Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

Fix max tasks per day

miccaman says:
Is there a way to set a limit of eg. 20 tasks per day.

Can i automate this?
Is there a search query to find those days with more than a given number of tasks. In order to optimize my workflow.

Thanks in advance for any suggestion.
Posted at 3:54pm on November 30, 2012
andrewski (Remember The Milk) says:
Hi miccaman,
There's not currently a search operator to limit the results to a maximum number; sorry. I can certainly understand the benefit!

What may work is to limit the number of tasks that fit a certain Smart List. For example, I have one that shows upcoming tasks as well as undated tasks that are priority 1, and I try to limit those priority 1 tasks to just a few. :)

Hope that helps somewhat!
Posted 11 years ago
miccaman says:
Hi andrewski

Still thinking for a solution to this problem. Would it be possible to set a default minimum task duration so that when the sum of durations exceeds a specified amount of time maybe a tag is added.

So that eg on a daily or weekly basis those could be resheduled for a later date.

Keep them suggestions coming.
Posted 11 years ago
miccaman says:
off topic: i guess " resheduled " should be spelled " rescheduled "
Posted 11 years ago
brendan says:
Hi miccaman,
You're not able to set a default minimum time estimate unfortunately. One thing that may be helpful, however, is that if you do assign time estimates and then search, the web app will show you the total time for all tasks returned by the search.

This may not help you determine which tasks need to be rescheduled, but it might help tell you if you're over the limit for the day, for example.

If you're interested in getting a bit more involved, you could also use our API to build a custom tool as well.

Hope this helps!
Posted 11 years ago
miccaman says:
Hi brendan

Thanks for the tips. For the moment i manage with some extra recurring tasks on fridays:
1. a search on NOT timeEstimate:"> 0" , select them all and add 10 minutes estimated time.
2. i search for dueBefore:monday thats where all the postponed tasks come together, so i reschedule those the low priority ones to a later date.

My goal is to keep the today list under 20 tasks.

I'll check out the API thanks for the tip .

Have a nice weekend

@miccaman

Posted 11 years ago
This topic has now been closed automatically due to a lack of responses in the past 90 days.