Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

Issues when traveling to another time zone

coasterguy53433 says:
Traveling is always a big pain because of the way RTM handles time zones.

1) The RTM web app detects that I'm in a new time zone, but the mobile app doesn't. So when I land somewhere and take my iPhone out of Airplane Mode, all of my task due dates are thrown-off instantly.

2) When I get to my hotel, I update the time zone on my laptop. I open the RTM web app in Chrome, and it (correctly) detects that I'm in a new time zone. It gives me the option to update the time zone, so I click Yes. It takes a very long time -- maybe 20 minutes. During this time, there's no progress bar. It's not possible to interact with my tasks. After a little while, Chrome shows a message that the page has become unresponsive. If I just let it run for awhile (20 minutes or so), eventually it becomes responsive. There's no message to confirm that the change has completed -- I just have to keep trying until I can actually click on a task.

(How I use RTM: all of my tasks have a due date. I generally don't use due times. I have the latest version of Chrome on Windows 7. I have the latest version of the RTM app for iOS. I'm on the general release for RTM, not the beta/fast track.)

I am super dependent on RTM when I travel -- please help!
Posted at 1:51pm on September 15, 2016
andrewski (Remember The Milk) says:
Hi mwyadartm,
Sorry to hear about all of this! We certainly don’t want to cause trouble when you’re traveling; our apologies.

Regarding the detection, this is only currently available in the web app. It would be possible to make this a bit easier by changing your timezone in the web app’s Account Settings from Safari. It may not be as easy to navigate the web app from iOS Safari, but I find that’s a nice thing to do while taxiing in the airplane. :)

That may not work if there’s a problem processing your tasks though—that’s my impression from your “unresponsive script” error you described.

To that end, would it be possible to let us know how many tasks your All Tasks view says you have, both incomplete and completed? You can either post that here or contact us to discuss it privately.

Thanks!
Posted 7 years ago
coasterguy53433 says:
Thanks much. The unresponsive thing happens every time.

I have 800 active tasks and 2300 completed tasks.

Eventually, it works. But there's no progress bar and no message to confirm when the updates have been completed.
Posted 7 years ago
radek50 says:
I have the same problem. Application is useless in travel. I have my desktop in one time zone and take my laptop with Android phone and tablet to travel. ALL applications are showing different task due dates or they get double, or I am unable to change dates on them... You totally missed it!!!!
Posted 7 years ago
drwmax says:
I still don't understand what RTM is trying to do. I fly from the East Coast to Mountain zone. I change my phone to mountain zone. On the phone, many many due dates instantly switch days. Why does this happen? I don't use due times. Is this because due times are auto set to midnight? And when I move one hour or two hours they show up as 11 pm or 10 pm the day before??
Posted 7 years ago
jason.shafrin says:
Agree. I have the same problem. I never use the time feature for RTM but just the due date day. Thus, shifting the hours...as long as the tasks dont' shift days, that's all I care about.
Posted 7 years ago
This topic has now been closed automatically due to a lack of responses in the past 90 days.