Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

Next instance of recurring tasks doesn't appear

(closed account) says:
Hi all.

I have a number of tasks that I want to repeat each month. In my past experience with RTM recurring events, as long as I set my repeat interval to 'every...' as opposed to 'after...', then my task list automatically generates both the initial occurrence of the event AND the next occurrence. As an example, if I set the task to repeat 'every month' starting January 1, then that task will show up on my task list both on January 1 and on February 1.

With all of that said, for some reason this no longer appears to be the case for me. Instead, when I create the event it only creates the initial one and no others. The reason this is a problem is that what's happening now as a result is that the future occurrences are subject to any postponing that occurs. So, if I don't get to the initial task on January 1 and instead postpone it to, and ultimately complete it on, January 2, the next event then pops up in my list for February 2, which is not what I want.

I know that this functionality is what would be expected with tasks that I set with a repeat interval of 'after...' but I have checked numerous times and can confirm that mine are properly set to 'every...'. I know I can also work around this by using a repeat interval of 'every month on the 1st' or something similar, but I want to first understand why this core functionality doesn't appear to be working.

Any thoughts?
Posted at 2:01pm on December 31, 2013
andrewski (Remember The Milk) says:
Hi gsmth00,
Sorry I didn't reply here sooner, but we discussed this by email: the repeats currently won't work this way but you can set your repeat to something more specific, "every month on the 1st" in your example, to keep them on the specific day.

This will only happen if you're modifying and then completing the task before its due date arrives, because that's when the next instance will automatically be generated.

Hope this helps!
Posted 10 years ago
(closed account) says:
Thanks Andrew.

To clarify, are you saying that these recurring task will spawn the next occurrence on the day they are due?

For example, if I set a task for Jan 15 with a repeat interval of 'every...', I won't see a task appear on Feb 15 until Jan 15? Meaning if I postpone or otherwise edit the Jan 15 task before that date, the core task date is effected whereas if I wait to do so until the date it's due, then the next occurence will still appear on Feb 15?

Hope that makes sense. Let me know. Thanks for your help!
Posted 10 years ago
(closed account) says:
BTW, the reason I'm asking is that this is not the behavior that I'm seeing currently, so I want to understand if this is the correct/expected behavior.
Posted 10 years ago
andrewski (Remember The Milk) says:
Hi gsmth00,
If I understand your setup correctly, what you're saying is how it should work, but I'm curious as to what you're seeing! :)
Posted 10 years ago
(closed account) says:
Hi there Andrew. Thanks as always for the response.

I've done a little more testing and can confirm that the above functionality does appear to be working properly. Sorry for the miscommunication. I think all is well now.
Posted 10 years ago
This topic has now been closed automatically due to a lack of responses in the past 90 days.