Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

Repeating with Start Dates

jhollington says:
I'm quite impressed with all of the new enhancements to RTM that have suddenly appeared, and it's encouraged me to come back and take a closer look, and it's definitely a more powerful app now in a lot of ways.

One thing that I was disappointed to see hasn't really been addressed with the addition of Start Dates, however, is how repeating tasks are handled. It seems that while we can add a Start Date to tasks, repeating tasks still require a _Due Date_ and only operate based on that.

A repeating task without a due date will get one the next time it repeats, and a repeating task set to "repeat after" (as opposed to "repeat every") doesn't even cause the start date to be changed to the next repeat interval.

About the only thing that seems to work as expected here is that "repeat every" does adjust both start and due dates accordingly, but again you can't use it without a due date.

I obviously can't speak for everybody, but now that both start and due dates are in the picture, I had expected that repeating tasks with only a start date would simply adjust that start date, leaving the due date field blank. Similarly, I'd think that "every" and "after" would both affect the start date, even when a due date is specified — it doesn't make much sense for a repeating task to stay on my radar and just push the due date out farther into the future.

The ability to use start dates with repeating tasks without due dates is a key feature for me, as it allows for low-priority repeating tasks — things that need to be re-done at regular intervals, but don't need to be done on a specific day. The lack of this capability was probably my number one disappointment with RTM several years ago, and I had hoped that now that Start Dates were here it would be resolved, but without proper repeat behaviour, start dates aren't nearly as useful for me as they could be.
Posted at 2:09pm on April 21, 2016
andrewski (Remember The Milk) says:
Hi jhollington,
Thanks for your feedback here! I've passed this on to the development team.

Let us know if there's anything else we can help with in the meantime.
Posted 7 years ago
This topic has now been closed automatically due to a lack of responses in the past 90 days.