Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

How do you people keep up with this forum?

moerl says:
I'm a member of more forums on the web than I can count and each one of them has a mechanism for tracking new posts.. I realize that this isn't a full-blown forum script, but I'm just wondering.. how do you people here keep up with new posts? I don't even see a focused way of doing this here.. it takes far too long to just click through guessing what's new and what isn't...
Posted at 9:57am on October 14, 2005
airolg says:
I agree, it's so hard to remember when thread you've read or if anything is new.

I did notice that the entry page tells you if any of the three forums had new comments, however, when you go into one, the "new" comments are lost on the other two forums.

I've just been re-reading everything. I guess, since it's Beta, we just have to stuck with it until the kinks are ironed out.

I guess...
Posted 18 years ago
ajobin says:
If you just want to watch one or two threads you could try www.watchthatpage.com
Posted 18 years ago
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
There are definitely things that can be improved with the forum, and we'll get onto that soon.

If you have specific feature requests, please post them here :)
Posted 18 years ago
moerl says:
Well, for starters, how about using a real forum script? This is my absolute favorite: http://www.simplemachines.org/

If you want to see it in action, visit the forums at www.donationcoder.com. It would not only make using the forum more convenient, fun and effective, it would also help you with the very purpose of having a forum in the first place.

The current forum is the most stripped down version of a forum I've ever seen. It blends in with the site's simplicity, but this is an instance where focus on simplicity has overrun usability.

In short: upgrade your forum software on the server.
Posted 18 years ago
moerl says:
On a side-note.. there also seems to be a bug with the forum concerning Opera 8.5. When I hit "post", the page never finishes loading. I have to hit F5 to reload the page to have it show my latest post...
Posted 18 years ago
svenden says:
Well, I rather like how easy and uncomplicated this forum is. The only features I would like to add are:

- nested discussions, so i can reply to someone else's comment
- some indication of which threads/discussions are new or have been expanded since my last visit
- email notification option if someone replies to your post
Posted 18 years ago
hi.mary says:
Yes, please _don't_ use a "real" forum script. I love this one, like I love stock.xchng's forum.

I'd be happy with read/unread ability.
Posted 18 years ago
ernal says:
I would like the ability to quote from another users post.
Posted 18 years ago
sjvilla79 says:
but I'm just wondering.. how do you people here keep up with new posts?

Ever heard of bookmarking a page? It works really well. I like del.icio.us. It's the shiznit!

Anyway, this forum is fine. I mean it's not freaking Neowin here. And thank fudge for that.

Morons, learn some basic HTML.
Posted 18 years ago
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
sjvilla79, please be nice :)

moerl's post referred to our initial version of the forum, where it was harder to keep track of new and updated posts.

Hopefully things should be a little easier now, although I'm still hassling Omar to fix the unread issue :)

Please keep the suggestions coming :)
Posted 18 years ago
sjvilla79 says:
Emily, yes. Sorry. :)

Carry on, grasshoppers!
Posted 18 years ago
This topic has now been closed automatically due to a lack of responses in the past 90 days.