Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

Is it possible to send SMS from your phone?

ronaldp423 says:
Does it have to be email or can it be SMS from your phone to Remember The Milk? Would it matter?
Posted at 5:48pm on October 28, 2005
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
As long as your message ends up at your Remember The Milk email address, it doesn't matter how it gets there :)

If your phone doesn't support email directly, sometimes your network will have an SMS-to-email feature that allows you to send emails by sending messages to a particular number.
Posted 18 years ago
devin.oconnor says:
The problem with the sms-to-email option is that for some reason the line breaks disappear. This makes the "T: L: D: etc." formating unusable (I think). Is there any way around this??? Perhaps html? I have Cingular.

Posted 18 years ago
nbr says:
I also had some problems with formatting, but have been able to get it to work, at least for now. Here's what I figured out:

First, obviously, you have to separate the lines with a line feed. When composing an SMS, my phone (an LG4500) allows you to insert characters from a multi-screen "symbols" menu. On the last screen is an "LF" character. This is a line feed. Maybe other phones don't have that, but ... it's worth checking, I guess.

Second, it also seems to be important where you put the spaces. So far, I've had success when putting an empty space after the colon, and NO empty space before the line feed.

How I've been doing this (and it's really helpful): I saved a canned text message with the following text:

T:
D:
R:
E:
---

(with a space after each colon). When I want to email a new task from my phone, I send an SMS to my RTM address, call up this canned message, and enter the appropriate information, being careful about where the cursor goes.
Posted 18 years ago
nbr says:
What I meant to say was, in the canned text, it looks like this:

T:[space][linefeed]
D:[space][linefeed]

...etc.
Posted 18 years ago
devin.oconnor says:
Unfortunately I don't think my phone has a line-feed character.
Doh!!!!! I'll keep experimenting though. Thanks for your help.
Posted 18 years ago
This topic has now been closed automatically due to a lack of responses in the past 90 days.