Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

start dates and birthday cards

jordomenz says:
Could someone explain the exact purpose of a start date?

This is how I have currently set things up, but I'm not sure it will work correctly.

I have a list for mailing birthday cards to past clients -- I have it set so their actual bday is the due date and then the start date is a few days prior, so I have time to get the card in the mail and it arrive on their bday.

After reading some threads it sounds like this may not be the correct way to use start dates. Could someone assist?
Posted at 9:17pm on May 19, 2017
martingchapman says:
There are many ways of using Start Dates, the one you describe for Birthdays is perfectly valid.

Basically, I use Start Dates to hide tasks from view until it is time to start work on them.

So if you have a task that has to be completed by a specific date, make that the Due Date.
Then, thinking about when you need to start work on that task in order to complete it by the Due Date, set a Start Date that will give you enough time to complete the work by the Due Date.
Then set up a Smart List that checks for tasks with an "overdue/current" Start Date AND an "overdue/current/future" Due Date, this list is your "Action Now" list of tasks to be working on.

As with most of the features in RTM the key is how you set up the Smart Lists to organise, show and/or hide your tasks.

Don't worry too much about right or wrong ways to do things.
RTM, is flexible so you can set it up to suite the way you want to work.

Hope this helps.
Posted 6 years ago
This topic has now been closed automatically due to a lack of responses in the past 90 days.