Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

A recurring task with subtasks does not well handle changes to subtasks

(closed account) says:
Suppose I have a task set to reoccur every weekday. Now suppose the task has 12 subtasks under it that are undated. Now let's assume today is Monday. I see the tasks on today's tasks and it includes 12 subtasks. That's good. I also see the task listed under Tuesday with 12 subtasks. Again, not a problem. Here is the problem though. Suppose I add a new subtask on Monday's version. For today, it will now indicate there are 13 subtasks. For Tuesday, it will still indicate there are 12 subtasks. This gets worse though. If I "complete" the task for today, the additional task added is lost and Tuesday's task still shows just 12 subtasks. The problem isn't just adding subtasks, it's editing the subtasks period. Any edits are lost. The only way I can make this work is to mark/delete Tuesday's tasks and then "complete" Monday's version.
Posted at 3:40pm on March 25, 2016
andrewski (Remember The Milk) says:
Hi taskmachine,
Thanks for reporting these specific circumstances. I’ve added this to our list to investigate.

Let us know if we can help with anything else!
Posted 7 years ago
robert.ward says:
@taskmachine the reason this happens is because as soon as the date rolls around to Monday, the Tuesday task has been created in RTM. If you had added the new Subtask to Monday's task BEFORE the Tuesday task was created then the subtask would also be there when the Tuesday task was created.

The workaround for this may be to change the repeat to "after" instead of "every." That way Tuesday's task is not created until you have completed Monday's task.
Posted 7 years ago
This topic has now been closed automatically due to a lack of responses in the past 90 days.