Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

how does duplicating repeating tasks work

nah.why says:
Duplicating repeating tasks has often created for me a new set of repeating tasks. I'm trying to use Mark Forster Getting Everything Done method, in which you work on a task, dont finish it, mark it complete, and duplicate for later. I find this very useful for big tasks that need several work cycles, as well as for tasks that involve several steps including checking up later. It's the duplicate part I need help with for repeating tasks.
Posted at 8:08pm on March 11, 2017
andrewski (Remember The Milk) says:
Hi nah.why,
Yes, duplicating would copy a new task, so it would be a separate repeating series: changes to one of the tasks wouldn't affect the duplicated task.

I'm not familiar with that method (going on my list to read about!) but it seems like repeating and duplicating may not mix well depending on your uses for repeating tasks.

Keep us posted on what you're finding when these are duplicated, any problems you're seeing!
Posted 7 years ago
nah.why says:
Consider this use case:
Renew subscription every year, due today 03/15/2017.
I have to contact them to ask a question before renewal.
So I do contact them.
Want to mark that task complete, and yet also have this task due 1-2 days to followup on their response.
And this is a task that repeat every year.
I suppose if the sub-task is the same every year, I can just use sub-tasks. Haven't tried out sub-tasks yet.
But contacting them might be a this-year only issue.

So in that case what would you suggest? Just another, new task, outside of the repeating task, for contacting them?
Posted 7 years ago
andrewski (Remember The Milk) says:
Hi nah.why,
I can see how duplicating would be useful in that situation. Yes, another new task or a subtask might help in that case as well, or as another option you could postpone the task itself if you wanted to put it off a bit before completing it.
Posted 7 years ago
This topic has now been closed automatically due to a lack of responses in the past 90 days.