Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

How to drag and drop to reorder tasks, not create subtasks

meganraby says:
I can't seem to drag and drop to reorder tasks. As I drag, tasks below are highlighted and if I drop I get a message that I can't create subtasks without upgrading to pro (although I am not trying to create a subtask). There is no space between existing tasks in which to drop the task I'm trying to move. I know others have posted on this, but I don't see an explanation of how to resolve the issue.
Posted at 4:33pm on March 23, 2017
andrewski (Remember The Milk) says:
Hi meganraby,
You'll need to make sure your list is sorted by drag and drop first, which will cause the app to open up that space you're looking for.

If that's not working, you may want to contact us so we can discuss some specifics, get a screenshot, etc. Thanks!
Posted 7 years ago
ravitodo says:
I have the same problem as meganraby.
I think many other users have reported it.
My primary interest is to sort tasks manually by using drag and drop.
I can't do this reliably or quickly because often a subtask is created unless I am very very careful. This takes the fun and functionalty out of drag and drop.
This was not happening obviously before subtasks was enabled in RTM ie before I upgraded it.

Thank you
Posted 6 years ago
Hi ravitodo,
Sorry to hear you're seeing this too. Are you seeing a space open up between tasks to drop a task in that position? Is that working but it's too sensitive and sometimes creates a subtask? Thanks for the details so we can look into this!
Posted 6 years ago
ravitodo says:
Thanks. Yes I am seeing a space but its too sensitive and *most of the time* creates a subtask. Since one has to be very careful it reduces productivity.
Posted 6 years ago
Thanks for clarifying; that's very helpful feedback, and I've passed that on to our development team.
Posted 6 years ago
ravitodo says:
1) At present I am not using subtasks.
A temporary solution (for me personally) would be to disable subtasks.
Subtasks feature was enabled when I changed to Pro, so I guess reverting to basic RTM would eliminate subtasks.
However I should not lose any data.

2) A possible way to lower sensitivity would be for a task to become a subtask only if it is taken atleast halfway into the task above or below it. At present if the task goes inside the task above/ below it even 0.01 mm, it becomes a subtask.

3) There are some other applications on mobile and windows platforms that do not have this problem. Your team may want to look at other apps with drag and drop
Posted 6 years ago
mckenzieaj says:
For newbies... as well as the sort order under file-Preferences, also check the sort order in the gear wheel options at top right for that list.... I missed this at first look when I was unable to drag and drop
Posted 6 years ago
musujyay says:
I'm having the same problem as ravitodo and meganraby.
Posted 6 years ago
Hi musujyay,
Just to make sure, you're seeing that it does work but is too sensitive for it to work reliably for you?
Posted 6 years ago
This topic has now been closed automatically due to a lack of responses in the past 90 days.