Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

best way to...

public225 says:
I have been interested in using an online "to do" list for my family -- myself, wife, kids, and nanny. we have been using paper checklists for years

I want to have "to do's" for each of them that they can **actively** manage (meaning complete). I doubt that at this point they will start a task. Most will be recurring events such as make bed, clean room etc. I suspect that about 10-20 % wil be single items (mostly for my nanny).

most of the to do's assigned to one child will be the same for all the kids and I would like for EACH of them to check off items when each of them complete a task

the to do's to my wife, myself or my nanny will likley not be the same

Nothing in these lists will be private items that the others in the family cannot see

I am wondering -- to set this up for that purpose -- is it "best" to have EACH with their OWN account or can I have them all view my account (at this point there will be NOTHING in my acct they cannot view); in the future if I wanted to have a truely personal to do acct, I would use a different account for me

thoughts??

Posted at 10:34am on August 24, 2006
(closed account) says:
I am a kid (10 yrs) but I use the computer ALL the time (hour or more everyday) so I have my own RTM account. RTM is VERY useful.

I don't know if other kids would be into it as much as me, but it's possible. It might be hard for a kid to manage there own account.
Posted 17 years ago
beau.raines says:
I'd go with separate accounts (as long as you know the logins for all of them). It also sets them up to keep it when they become more like savannah.
Posted 17 years ago
public225 says:
well -- i think I should say congrats to the hard work to savannah -- if you are doing well in school....blah, blah blah (I have to be parental, not only as a parent, but as a pediatrician) :-)

the individual accts sound like the way to go -- it has become way to confusing otherwise
Posted 17 years ago
chrisp2006 says:
The single family account would work well if you used a tagging system and the smart lists. Perhaps the GTD approach could be included (excellent discipline to learn at an early age).

The multi-account approach could use the task assignments and sharing features. But I would imagine that you'd need a certain level of commitment from everyone to maintain their lists.

The list management task for each person might become its own burden! As a single parent, I find that I often need to create a list and hand it to my kid and tell them "here, pack for the weekend", or "here's your shopping list." I do like the idea of sharing lists with my nanny. Both approaches do have their merrits. I would like to be able to send tasks to her.

I'm on the fence. It really would the best for me (and my kids) if everyone had their own account. But it would be a challenge to get them to use it.
Posted 17 years ago
wsheward says:
Why not just tag the task with the name of the person responsible?

That way they can easily find 'their' tasks from the overview page and get a nice little competition going as to who can keep their name the smallest (as the tag-names will shrink in size as the number of tasks assigned to them decrease).
Posted 17 years ago
(closed account) says:
Ha ha! Wsheward, that is a very good idea. I will recommend it to my friends with large families!

As for you, public225, Each with their own account may work out.

But I like Wsheward's idea best...will kids always be checking their account?

You have to send them shared lists of course, so everyone will be on the same track.
Posted 17 years ago
public225 says:
I have set EACH child with their own account -- and I must say, they love it.

They check their lists in the morning, upon arriving home from school/activites and before bedtime.

We used to do handwritten / copied "to do" lists which worked, but this is better and quicker and saves time as I do not have to remember to put it out each morning.

The ONLY negative so far is that I have to duplicate EACH item for EACH child from scratch as their is no way to either dupicate or better yet, have more than one person "complete" a task -- that takes time, but once set up, it is great

in addtion, I set up new lists for each child's project -- book report etc, which has kept them on task -- for now :-)

I have their lists "shared with me" -- which I am not sure is good or bad yet -- their lists are somewhat complete-- make bed, clean room, eat breakfast, get school snack etc, etc -- that is a LOT of tasks and so I am not yet sure if MY getting the notices of wheather their tasks are complete/not complete is of benefit

time will tell
Posted 17 years ago
ranbarton Power Poster says:
Regarding creating identical tasks for multiple accounts...

Would it work if you emailed the same series of tasks to the import emails of all the target accounts?

If it did, I'd guess that would be a quicker way, but I have not tried either method, so it's just a guess.
Posted 17 years ago
This topic has now been closed automatically due to a lack of responses in the past 90 days.