Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

transferred iCal events all one hour

michaeldcohen says:
Using iCalendar for events I can move appointments from the RTM smart list where I collect them to my mac calendar. But it seems that no matter what the time estimate in RTM for the event, iCal shows it to be 1 hour. Am I missing something? tags and notes come through fine, but the time estimate is somehow being converted from any value to 1 hour.
Is it possibly a bug corrected in newer iCal versions? I'm running 2.0.4 (1055).
Posted at 10:35pm on June 14, 2007
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
michaeldcohen, with the iCalendar Events feed, we set the duration of each event to be 1hr so that all tasks display on the calendar. The reason for this is that not all tasks may have time estimates, and that the time estimate for a task isn't necessarily the same as an event duration (e.g. if a report is due at 9am and has a time estimate of 6hrs, this doesn't mean that it should show as an event for the 6hrs immediately before or after the due date -- the report may be worked on at any time). Hope this helps!
Posted 16 years ago
michaeldcohen says:
Thanks Emily. I can see that you are kind of stuck. There really needs be a distinction between event duration and task duration. And you are running a task management system, not one primarily for events (appointments).
The setup does mean that I can't easily use RTM to enter appointments into my iCalendar, since I have many that aren't 1 hour. And I can understand that introducing a clearer distinction of events from tasks would be a burden on the code and the users.
I like the interface and other functionality you've provided in RTM, so I'll still keep using it, and just live with less integration than I'd hoped for.
Posted 16 years ago
This topic has now been closed automatically due to a lack of responses in the past 90 days.