Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

Keyboard shortcut to move an item to another list

(closed account) says:
Just curious how you all process your inbox. Is there a way to quickly move an item from one list (inbox) to another? Is there a keyboard shortcut.
Posted at 9:51pm on December 10, 2007
raymond.bergmark Power Poster says:
For this reason (there is no such shortcut that I know of) I keep almost all my tasks in the Inbox. I have smartlists checking that they have been processed (tag(s), context, time estimate) so there's no need to move them.

I only move some tasks to 2 other smartlists: Later/Sometime and Deferred.
Posted 16 years ago
(closed account) says:
Can you share some more about your smartlists? How do you use them? When you dump your brain? How do you go about organizing. I'm getting ready for a brain dump and I want to make sure I have everything in place. Thanks!
Posted 16 years ago
raymond.bergmark Power Poster says:
Before you empty your brains and everything else into RTM it's wise to think of where it will end up. Will you use several lists and if so which? Priorities? Due dates? Many questions. However, you can change everything at a later point if you want, RTM is very flexible. Especially using multi-edit mode allows for major restructuring.

Basically you only need to enter the task name and your set. Most people add lots of additional info but you don't need to.

That said, I use smartlists to look at my tasks in various ways.

Some are for checking, others for different contexts (locations). One is for stale tasks that have been around for a long time.

I have one for exporting tasks to Google Calendar, another one for tasks with notes, one for urgent tasks, one for recently added tasks etc.

I have a few smartlists only used within other smartlists (wish I could hide those). Have a look at www.rememberthemilk.com/help/answers/search/advanced.rtm for all the search options.

Using smartlists within smartlists allow you to create building blocks that could be used several times.

Good luck!
Posted 16 years ago
ranbarton Power Poster says:
I keep all of my tasks in one list (called | to be as narrow as possible). I then have a number of smart lists that are pretty obvious (money stuff, overdue recurring, work list, home list, next 7 days, etc.). The lists that really help me are the ones that show me untagged items, or items with no time estimate, or some other verifier. I use these to make sure every task carries sufficient metadata to pop-up in the smartists I use for action purposes.

Smartlists are just amazing, and can be used in so many ways. They are the heart of RTM.
Posted 16 years ago
This topic has now been closed automatically due to a lack of responses in the past 90 days.