Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

selection driving me nuts

michael.fessler says:
Hi -- can anyone share with me their workflow with RTM? I like it generally, but I am constantly acting on more items than I planned due to more things that I wanted being selected. I think the particular things that trip me up are:

a) Items remaining selected after I act on them (by default).

b) Complete/postpone working on all checked items, regardless of multi-act being on or off.

So I am constantly doing this:

click on an item
change something on it (like due date)
click on something else
postpone or complete -- wham, both things get nailed.

I think I would like one of the following:

a) By default, de-select items after acting on them; maybe a keystroke to re-select previous item.

b) ALL commands requiring "m" in order to act on multiple items.

c) Ideally: rethinking the selection model, so that you can do a simple highlight of one item at a time -- when you click on something new, it deselects the previous item. If you want to act on multiple items, explicitly click the checkboxes.

As it is, I really like RTM and would seriously consider paying for it, but the UI frustrations are driving me bats.

Anyone have a workflow they can share with me that avoids the problems I describe?

--Michael
Posted at 4:53pm on June 27, 2006
balle says:
ditto... i agree...

It does take a little bit of effort to remember to de-select an item before moving on to the next item

ByTheWay... I love the program... I previewed TaDa lists, Voo2Do lists and Google ToDo before I moved to RTM
Posted 17 years ago
sen.ye says:
I second this point. What about add a switch in the setting to turn on or off.
Posted 17 years ago
(closed account) says:
A big "ditto" to michael.fessler's entire post!
Posted 17 years ago
gmalone says:
I, like many of us, have adopted RTM to organize my professional and personal life tasks. It's a wonderful tool. BUT, the selection issues being discussed in this thread are absolutely aggravating and lead to errors.

Of all the solutions suggested, the one that makes the most sense is to require "multiselect (m)" mode to be ON if you want a checkbox left on everything you've acted on recently. Otherwise, when selecting a task, DESELECT all others.

Come on RTM, this should be obvious and as simple as a few lines of code to straighten out. :)
Posted 17 years ago
This topic has now been closed automatically due to a lack of responses in the past 90 days.