Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

Projects, Smart Lists and Subtasks

funnytick says:
Hello community, Hello RTM-Team

I have the following system set-up:
I use tasks with sub tasks as projects. Because I only want to see tasks in these projects that are actionable, I tag with "actionable" accordingly (so I can easily sort these actionable tasks from the rest).
But this comes with one problem: If I complete all actionable tasks of a project I must reevaluate a project and define the next actionable tasks. Now finding these projects is the one thing I am struggeling with. Of course I could grind all projects and do that manually... but I rather not ;)

Basicly I am looking for something like this: (not working, only example)
hasSubtasks:true NOT anySubtaskTag:actionable

Is something like this possible? And if not, I am interessted for an alternative way to handle projects? How do you handle projects?

Thanks and Greetings
Posted at 9:27pm on October 31, 2016
azclaire says:
hasSubtasks:true NOT tag:actionable

Luckily, we only need one set of tags!
Posted 7 years ago
azclaire says:
Oops. I did that totally wrong. It is looking for tag: actionable at the project level which isn't what you want at all.

Retreating to my corner & getting ready for round 2.
Posted 7 years ago
robert.ward says:
Unfortunately this isn't currently possible.

When you do a search in RTM it is only looking to see if tasks (any task whether a parent task or sub-task) match the search.

There is no way to search for a parent task and specify the attributes of its sub-tasks. At least not yet...one can hope!

The way I handle larger projects is to give them a start date so I see them on my "work" list, even if they aren't due right away. Then I just review them and see what subtasks are there and need to be worked on. My search is:

list:work AND (dueBefore:tom OR startBefore:"4 days of today")

So anytime I add a larger project to my work list I simply give it a start date of today (or maybe a few days ahead if I know I won't get to it today).
Posted 7 years ago
This topic has now been closed automatically due to a lack of responses in the past 90 days.