be possible to let me know which other Firefox extensions you have installed (if any)? It's possible that our extension and another are conflicting in some way. Also, which version of Firefox are you using? Thanks!
Posted 16 years ago
jonmower says:
FF 2.0.0.11

Adblock
Bugmenot
Google Toolbar
Greasemonkey
Verisign's OpenID Seat Belt
WebmailCompose

It looks like inactivity isn't an issue but rather just the passage of time. Shortly after launching FF, tab switching is sluggish (a few seconds delay). The delay seems to get worse with time until it is effectively impossible to change tabs. FF CPU usage becomes higher than usual (maxing out a core on a dual core).

On a different machine, I'm experimenting with different combinations of extensions.

Posted 16 years ago
doughywilson says:
I have the same problem. When I click on a new tab in FF, it takes a good 5 seconds for the tab to actually switch. It slows the browser way down.

I am using Firefox 2.0.0.11 on Windows XP.

Other extensions that I am using:
-Foxmarks 2.0.34
-FoxyProxy 2.6.2
-Google Notebook 1.0.0.18
-IE Tab 1.3.3.20070528
-Greasemonkey 0.7.20070607.0 (but it is currently disabled)

I am really hopeful for this new extension. If you can work out the bugs, it will be really awesome. Thanks for the work.
Posted 16 years ago
jonmower says:
Initially FF CPU usage is low, fluctuating between 0 and 20 % and tab switching is OK.

After about 3 minutes, FF CPU usage is steadily at about 50 % but tab switching is still OK.

After about 6 minutes, FF CPU usage is at 80 %, tab switching still OK.

After about 7 minutes, FF CPU usage is at 90 %, tab switching seems to be slightly delayed.

After about 8 minutes, FF CPU usage is at 99 %, tab switching is very sluggish.
Posted 16 years ago
jonmower says:
With RTM off, FF CPU usage is at 0 and memory usage is at 68,000 K. With RTM on, memory usage was steadily growing as the CPU usage increased and was up to abut 128,000 K after 10 minutes before I turned off RTM and re-started.
Posted 16 years ago
jonmower says:
With all extensions off except RTM, FF CPU usage was at 99 % and memory usage at 120,000 K after 10 minutes and tab switching was dead...so it doesn't seem to be a conflict with another active extension.
Posted 16 years ago
doughywilson says:
I did the same thing as jonmower, and left firefox open while the RTM+Gmail extension was enabled. After about 10 minutes, half of my CPU resources were being used, and I started to notice significant lag in firefox scrolling and tabs. Then, I closed the gmail tab to see if the resources would be freed, and they were. My CPU immediately dropped down to close to 1%, and firefox became responsive again. Here's a screenshot of my task manager when I closed the gmail tab running the RTM extension.

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z216/doughywilson/RTM_bug.jpg
Posted 16 years ago
Thank you both for your testing. It doesn't sound like another extension (thanks for helping to rule this out!).

We're trying to figure out what you might have in common with your set ups -- we've been trying to reproduce this on our end, but unfortunately haven't been able to as yet.

One thing that the extension does regularly is check for your Google Calendar events and your contacts in Gmail -- would you happen to have a large number of events/contacts in Calendar/Gmail?

To see if this checking is what's causing the problem, would it be possible to try turning off the auto-suggest features for events and contacts? (These two options are available in Gmail under 'Settings' then 'Tasks', at the bottom -- maybe try turning off each one individually and see if it makes a difference?)

Thanks for your help -- I hope we can track this down soon!
Posted 16 years ago
ranbarton Power Poster says:
I too am having FF grind to a halt with the RTM/Gmail extension installed. I have a lot of extensions, so I am not going to take the time to narrow it down right now, but if you need further traingulation, I belive I can help.
Posted 16 years ago
ranbarton Power Poster says:
I have ca. 800 contacts in Gmail and more events than I can possibly count in Gcal, if that is helpful information. I will turn off auto-suggestions and see how that goes.
Posted 16 years ago
jonmower says:
400 contacts
normal number of events

seems OK with both autosuggests off

next will try one or the other
Posted 16 years ago
doughywilson says:
Emily,

I believe the problem is related to the contacts/calendar issue that you suggested. I have about 300 contacts and tons of google calendar events. I turned off the auto-suggest features, and the CPU hogging appears to be gone. I will leave it on for a while, and post up if I see any problems.
Posted 16 years ago
jonmower says:
auto-suggest for gcal is the pig

everything is OK as long as that is turned off
Posted 16 years ago
Thanks to everyone for this info! It does look like the checking for Google Calendar events in particular was causing problems -- we've now put in a fix for this that should hopefully stop this problem from happening (reloading Gmail should fix this). It should be safe to turn on auto-suggest if you'd like to use this feature :)

If any problems continue, please let us know.

Thanks!
Posted 16 years ago
This topic has now been closed automatically due to a lack of responses in the past 90 days.