Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

Time estimates in subtasks not summing properly?

iamtheiconoclast says:
If I create a list with 2 tasks, and each of those tasks has 1 subtask, then the total time estimate calculated for the list is the sum of the time estimates of all four tasks - both top level tasks plus both subtasks. So far, so good - I have needed this for years!

However, if I give sub-subtasks to the subtasks, or anything below that depth, then the list stops including those time estimates in its total calculation. This is a major problem for me and I'm trying to figure out if it's a bug, a feature, an oversight, or what...
Posted at 5:57am on March 12, 2016
andrewski (Remember The Milk) says:
Hi iamtheiconoclast,
Thanks for reporting this; I’ve added it to our list to investigate. Sorry for the inconvenience!

Let us know if there's anything else we can help with!
Posted 8 years ago
kaizentric says:
I noticed that list summaries include both the time estimates of top level tasks and their subtasks separately (additvely) in it's summary. Conceptually this is redundant, as the subtask estimate should <= to the top level task estimate. I stumbled upon this thread because I noticed that the time estimate fields of top level tasks themselves do not update when their subtasks contain time estimates. Perhaps the top level task estimate field could default to a manual entry field until a user inputs a time estimate for a subtask, then the top level task estimate could change to "sum of subtask estimate mode" and notify the user with a little pop up.
Posted 8 years ago
This topic has now been closed automatically due to a lack of responses in the past 90 days.