Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

Tasks with recurring subtasks

tjmurphy66 says:
I'm having a conceptual problem with recurring tasks with subtasks. I think RTM is behaving as designed so (a) I'm not keen on the design but (b) maybe others can help with alternative approaches please.
Scenario: I need to keep a "blog" thing fresh with new content. I have a task that is set to recur "after 7 days" to remind me to create some content. I've been adding sub-tasks with content ideas as they occur to me. The sub-tasks generally have no due date (I'll just pick one when I want to write about it). As I post an article I'll complete the sub-task (the content idea) and also complete the main task (the reminder). However, completing the main task is regenerating all the sub-tasks (including the ones I specifically completed).
What I'd like to happen: I'd like the main task to recur but only (re)generate the incomplete sub-tasks.
Currently I'm going in and deleting all the extra sub-tasks now, which does work but it's a bit of a pain.

Thanks
Posted at 1:35pm on August 22, 2016
andrewski (Remember The Milk) says:
Hi tjmurphy66,
This is current behavior: a repeating task's subtasks will regenerate so they are available each time.

Aside from using subtasks in this way, you may prefer to collect these tasks in a list or with a tag, and then to use the repeating task to keep you regular on posting, and then to refer to the separate tasks for completing ideas.

Another option would be to use a note that you have in your "post to my blog" task with ideas in it, that you can edit to update each time you post an idea.

Let us know if we can help with anything else!
Posted 7 years ago
tjmurphy66 says:
Thanks for that. I liked the idea of keeping the ideas together with the reminder, just felt cleaner to me. I've never really gotten on with tags, I start with a nice compact, efficient set and then it just grows and grows (my bad) until I have a big cull and start all over again :)
Posted 7 years ago
This topic has now been closed automatically due to a lack of responses in the past 90 days.