Did you fall in love with Scala at first sight? Do you dream of actors, DSLs, implicits and pattern matching? Does a copy of Cal Henderson's "Building Scalable Web Sites" (or "Scalable Internet Architectures" by Theo Schlossnagle -- we're not too picky! :) reside on your person at all times? This might be the position for you!
What does a Software Engineer (Scala) do at Remember The Milk?
You'll be working on the backend of our web application and other interfaces. You'll collaborate with front-end engineers and will be responsible for creating robust high volume production applications, as well as quick development of prototypes. This is a full-time, "work from anywhere" position (Earth-dwellers only, please).
An ideal candidate has:
- Expert knowledge developing and debugging Scala
- Strong software development experience in C or Java
- Computer Science degree or equivalent work experience
- Experience developing in a Linux/Unix environment
- Experience with SQL and database systems
- Experience with version control (we use git, and have our very own internal GitHub)
- Open source involvement and contribution
- Familiarity with messaging systems such as XMPP and AMQP
- Experience with PostgreSQL
- Experience developing and deploying highly scalable Internet architectures
- An understanding of Unicode, internationalization and localization
- A psychic-like ability to pinpoint bugs and performance issues in high pressure situations
- Being an active user of Remember The Milk
A little about us and how we work
- We're a small company founded in Sydney, Australia by two people and one stuffed monkey. We're now based in San Francisco.
- Our team is distributed around the world, with team members living on 5 different continents. We don't have an office.
- Everyone works from home and sets their own hours (whether you like to start your day at 6am, 11am, or 3pm, that's fine with us :).
- We keep in touch with each other primarily over a private IRC channel, as well as email and IM.
- We have a company meet-up once a year, where we bring the whole team together.
- We love and use open source software, and try to open source everything we can.
- We're all a little bit crazy (as evidenced by one of our founders being a stuffed monkey).
Interested in this position? Please email firstname.lastname@example.org
with the subject "Software Engineer (Scala)" and include the following:
- A little bit about yourself.
- Samples of your Scala code (links to GitHub etc strongly preferred, attachments also accepted).
- Your resume.