Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

Excluding lists from a smart search--web app

meatlessmarathoner says:
Forgive me if this has already been asked. I didn't see any topics here.

I have a smart search set up with most of what's in the "All tasks"--except for a couple of lists. For example, I have a shared list called "grocery list" with each item in my list as a task. I don't want my grocery list showing up in my to-do smart search. Is there a way to exclude a list from a smart search--like the way you can exclude a tag? Maybe something like "NOT list:[insert list name here]"?

The only solution I could think of is to also tag each item with "grocery" and use include "NOT tag:grocery" in my to-do list. But that doesn't do what I want, because smart searches aren't sharable. :(

Any thoughts?
Posted at 5:23pm on November 5, 2015
andrewski (Remember The Milk) says:
Hi gooeydoug,
You can do this with NOT as you describe, so an example of "all tasks except for these lists" would be something like:

NOT list:"Grocery List" AND NOT list:Personal

You could also search for the following:

NOT (list:"Grocery List" OR list:Personal)

Either of those should work, but let us know if you have any further questions!
Posted 8 years ago
Hi gooeydoug,
You can do this with NOT as you describe, so an example of "all tasks except for these lists" would be something like:

NOT list:"Grocery List" AND NOT list:Personal

You could also search for the following:

NOT (list:"Grocery List" OR list:Personal)

Either of those should work, but let us know if you have any further questions!
Posted 8 years ago
meatlessmarathoner says:
Thanks for the quick reply! That worked. I had a feeling that was it, but there isn't a "NOT" option in the first item on the advanced search settings page (http://www.rememberthemilk.com/help/?ctx=basics.search.advanced) like in the tag: section. I'm not sure why I didn't try it first. Maybe laziness? :)
Posted 8 years ago
I'm glad that helped. Thanks for the feedback about using the advanced search page too; I've passed that along to the rest of the team.

Let us know if we can help with anything else!
Posted 8 years ago
This topic has now been closed automatically due to a lack of responses in the past 90 days.