Do you spend your days thinking of the perfect way to automate deployment and monitoring of systems? Do thoughts of unpackaged files send shivers down your spine? Do you know your puppets from your chefs? This might be the position for you!
What does a Systems Administrator do at Remember The Milk?
You'll be working with our engineering team to ensure that Remember The Milk is always fast and available. You'll be responsible for the design and build of systems, troubleshooting software, hardware, applications and network issues, performance analysis, service architecture, database administration and capacity planning. This is a full-time, "work from anywhere" position (Earth-dwellers only, please).
An ideal candidate has:
- 5+ years of experience with Linux (preferably RHEL)
- Expert PostgreSQL knowledge
- Proven ability to build large, reliable and scalable infrastructure
- Computer Science degree or equivalent work experience
- Strong development experience in shell scripting and at least one other scripting language (Python, Ruby)
- Experience with version control (we use git, and have our very own internal GitHub)
- Open source involvement and contribution
- Familiarity with messaging systems such as XMPP and AMQP
- Experience with Puppet and systems maintenance automation
- Experience building highly available, fault tolerant systems
- A psychic-like analytical ability to pinpoint bugs and performance issues in high pressure situations
- Being an active user of Remember The Milk
A little about us and how we work
- We're a small company founded in Sydney, Australia by two people and one stuffed monkey. We're now based in San Francisco.
- Our team is distributed around the world, with team members living on 5 different continents. We don't have an office.
- Everyone works from home and sets their own hours (whether you like to start your day at 6am, 11am, or 3pm, that's fine with us :).
- We keep in touch with each other primarily over a private IRC channel, as well as email and IM.
- We have a company meet-up once a year, where we bring the whole team together.
- We love and use open source software, and try to open source everything we can.
- We're all a little bit crazy (as evidenced by one of our founders being a stuffed monkey).
Interested in this position? Please email firstname.lastname@example.org
with the subject "Systems Administrator". Please tell us a little bit about yourself, and include your resume, your timezone, and responses to the following questions:
- What's your favourite server Linux distribution, and why?
- Without consulting any documentation, describe your optimal filesystem layout for a PostgreSQL installation.
- Describe a networking issue you've encountered that was particularly difficult to diagnose and correct.